Programming reminder: T.J. Weist... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Programming reminder: T.J. Weist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It did against anyone who wasn't buffalo, or liberty.

As awful as PP is, he has as many wins over ranked teams this season as Edsall had in his entire head coaching career (us and md)
While I think you're exagerating your point with your first sentence. The second one definitely has merit. I don't think we beat a Louisville last year with Edsall, but I don't think you lose to a WMU or terrible Temple, and USF squads either. I think if P, can win this year, at least enough to keep his job, then we can expect to see him beat ranked opponents a lot more often than Edsall ever did.

I say this because I think P schemed specifically to Louisville and Teddy Bridgewater and it worked. They wanted to pressure him up the middle with the DE's not giving up contain and it worked perfectly. They pounded the out of him. With Edsall it always seemed it was basic schemes ran repeatedly to the point where the execution was pretty consistent. That worked well to beat opponents we were more talented than and even at times when the talent was close to slightly inferior, but when the opposing team was clearly more talented we struggled.

I'm hoping that replacing Deleone as OC will lead us to at least 7-5, record and a minor bowl. If he can't accomplish that, then P has run out of time.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni's been a defensive coach for his entire career. It's delusional to think that he didn't play a part in the defense having the success that it did.

Yes, give him credit for the 4 senior bowl players and of course give PP credit for teaching Don Brown how to create a successful defense. You're kidding me right?

As for the previous poster's comment about just beating Buffalo, etc. PP had more WTF losses in 2 years than RE had in 10.

A good coach beats the teams he's supposed to beat. PP has not proven to be a good coach. Temple and Western Michigan have good coaches.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni gets one more year to fix the offense, get to a bowl and put the program back on track that he derailed with terrible decision making.

Hiring a new OC doesn't buy him two more seasons.

Too bad he doesn't play WMU again so he can spend the week prior preparing to stop the run because they have a good passing offense.

Reaction Score
A good coach beats the teams he's supposed to beat. PP has not proven to be a good coach. Temple and Western Michigan have good coaches.

I will agree -- but dont forget that RE lost to BC twice in the last 2 years with a maryland team that won 10 games the year before he got there.

Good coaches don't lose to BC either.

P.S. He also lost to Pasqualoni & DeLeone. That's worse than just about anything.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni gets one more year to fix the offense, get to a bowl and put the program back on track that he derailed with terrible decision making.

Hiring a new OC doesn't buy him two more seasons.

Too bad he doesn't play WMU again so he can spend the week prior preparing to stop the run because they have a good passing offense.

I don't know if people realize they did more prepping to stop the run vs WMU. Brilliant

Reaction Score
No Edsall fan. But P's team is a disorganized mess in comparison. You can see the difference just watching the sideline. We constantly have the wrong players on the field, during timeouts you don't see the orderly communication happening.

How does a team underachieve? It stops doing the little things right. Players make mistakes on the field, that is a given, but when we can't even get it right in the sideline, then the challenge is insurmountable.

That's how you lose to Temple at home because you can't even get into the end zone on your own field.

I didn't like Edsall much, but he was detailed. Pasqualoni's method isn't as thorough. And as long as he is here, we'll lose games like we have the past two seasons. The nature of this beast just isn't going to change.

Reaction Score
I don't know if people realize they did more prepping to stop the run vs WMU. Brilliant
Didn't know this. The two plays that absolutely killed us in this game were the int inside the five when Nick Williams didn't realize the ball was coming to him, and the sack, fumble, scoop and td run by the WMU LB. The defense did enough to knock Carder out the game and befuddle his back up. The offense simply made too many mistakes. Under P, the team has made just enough plays to lose winnable games. We will see if Weist makes a difference.

Reaction Score
Yes, give him credit for the 4 senior bowl players and of course give PP credit for teaching Don Brown how to create a successful defense. You're kidding me right?

As for the previous poster's comment about just beating Buffalo, etc. PP had more WTF losses in 2 years than RE had in 10.

So he gets all of the blame and none of the credit? How about the Western Michigan losses the past two years where their offense lit up our defense? You seem to be blaming Pasqualoni for that. Does Don Brown not get any blame even though his defense was terrible both years?

Reaction Score
Agree with Zoo about he disorganization. I'm hoping coach Weist can improve things here. Maybe by simplifying things?

Reaction Score
Agree with Zoo about he disorganization. I'm hoping coach Weist can improve things here. Maybe by simplifying things?
Can it get much more simple? McCoombs up the gut / McCummings never allowed to throw the ball. It has been simple for many of our opponents defenses for two years. This as ours worked their asses off. Don Brown moved on for more reasons than the ching....

Reaction Score
So he gets all of the blame and none of the credit? How about the Western Michigan losses the past two years where their offense lit up our defense? You seem to be blaming Pasqualoni for that. Does Don Brown not get any blame even though his defense was terrible both years?

Credit for what? For approving a week of practice that focused on the run more than the pass? You picked the wrong coach to lead the apologista charge.

Is there a worse coach than PP for halftime adjustments? No and it's not even debatable. NC St was calling out our plays on the field. No halftime changes and we lose a very winnable game.

Go argue with someone else. You bring nothing to our current discussion.

Reaction Score
By simplify I am refering to what seemed like confusion causing missed assignments on the O-line. Removing the McCummings in and out substitutions which didn't do justice to CW or SM. We would line up and shift and run motion and it never seemed to matter or add up to anything as we would run up the middle. Just line up, no huddle and snap the ball to put pressure on the defense. For the players to have the confidence to run an up tempo offense things would have to be less pointlessly complicated the way it was under GDL.

Reaction Score
Credit for what? For approving a week of practice that focused on the run more than the pass? You picked the wrong coach to lead the apologista charge.

Is there a worse coach than PP for halftime adjustments? No and it's not even debatable. NC St was calling out our plays on the field. No halftime changes and we lose a very winnable game.

Go argue with someone else. You bring nothing to our current discussion.

How hard is it to predict that McCombs was going to run between the tackles?

Reaction Score
Edsall had one D 1 QB while he was here. Didn't stop him from winning.

PP and GDL tried hammering a big square peg in a small round hole. They forgot to check their ego at the door

Edsall had Jordan Todman, Andre Dixon, and Donald Brown. I don't want to imply that having a great running back can help a team win a couple of games, but it seems at least possible.

Reaction Score
During the past 2 seasons of 5-7 it was pretty apparent there was zero progress.

I saw progress. We beat a top 25 team. On the road. Also, I'd prefer if you'd stop speaking for me. While I know that most BYers are in agreement, I do not consider "whatever the mob thinks" to be the de facto truth.

Reaction Score
How hard is it to predict that McCombs was going to run between the tackles?

About as tough as it was to predict that Todman was going to run between Hurd and Masters. So what do you suppose the difference is? I mean, it's not talent, obviously, since if the sun rises in the east, it's Pasqualoni's fault.

Reaction Score
About as tough as it was to predict that Todman was going to run between Hurd and Masters. So what do you suppose the difference is? I mean, it's not talent, obviously, since if the sun rises in the east, it's Pasqualoni's fault.

I find it odd that most posters refuse to admit there might just be a talent issue on offense. Coach P's tenure tgus far has been decidedly sub par, but there was just not alot of talent on O. Poor coaching + poor talent = no bowl.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Well the last two years we will have produced one offensive player with a legit chance at NFL. Two with Kashief, who I felt was under utilized his entire career at UConn.

I really hope the whole jaguar thing was because P felt the players behind McCombs were a big drop off. Otherwise its difficult to understand why you would rotate offensive linemen but not running backs.

Reaction Score
I find it odd that most posters refuse to admit there might just be a talent issue on offense. Coach P's tenure tgus far has been decidedly sub par, but there was just not alot of talent on O. Poor coaching + poor talent = no bowl.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It's quite odd. I have no problem admitting Pasqualoni has made mistakes, but as soon as you suggest it's difficult to win games when you have some talent deficiencies, you're an "apologist."

Reaction Score
If we lacked talent on offense then why teach a difficult offensive blocking scheme used primarily in the NFL?

A coach can't manage time outs. A coach allows a useless wildcat to be called over and over killing drives. A coach who prepares a team to stop the run against a pass happy team.

A coaching staff who shows zero ability to make halftime adjustments. The list goes on and on. None of what I just stated has anythung to do with lack of talent on offense.

An average coach takes the talent we had and makes it work. You don't try and implement something we don't have the talent for.

We should have been bowling the last 2 years.

By the way. Beating a top 25 team on the road 1 time is not an improvement. Ever hear of anomolies? (sp). Winning those games more regularly is an improvement. Too early to tell.

Beating MAC teams at home, Temple included, would be an improvement.

Reaction Score
Edsall had Jordan Todman, Andre Dixon, and Donald Brown. I don't want to imply that having a great running back can help a team win a couple of games, but it seems at least possible.

I was responding to a statement about QB's. I try not to veer off topic to spin things in my favor.

McCombs is more than capable and if we had stuck with the proven power blocking that was so successfull in helping Brown, Dixon and Todman who knows. An even more successfull running game would have helped the passing game even more.

Except our QB would still be running for his life due to...wait for it..due to the fact we were using a blocking scheme that I agree we didn't have the talent for.

Reaction Score
Hate to tell ya but Cincy runs a zone blocking scheme at times so I don't imagine it will go away totally. Hopefully the line gels this year and the backs learn the cuts.

http://www.downthedrive.com/2011/9/28/2454591/Cincinnat-Bearcats-film-study-the-inside-zone

Not sure if inside/outside zone blocking run from the shotgun is the same thing. They run each 30-35 times a game.
One of the plays, in the writer's words, was basically power blocking.

If PP and GDL had just transitioned their style instead of force feeding all at once we would have been much better off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom