Possible portal targets | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What am my missing here? Ta’Quan Roberson, for no fault of his pwn, was injured before having a chance to prove himself. I have no problem going for depth. Nothing like bringing in a transfer from Penn State and then recruiting over him. I realize he may not be ready by the beginning of next season, but good luck getting a transfer at this point better than him and what does it say to other recruits when you do that?

It says if you are injured and may not be ready to play in the spring and fall camp, then the program is bringing in other players. Every player knows that. Can't not have Roberson practicing in spring and fall camp and then hoping he is good to go for the start of the season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’m hoping we don’t have holes at WR. I think we have talent there when everyone is healthy. We need the QB to get them the ball. I just don’t buy that no one is open. I’ve watched a lot of tape and we’ve had guys open, especially in big moments, but Zion didn’t even look their way. Granted, not as many guys were open as I’d like, but definitely enough that we could have had much better results. Zion just doesn’t see the field well enough at this point. Hopefully, that skill gets developed. People used to say nobody was open when Pindell got here. Shirrefs came in and suddenly everyone was open.

I'll say same thing I just said about QB's. Good or bad, need depth behind Marion and Ross and both of them were injured. Need serious upgrade in talent at WR. Really need at least 6 who can play D1 quality football. That means crisp routes, winning 50/50 balls, no false starts or illegal procedure penalties and good blocking. UConn doesn't have that.

Reaction Score
I realize that, my point however is that I disagree that we need to get a “FCS” proven talent to come in and immediately start next season. I am fine with taking the guy from Maine, but what would I know??? I believe Zion will be fine next season. He just needs to clear his mind. He is a “FCS” level quarterback and will compete very well against anything at this point we could get in the portal from what I can see so far. Roberson knows our offense and I don’t think missing Spring practice is going to set him back too far. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him out there doing light duty.

Reaction Score
A previous post mentioned his name and another. I “assumed” someone knew more than I did.
Neither Plummer or Brin had known UConn offers that I’m aware of - just folks connecting Twitter dots/follows from UConn staff (unknown chronology of the staff follows - not an exact science @ that).

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Neither Plummer or Brin had known UConn offers that I’m aware of - just folks connecting Twitter dots/follows from UConn staff (unknown chronology of the staff follows - not an exact science @ that).
Thanks for the explanation....I was with @uconnfan68 ...I thought he was offered.

Reaction Score
I'll say same thing I just said about QB's. Good or bad, need depth behind Marion and Ross and both of them were injured. Need serious upgrade in talent at WR. Really need at least 6 who can play D1 quality football. That means crisp routes, winning 50/50 balls, no false starts or illegal procedure penalties and good blocking. UConn doesn't have that.
I mean that would be ideal, but Marion, Ross, Clercius (who should have had double the yards last year, but was missed by Zion A TON), Joly as a hybrid TE and whatever we can get from Fitzgerald is pretty solid IMO.

Reaction Score
This is for me where things will get real interesting going forward. We desperately needed the portal last year. We found guys who were 1 yr plugs and proved invaluable. We should always use the portal, but how does this staff going forward balance developmental work with quick fixes. I don’t have a great answer, but I do like the approach of getting portals w/lots of eligibility left (see mich TE) over quick fixes, going forward.

Reaction Score
I mean that would be ideal, but Marion, Ross, Clercius (who should have had double the yards last year, but was missed by Zion A TON), Joly as a hybrid TE and whatever we can get from Fitzgerald is pretty solid IMO.
There is also Louis Hansen, the TE from Michigan. Hopefully he can help as well.

Reaction Score
You are worried about the top of the depth chart. This is likely a bottom of the depth chart addition. We didn’t even have enough QBs available to run proper practices at times this season. We need some bodies and we may still lose a QB or two. We just don’t know.

As far as this signing goes, I haven’t watched him play nor do I know anything about him. Maybe he is better than we think. I don’t know much about Maine, their OL or anything else going on there. Nick Charlton is very familiar with him though. Maybe he sees something in him.
Perhaps under a better OLine he would be more effective. Didn’t look like Maine had an effective one

Reaction Score
This is for me where things will get real interesting going forward. We desperately needed the portal last year. We found guys who were 1 yr plugs and proved invaluable. We should always use the portal, but how does this staff going forward balance developmental work with quick fixes. I don’t have a great answer, but I do like the approach of getting portals w/lots of eligibility left (see mich TE) over quick fixes, going forward.
Mora has already stated his approach, and I think it's a good one. Recruit and develop the bulk of the team through recruiting and plug holes through the portal. This is analogous to the NFL formula of building the team through the draft but plugging holes with free agents and trades.

This past year we had a lot of holes that needed plugging. This year, maybe not so much. We will see.

Reaction Score
Yup. I was thinking beyond that. You can use the portal in a variety of ways, too. I prefer going after guys w/3 or 4 years eligibility over 1 year stopgaps. We had no choice last year, but to do both. Effectively, I’m advocating that we use the portal as recruiting 2.0. Regardless, this is the first staff in over a decade that has earned trust of fan base to do what they think best.

Reaction Score
Yup. I was thinking beyond that. You can use the portal in a variety of ways, too. I prefer going after guys w/3 or 4 years eligibility over 1 year stopgaps. We had no choice last year, but to do both. Effectively, I’m advocating that we use the portal as recruiting 2.0. Regardless, this is the first staff in over a decade that has earned trust of fan base to do what they think best.
That's a good point.

Reaction Score

I am happy with the one and dones as needed. They would not come if we did not have a gap. If there are P5 transfers with multiple years remaining, like Hansen, and they are good or better than what we can get via HS, then we take them. I believe we are in a good position to look for P5 talent transfers. As we improve, our chances also improve.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
replace Fitgerald with Aaron Turner and you have a point. Fitzgerald didn't show much before his injury in terms of separation.

Reaction Score
We have gaping holes at QB, Center, Tight End and WR on offense. Defense needs LB and depth at CB.
I agree about QB and OC. I also think that a big RB is a glaring need.

But we just signed two TEs, one high school, one portal. And we have very good depth returning at WR. Cam Ross looked terrific in South Carolina. Aaron Turner and Keelan Marion return and I think the staff still has high hopes for Dajon Harrison.

Mitchell returning helps the LB core quit a bit. There are lots of answers at DB.

Ultimately, we need either an upgrade from the outside at QB or for one of the roster QBs to make a HUGE jump.

Reaction Score
replace Fitgerald with Aaron Turner and you have a point. Fitzgerald didn't show much before his injury in terms of separation.
I always thought of Fitzgerald as more of a possession guy than a speed guy. He was big and seemed to have good hands.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you lose your best receivers, it makes makes life tougher for the possession type guys. If you have to worry about Ross and Marion it isn’t as easy to cover others.

Reaction Score
Gotta admit...I wish he would have come here...but he looks like a perfect fit in LA...lol.
UCLA also got the Kent State QB.

The gap between the haves and have nots will
Just grow with this unlimited free agency. Need some structure around this

Reaction Score
UCLA also got the Kent State QB.

The gap between the haves and have nots will
Just grow with this unlimited free agency. Need some structure around this
You just described the structure. Yes, the freedom, overall, benefits players, but the only reason the players were granted the freedom was because the larger schools with the leverage realized this system would be in their interest.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You just described the structure. Yes, the freedom, overall, benefits players, but the only reason the players were granted the freedom was because the larger schools with the leverage realized this system would be in their interest.
And because any other way would be a gross infringement on the free labor market.

I’d rather the kids have free movement year to year with windows to just help corral the process rather than our old system of limitations. Be free people!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
And because any other way would be a gross infringement on the free labor market.

I’d rather the kids have free movement year to year with windows to just help corral the process rather than our old system of limitations. Be free people!
I agree....it was tough to see coaches have freedom to go where they want and student athletes had restrictions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom