Portland 3 pt arc is different on each end | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Portland 3 pt arc is different on each end

Reaction Score
The distances are clearly visible from the rim to the top of the key, although the distances in the corners don't appear to be different.

In any event, it didn't make much difference. All in all, it was a bad night for 3-point shooting (20% combined for both teams). In the first half, Duke shot 1/9 (11%) from 3 on the "long" side, and UConn 0/5 (0%) on the "short" side. In the second half, Duke shot 3/10 (30%) on the "short" side, and UConn 3/11 (27%) on the "long" side.

Totals for both teams: "Short" end -- 3/15 (20%); "long" end -- 4/20 (20%).

Still, it's an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
The fact that not a single ref, game analyst, sideline reporter, commentator, or “journalist” noted this in any of the several previous contests at the venue is almost as big a failure as that of the NCAA. I will be curious to see if any of them ultimately concede as much.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I am not sure I agree because it can affect the momentum of the game. If your team gets the short 3-pt line first and happens to make more 3-pt and build a big lead, you could play the game differently when you are on the other side. It definitely can affect the outcome of the game.
It makes no difference, both teams get 2 chances to shoot at the short court and a chance to swing momentum their way.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
The distances are clearly visible from the rim to the top of the key, although the distances in the corners don't appear to be different.

In any event, it didn't make much difference. All in all, it was a bad night for 3-point shooting (20% combined for both teams). In the first half, Duke shot 1/9 (11%) from 3 on the "long" side, and UConn 0/5 (0%) on the "short" side. In the second half, Duke shot 3/10 (30%) on the "short" side, and UConn 3/11 (27%) on the "long" side.

Totals for both teams: "Short" end -- 3/15 (20%); "long" end -- 4/20 (20%).

Still, it's an embarrassment.
Perfectly explained, it had nothing to do with the lines it was just bad 3pt shooting

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
63E98C52-08AD-4DD0-8428-980CF6319303.jpeg

Reaction Score
That’s why UConn kept missing three’s in the 1st half. Most everything was back rimmed.
That’s the other conspiracy. The balls are overinflated, causing shots to be long.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That’s the other conspiracy. The balls are overinflated, causing shots to be long.
When a person shoots a three pointer over and over in practices and games they get a feel of what type of force they need to put behind the shot to make it. If they are standing behind the line like they do in practice then they are going to use that same force. Their shot is going to long if the line is short in the distance or short if it is long in the distance. That's the facts, not a conspiracy.

Reaction Score
It makes no difference, both teams get 2 chances to shoot at the short court and a chance to swing momentum their way.
I don’t agree with this at all. Had UConn hit 1-2 3pnt in the first half, it would be much harder for Duke to have their run in the second half , morality wise.

Reaction Score
Perfectly explained, it had nothing to do with the lines it was just bad 3pt shooting
I don't buy that. I'm sure the difference between the two could be confusing and then even mess up your shot on the right end.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I don’t agree with this at all. Had UConn hit 1-2 3pnt in the first half, it would be much harder for Duke to have their run in the second half , morality wise.
Scroll back to post #27 and post #33 I thk it will help you understand wht you're misunderstanding

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I don't buy that. I'm sure the difference between the two could be confusing and then even mess up your shot on the right end.
Mess up your shot?....explain plz

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Mess up your shot?....explain plz
Read my post #38, that will explain it for you. If you don't understand it, then you didn't practice to be perfect when you played a sport.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Read my post #38, that will explain it for you. If you don't understand it, then you didn't practice to be perfect when you played a sport.
Played a lot of ball in my life ... in the Greater Hartford Pro Am I actually played against college and pro players. My biggest thrill was blocking Kembas short jumper in the lane...cleanly
So wht if he scored 42 on my team

Reaction Score
I am not sure I agree because it can affect the momentum of the game. If your team gets the short 3-pt line first and happens to make more 3-pt and build a big lead, you could play the game differently when you are on the other side. It definitely can affect the outcome of the game.
Most shooters don't look at the line when they are shooting so I don't think it had any real impact but it still should be right. They need to take a book from the men and have 4 regions and quit with all the travel. UConn is too good to have to travel all the way across the country to play in Regionals.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
But I somewhat see where your muscle memory theory comes in, but you kinda missed the various situations tht come into play, a good shooter adjust to the shot, sometimes more arch is needed sometimes sliding more to the left or right . Only set shooters practice from the same distances and spots. From my experience.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
But I somewhat see where your muscle memory theory comes in, but you kinda missed the various situations tht come into play, a good shooter adjust to the shot, sometimes more arch is needed sometimes sliding more to the left or right . Only set shooters practice from the same distances and spots. From my experience.
Go watch Paige and Azzi practice videos on You Tube, they are practicing from the same distances and spots over and over and over. Do you not think that they may have adjusted their shots in the second half and that is why they didn't shoot the 3's so well?

Reaction Score
When a person shoots a three pointer over and over in practices and games they get a feel of what type of force they need to put behind the shot to make it. If they are standing behind the line like they do in practice then they are going to use that same force. Their shot is going to long if the line is short in the distance or short if it is long in the distance. That's the facts, not a conspiracy.
There is a viral site specifically related to overinflated Wilson basketballs on the mens tournament. Apparently there is NO standard.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Go watch Paige and Azzi practice videos on You Tube, they are practicing from the same distances and spots over and over and over. Do you not think that they may have adjusted their shots in the second half and that is why they didn't shoot the 3's so well?
If you're jumping and shooting
Oh I've seen their videos and imo Azzi has better form, feet spaced correctly, high point of release, shoulders square and perfect release off her hand, mechanical and pure, Paige is great at making situational adjustments on the run and using her opponents positions to get a good shot off (her spot)wherever she shoots from and is better at using the backboard even if her shoulders aren't square. She has perfect body control thts why it's rare to see her shot get blocked. My opinion of the game is just a bad shooting day for both teams but especially bad for a UConn team who shot 19% from 3pt range combined with 40% fg percentage at both ends of the court. My closing argument is Ash went 0-3 from the corners, to me thts unheard of.....just one of those days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom