Programming reminder: T.J. Weist... | The Boneyard

Programming reminder: T.J. Weist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Joe D. stated earlier in the week that Coach W. will be his guest on tonight's edition of WTIC Sportstalk.
Joe gave no indication whether the interview will be live or pre-taped. If live, I hope that call in questions will be fielded.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Question #1 what direction would you like to take program when your head coach in 2014?

Reaction Score
Question #1 what direction would you like to take program when your head coach in 2014?

I don't disagree with your premise, but how do you suppose this will happen? If PP gets fired, it's b/c the team didn't play well this year, and if the team doesn't play well, Weist probably had something to do with that, so it would be a stretch to hire him as HC in that scenario.

If they play well, particularly the offense, we will win and PP will keep his job and Weist stays as OC. I have a gut feeling that this is going to happen, no logic behind it though.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but the only scenario where Weist is looked at for HC in 2014 is if the offense shows great improvement but we loose, which I don't think is very likely. It is more likely the team is bad all around, we loose, and we clean house and start looking again.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your premise, but how do you suppose this will happen? If PP gets fired, it's b/c the team didn't play well this year, and if the team doesn't play well, Weist probably had something to do with that, so it would be a stretch to hire him as HC in that scenario.

If they play well, particularly the offense, we will win and PP will keep his job and Weist stays as OC. I have a gut feeling that this is going to happen, no logic behind it though.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but the only scenario where Weist is looked at for HC in 2014 is if the offense shows great improvement but we loose, which I don't think is very likely. It is more likely the team is bad all around, we loose, and we clean house and start looking again.
Their is no way PP makes it another season no way, it won't be Weists fault because he will need more than 1 year to install new offense. My feeling is Warde knows their is no future with PP and he promotes from with in,guy seems like a helluva motivator, and he's young to boot.

Reaction Score
Their is no way PP makes it another season no way, it won't be Weists fault because he will need more than 1 year to install new offense. My feeling is Warde knows their is no future with PP and he promotes from with in,guy seems like a helluva motivator, and he's young to boot.
Other option: Huskies have dream season and PP retires on top. Weist promoted to HC.

I have other dreams too.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
Other option: Huskies have dream season and PP retires on top. Weist promoted to HC.

I have other dreams too.
Me too, score touchdowns and provide me with endless offensive entertainment instead of frustration.

Reaction Score
Question 3: What do you think about former offensive coordinator George Delone's philosophy that defense is the key to winning games?

Reaction Score
Question 3: What do you think about former offensive coordinator George Delone's philosophy that defense is the key to winning games?
Defense IS key. The Ravens and 49ers proved that. As well as the top SEC programs.

Reaction Score
What if both offense and defense click better this year. Why shouldn't P keep his job? I'm not saying 12-0 or 11-1 but at least 8 wins, a bowl victory and maybe a conference championship. Why would you get rid of him if he could change it around just 3 years into it? The recruiting is improving and that has to pay off on the field sooner or later. Not saying that P is going to bring us to the national championship but if he can get us into a top 30 position.. maybe some of you guys can cut him some slack?

And if not...then maybe get Don Brown back here to run the show and give Weist a big pay raise and free rein on the offense with the understanding that he's heir apparent when DB calls it a career.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If PP gets canned next year, it will be because we went 5-7 again (maybe 6-6). If UConn goes 5-7 next year, plenty of UConn fans will want Weist fired along with PP and the rest of the staff. So, I don't see Weist or anyone else from the staff being in line for the HC job unless PP decides to retire.

Reaction Score
Defense IS key. The Ravens and 49ers proved that. As well as the top SEC programs.
Not something I want to hear from my offensive coordinator, I want him to believe his offense can beat any defense in college football if everyone does their jobs.

Edit:
BTW both ravens and 49ers have solid offenses and Bama offense looked pretty good against that stout D Notre Dame was supposed to have.

Uconnalliance

Reaction Score
If PP gets canned next year, it will be because we went 5-7 again (maybe 6-6). If UConn goes 5-7 next year, plenty of UConn fans will want Weist fired along with PP and the rest of the staff. So, I don't see Weist or anyone else from the staff being in line for the HC job unless PP decides to retire.
Weist needs more than one season to install his offense and recruit some kids to execute it,he may be the only one they keep depending on new coach in 14' let's face it with team P has returning 5 wins is a stretch

Reaction Score
Coaches can go 5-7 and even schmoes like us can see progress underneath the record. During the past 2 seasons of 5-7 it was pretty apparent there was zero progress.

If you want to say the defense show'd progress I'd say thank God Don Brown was here to over see a defense ready to blossom.

Weist has an advantage because all he needs to do is score 14 points in the 2nd half total, for all Big East games, and he gets a statue.

Reaction Score
Weist needs more than one season to install his offense and recruit some kids to execute it,he may be the only one they keep depending on new coach in 14' let's face it with team P has returning 5 wins is a stretch
I think that you are dead wrong. P was left with no D1 QB on the roster when he arrived. He found Whitmer. While it was painful at times, he began to show a glimmer toward the end of the season. Now you have Casey pushing - let's hope. So at least there is a solution for that problem.

The Oline was work in progress but we return almost everybody (including Bennet) and some new guys who were three star recruits.

Cautiously optimistic. Actually P has more returning than we have had in awhile. It's up to him to produce now.

Worried about RB and TE depth.

Reaction Score
Interview?
You can access it online off of the WTIC webpage. (I'm at work, otherwise I would post a link).
Recap as I remember it: (Was a pretaped interview)
1. Question about what led him to UConn. Answer to the effect that he had great admiration for Coaches Pasqualoni & DeLeone & relished the chance to worh with them.
2. Greatest influence on his coaching career. Answer: being on the staff of Homer Smith.
3. Knew Warde Manual: Played against him in a bowl game during his Senior year at Alabama. When T.J.W. was added to the coaching staff at Michigan, W.M. had already graduated.
4. About the facilities: The Schenk is one of the best in the nation. It will be a great recruiting tool because everything needed is under one roof. (practice field, weight training facilities, dietary staff & cafeteria, academic counselling & study halls.) Expanded that UConn has a great advantage over other institutions that don't have such a facility.

Reaction Score
I think that you are dead wrong. P was left with no D1 QB on the roster when he arrived. He found Whitmer. While it was painful at times, he began to show a glimmer toward the end of the season. Now you have Casey pushing - let's hope. So at least there is a solution for that problem.

The Oline was work in progress but we return almost everybody (including Bennet) and some new guys who were three star recruits.

Cautiously optimistic. Actually P has more returning than we have had in awhile. It's up to him to produce now.

Worried about RB and TE depth.

Edsall had one D 1 QB while he was here. Didn't stop him from winning.

PP and GDL tried hammering a big square peg in a small round hole. They forgot to check their ego at the door

Reaction Score

PP and GDL tried hammering a big square peg in a small round hole. They forgot to check their ego at the door
We had Todman and Donald Brown and some good Olines. Covers up the other glaring weaknesses. Maybe Edsall gets three more wins in two years out of it. Not much more. He did not do too much with Bones and DJ. That;s about what P was left with.

Like I said more to be encouraged by, this year, compared to the last two. I like last year's recruiting class. Now we have to get them on the field.

Reaction Score
P has to win this year. A good year this year and the previous two years are forgiven. Another bowl less season, and he has to go. It will be a tall task, but the time for excuses is over, and I agree the talent returning that he inherited on offense was a step down from the last two Edsall years, but he took the job. This is year three, need to see progress, even if a minor bowl bid.

Reaction Score
P has to win this year. A good year this year and the previous two years are forgiven. Another bowl less season, and he has to go. It will be a tall task, but the time for excuses is over, and I agree the talent returning that he inherited on offense was a step down from the last two Edsall years, but he took the job. This is year three, need to see progress, even if a minor bowl bid.
A+

Reaction Score

It did against anyone who wasn't buffalo, or liberty

As awful as PP is, he has as many wins over ranked teams this season as Edsall had in his entire head coaching career (us and md)

Reaction Score
Coaches can go 5-7 and even schmoes like us can see progress underneath the record. During the past 2 seasons of 5-7 it was pretty apparent there was zero progress.

If you want to say the defense show'd progress I'd say thank God Don Brown was here to over see a defense ready to blossom.

Weist has an advantage because all he needs to do is score 14 points in the 2nd half total, for all Big East games, and he gets a statue.

Pasqualoni's been a defensive coach for his entire career. It's delusional to think that he didn't play a part in the defense having the success that it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom