Tony Garea circa early 1980s live at Stamford High? Photo by dvegas lol

Attachments

• 20230426_203233.jpg
    20230426_203233.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Great thread. My favorite heel - perhaps across any era - was The Magnificent Muraco:

The best

I remember that but was a bit too young to get the full context. I'll assume this was an inside joke, or a punishment to Muraco since he was obviously gaining weight at that point and wasn't too concerned about having a rock hard body for show?

Similar to the Adrian Adonis or Playboy Buddy Rose stuff as they got fat?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
True story.

My dad and the guys from church used to go to Hartford Civic Center and Springfield Civic Center and eventually I got old enough to tag along (Also possible mom wanted me out of the house for the night). First time I ever smelled weed was in the rafters of Springfield Civic Center. My dad was a steady smoker when I was younger and the all the smoke from the civic center would works it way to the top. i didn't necessarily know it was weed at the time but I knew some people were definitely smoking something different than what my dad smoked.

Also true that I once tried to ride my bike to the Hartford Civic Center to see a wrestling show there. Dad was going to take me if I had been behaving well. Guess my parents and I had different definitions and perspectives of what consitutes behaving well so they said wrestling was out. I got on my bike and took the only route I knew which was the interstate. A while after I left my mom came outside asking all the neighborhood kids where I was and they said I told them I was riding my bike to the civic center. Dad didn't believe but mom knew me well. She picked me on the side of I-84 (Might have been I-86 back then) somewhere near where Bucklands Mall is nowadays. The early 80's were great. A kid somewhere around 10 years old could be on the interstate for a few miles riding with no helmet, no nothing in the breakdown lane and no police, no one pulled over, no nothing. My was equal parts pissed, freaked out and relieved. I got a giant slurpee from 7-11 on the way home. Neighborhood kids were amazed. Life was good before cell phones, internet, 5G and social media.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I remember that but was a bit too young to get the full context. I'll assume this was an inside joke, or a punishment to Muraco since he was obviously gaining weight at that point and wasn't too concerned about having a rock hard body for show?

Similar to the Adrian Adonis or Playboy Buddy Rose stuff as they got fat?

It was more about arrogance. When he had his shot going around the horn with Backlund he was doing interviews while eating jelly doughnuts.

Reaction Score
True story.

My dad and the guys from church used to go to Hartford Civic Center and Springfield Civic Center and eventually I got old enough to tag along (Also possible mom wanted me out of the house for the night). First time I ever smelled weed was in the rafters of Springfield Civic Center. My dad was a steady smoker when I was younger and the all the smoke from the civic center would works it way to the top. i didn't necessarily know it was weed at the time but I knew some people were definitely smoking something different than what my dad smoked.

Also true that I once tried to ride my bike to the Hartford Civic Center to see a wrestling show there. Dad was going to take me if I had been behaving well. Guess my parents and I had different definitions and perspectives of what consitutes behaving well so they said wrestling was out. I got on my bike and took the only route I knew which was the interstate. A while after I left my mom came outside asking all the neighborhood kids where I was and they said I told them I was riding my bike to the civic center. Dad didn't believe but mom knew me well. She picked me on the side of I-84 (Might have been I-86 back then) somewhere near where Bucklands Mall is nowadays. The early 80's were great. A kid somewhere around 10 years old could be on the interstate for a few miles riding with no helmet, no nothing in the breakdown lane and no police, no one pulled over, no nothing. My was equal parts pissed, freaked out and relieved. I got a giant slurpee from 7-11 on the way home. Neighborhood kids were amazed. Life was good before cell phones, internet, 5G and social media.

So true. Kids today have no idea what 70's and 89's kids went through.

We were so fortunate to have to figure things out on our own.

I would ride my bike everywhere and parents had no clue where we were, who we were with. No phones, no gps and sometimes no money.

I also remember having to type book reports on a manual typewriter, white out, ink ribbons, going to the library to make copies of research,

Strange new world

Reaction Score
Alright, here's my two cents

I remember Ivan Putski, the Polish Hammer move.
Bruno Sammartino
Chief J Strong Bow
Afa and Sika the Samoan Brothers
Junk Yard Dog
The Iron Sheik
Hawkshaw Jim Duggan

Managers Captain Lou Albano,
The Grand Wizard - pulled pants off
Miss Elizabeth
Pall Bearer

Randy Macho Man Savage gave the best interviews, still classic today on social media

The royal rumbles and cage matches

I remember buying the toy figures for my nephews

Could go on, too much. WWF was always better than the WCW

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I can't even remember which channel it was on, but for a while I kept running across a program called "Tales from the Territories." A bunch of the people from the biz from the 70s and early 80s, spinning yarns and recalling the good 'ol days. Probably many of you would enjoy watching some of that if you can find it.

Reaction Score
Miss Elizabeth was my first love, what an absolute ROCKET she was.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can't even remember which channel it was on, but for a while I kept running across a program called "Tales from the Territories." A bunch of the people from the biz from the 70s and early 80s, spinning yarns and recalling the good 'ol days. Probably many of you would enjoy watching some of that if you can find it.
It's on YouTube. It gets pushed to me.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Did anyone mention Canada's greatest athlete: Iron Mike Sharpe?

Reaction Score
There is so much good wrestling content from that era to be found on YouTube. So much of it would never fly today, like this promo from Dr D, David Schultz. He was the guy who smacked John Stossel when he asked if wrestling was fake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom