• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
It won't be overpaying for Apple. Live sports will drive subscription revenue, and Apple in particular needs more content because unlike Max or ParamountPlus, Apple doesn't have decades of old content to sell. Apple wants to drive a stake into cable and the pure resellers like Sling and Fubo. Apple has basically been an entertainment and communications device company for two decades. Live sports will be harder to commoditize, but they can't be in the video business without it. I think they have to buy enough content to have a credible sports department.

I am not sure what the right move for ESPN is. At one point I got them trying to be a sports broadcasting monopoly, but now, who knows? Them being the only show in town for most of this century has covered up a lot of terrible decisions. They have spent 20 years trying to shrink the market for their college content, which doesn't make sense from a competitive or revenue standpoint. They have basically made themselves completely dependent on the SEC in the streaming era, which was both stupid and avoidable. Every time I think ESPN has made the stupidest decision possible, they top it with another one.
I agree with all of this!

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the 56 pages but if UConn does accept a Big 12 invite what are all your feelings on no more conference tourney in MSG? I got to think Benedict and the UConn brass want UConn in MSG in March. Anyway Big 12 would want to and if they did, can they work a deal to move their conference tourney?

Reaction Score
I think it's ironic to a degree how the argument against Whalers 2.0 overlapping NYC and Boston is an argument in favor of UConn.
I get your point, but St. John’s and BC aren’t the Rangers and the Bruins. If St. John’s had won all the men’s and women’s championships we have, no one would be looking at UConn to help it with the NY market.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been mentioned in the 56 pages but if UConn does accept a Big 12 invite what are all your feelings on no more conference tourney in MSG? I got to think Benedict and the UConn brass want UConn in MSG in March. Anyway Big 12 would want to and if they did, can they work a deal to move their conference tourney?

The big 12 isn't going to want their conference tourney in new york, that makes no sense. It also wouldn't even be the same.

I think everybody would miss the Big East tournament but it is what it is, not enough to make this not the right move

Reaction Score

Very few people would actually prefer in today’s world, and just looking at men’s basketball, to be in the Big XII. But there are other sports (even if not as important at UConn) and the conference and college sports world is in transition.

Reaction Score
Small correction. Before i was "FB guy" i was a middle school kid that fell in love with the NIT championship team that featured guys like Jeff King and Rob Spider Ursery. I follow UConn in all sports whenever i can. Hockey in espn+, using the browser on my amazon fire silk browser to watch baseball UConn+. So, i don't consider myseld just a FB guy. I watched Kerry Bascom lead UConn to the final four against Dawn Staley and Virginia.

In my heart i feel moving to the Big12 not because I'm a football guy, but because I'm a UConn guy.
Apologies since i can't type worth of crap on a cell phone.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how much UConn would have to spend on football to be a top 25 program in a consistent basis?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Does anyone know how much UConn would have to spend on football to be a top 25 program in a consistent basis?

No one really knows and it's likely not possible due to our recruiting geography. We'd have to keep every kid that goes to high major p5 every year which isn't really possible.

Reaction Score

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Reaction Score

Yes. We have already invested in the facilities, so facilities upgrade is ZERO. Stadium: We need to expand to hold the 42K we sold for the Michigan game, so there is an expense there, but since we don‘t own the stadium the cost of expansion is ZERO. And we need to up Mora by 3M a year and another 2-3M for the staff. So, we need an extra 5-6 Million. Doing the math , our biggest problem is figuring out where to spend the additional 40-50 Million we would receive in the B12. Any other questions?

Reaction Score
Yes. We have already invested in the facilities, so facilities upgrade is ZERO. Stadium: We need to expand to hold the 42K we sold for the Michigan game, so there is an expense there, but since we don‘t own the stadium the cost of expansion is ZERO. And we need to up Mora by 3M a year and another 2-3M for the staff. So, we need an extra 5-6 Million. Doing the math , our biggest problem is figuring out where to spend the additional 40-50 Million we would receive in the B12. Any other questions?
I don't understand what you wrote. I wasn't being flippant, I'm genuinely curious. The coaching staff at schools like Alabama and Oklahoma, etc spend more on their coaching state than most basketball schools spend on their entire program. I also know Oklahoma is spending $300 million to upgrade their facilities for the move to the SEC.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't understand what you wrote. I wasn't being flippant, I'm genuinely curious. The coaching staff at schools like Alabama and Oklahoma, etc spend more on their coaching state than most basketball schools spend on their entire program. I also know Oklahoma is spending $300 million to upgrade their facilities for the move to the SEC.
We just want to be competitive, not top 10 in the whole sport.

Reaction Score

We don’t need to update our facilities and as I suggested we need to spend on the staff. We have an ex-NFL head coach who seems to know what he is doing. CPF bound, probably not, be I think Mora makes us respectable in the B12 in a few years And in a bowl.

Reaction Score
The excitement in the the big east last year was like the old big east… just crazy…this coming year it might even be better with the coaching changes at St. John’s and Georgetown

Reaction Score
No one really knows and it's likely not possible due to our recruiting geography. We'd have to keep every kid that goes to high major p5 every year which isn't really possible.
Even if the ceiling is 8-4, 9-3, and lighting in a bottle 10 win season. That's damn good enough in a P5 league. But no one really knows. UConn in a P5 can attract a Chip Kelly or Pat Narduzzi. New England guys who can punch above their weight. In G5 purgatory this is a near impossible job because you're trying to recruit against P5s RU, SU, Pitt, PSU BC.

That's a tough spot to be in.

Reaction Score
We don’t need to update our facilities and as I suggested we need to spend on the staff. We have an ex-NFL head coach who seems to know what he is doing. CPF bound, probably not, be I think Mora makes us respectable in the B12 in a few years And in a bowl.
I go to at last one game per year, and the facilities are below most Big 12 schools. Kansas had poor football facilities, but they're undergoing a $300 million renovation, too.

I hope they get a Big 12 invite because I love college football and would like to see high end teams. It's just if you're going to make this move, you need to go into it with a plan to be competitive.

Reaction Score
This post is horrendous.

For starters:

1.Hurley isn’t leaving because we go to the B12….THE END

2. We are not going to start recruiting 3 stars because we join one of the best basketball conferences in America. Our #3 class this year has players from Seattle and Georgia on it. We are a national brand not a northeast one. We’ll recruit just fine. We recruited just fine in the AAC before Ollie ollied himself into a mid major roster. Bouknight committed in the AAC, Alterique Gilbert(McDonald’s all American) committed in the AAC, Jalen Adams(top 30 borderline 5 star) committed in the AAC. And that was with half a***** effort from Ollie. Hurley is a masterful recruiter and I’d wager recruiting wouldn’t fall off at all.
I remember they had an outstanding class rating wise. Probably top 5. Vital was the only one that panned out. Also transfer portal and nil have changed college athleticsI love the Big East and they haven’t been invited but don’t know if it is sustainable with how things are changing.

Reaction Score
Didn't we just lose a local recruit to the Big 12?
Who?
It's very overrated. Case in point, we lose to Marquette in the BET this year but win the NCAA and nobody gives a flip about the loss to Marquette anymore, however if we win the BET this year but lose to S Mary's half the board would want to fire Hurley.
Big East tournament is very overrated because UConn didn't win it and they won the national championship.

That's some tortured logic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom