Poll - Who Should be Coach of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll - Who Should be Coach of the Year

Who Should be Coach of the year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno's still the best coach, but I'd vote for Dawn based on this discussion because it qualifies the vote.

Reaction Score
Is this really a hard question to answer?

In October, during the SEC's Media Days, the media voted based on paper - and not based on actual talent - what USC was bringing back for this season, and voted them to finish 7th - SEVENTH - in their conference. And while the media oftentimes displays a true ignorance in reviewing sports teams (and they certainly screwed the pooch here), it all shows how much BOTH Staley and USC were under-appreciated, as well as how improved as a program they were all in the same breadth.

Or it could just mean that the other teams in the SEC are overrated.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Kim doesn't win COY she better damn well win Best Dressed and Most Congenial!

Reaction Score
If Kim doesn't win COY she better damn well win Best Dressed and Most Congenial!

When I watch her on the court, my UConn engineering kicks in. Say 145# (total guess) on a high heel .25"x.25" or .0625 square inches equals 145/.0625= 2,320 psi just standing there on one foot. When she stomps I'd guess it creates a load approximately 2x or 4,640 psi (around 2 tons+ per square inch). I'm not sure what a court is made of, other than hardwood, but the compression strength of Oak (the highest) is around 2,800 psi. Anyway, I'm sure there is more involved here, but I'm always surprised she doesn't get her high heels stuck in the court flooring. The bench area flooring around her area must be covered with dimples/dents, unless it's reinforced with Kevlar.
Imagine if she got stuck in the court, best dressed/best poised would not fly with the voters. :oops:

Reaction Score
With a Boneyard handle like NickyNewark, and nominating CVS, who could have guessed ?
Wonk, as a lover of WBB and proud Jersey boy I tell it like it is as Howard Cosell used to say and as much as I love RU it is what it is and I expect no less from you guys!! I love the BY though and after RU I'm B1G on UConn.

Reaction Score
Mike Carey at wvu might not be a bad runner up or even winner!!!! 10th in the nation 25-3 14-2
That would be my "dark horse". He's done an amazing job, in a new and tough conference. One more team showing off how good the old BEast was.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Or it could just mean that the other teams in the SEC are overrated.
I do think the SEC is down a smidgen this year, but a lot of that is because Tennessee and Georgia are down. Luckily, my Gamecocks have replaced Tennessee at the top this season, so I'm content. :)

Reaction Score
Agreed. My vote is for McGraw. Yeah, Geno has played with a short bench, but give me a break he still starts a team with 3 All Americans and a 4th that might be the best point guard in the country.
All true, but he still needs them playing the RIGHT way for all those minutes. That they do is the testament to him. I doubt anyone else would get that commitment.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Another name to consider - Scott Rueck of Oregon State.

Remember the mess that LaVonda Wagner left at Oregon State a few years ago? In his fourth year, Rueck has his Beavers squad at 21-9 and in third place in the PAC 12 (at 13-5). The RPI ratings are 33, 27, and 24.

While Rueck may not stand out due to his program being in Corvallis and on the West Coast, he has done a tremendous job in rebuilding the program. The last time Oregon State won 21 games? 1994-1995. The last time Oregon State finished in the top three in the PAC 10/PAC 12 Conference? 1995-1996.

He would not be my pick for COY, but he would definitely be on my list of candidates I would consider. He would certainly garner an "Honorable Mention" nod from me, given how quickly has resurrected that program.

Reaction Score
Who do you think should be coach of the Year. Multiple answers are allowed as many of this board will automatically vote for Geno

Agree about Wes Moore, I probably should have included him over Jeff Walz.
Look at the facts. S. Carolina did not beat a top 10 team. Only played 4 ranked teams and they are just 1 - 3. Including SC, the SEC only has 4 top 25 teams, and the out of conference was simlpy terrible. Their record is deceiving. Don't get me wrong, she IS doing a nice job building her program, but what she did this year in NO WAY makes her coach of the year.
Muffet is UNDEFEATED, plays in the ACC, and is 9-0 against the TOP 25.
Geno is actually 9-0 against the top 25. If he beats LV, he will be 10-0 with 6 wins against top 10 teams.
Mulkey and Walz have also done much better jobs than Dawn based on schedule. Dawn should be last on the above list.

Reaction Score
Is this really a hard question to answer?

G
eno - UConn
McGraw - Notre Dame
Kim Mulkey - Baylor
Dawn Staley - South Carolina
Jeff Walz - Louisville
Another Coach Add Post with Coaches Name

Pre-season rankings for 2013-2014 season:

1. Connecticutt
5. Louisville
6. Notre Dame
10. Baylor

22. South Carolina

Where they are today:

1. Connecticutt
2. Notre Dame
3. Louisville
4. South Carolina
6. Baylor

In October, during the SEC's Media Days, the media voted based on paper - and not based on actual talent - what USC was bringing back for this season, and voted them to finish 7th - SEVENTH - in their conference. And while the media oftentimes displays a true ignorance in reviewing sports teams (and they certainly screwed the pooch here), it all shows how much BOTH Staley and USC were under-appreciated, as well as how improved as a program they were all in the same breadth.

The other candidates above have led their programs to perform as well as they were projected to, or worse. Staley wins it hands down, and especially if USC can carry through and win the SEC out-right (they have already earned no less than a share of the reg. season title, and win it out-right should they win 1 of their remaining 2 reg. season games...

Reaction Score
Agreed. My vote is for McGraw. Yeah, Geno has played with a short bench, but give me a break he still starts a team with 3 All Americans and a 4th that might be the best point guard in the country.
Isn't his ability to develop his PG into an All American, and improve players like Stokes part of the reason he should be considered for awards. He gets players to grow as players (who saw Dolson being the best center in WCBB coming out of high school) He has had to play many different lineups against top teams and still wins. He won't win the award, but what he does make him the best coach ever in WCBB.

Reaction Score
Look at the facts. S. Carolina did not beat a top 10 team. Only played 4 ranked teams and they are just 1 - 3. Including SC, the SEC only has 4 top 25 teams, and the out of conference was simlpy terrible. Their record is deceiving. Don't get me wrong, she IS doing a nice job building her program, but what she did this year in NO WAY makes her coach of the year.
Geno is actually 9-0 against the top 25. If he beats LV, he will be 10-0 with 6 wins against top 10 teams.
Mulkey and Walz have also done much better jobs than Dawn based on schedule. Dawn should be last on the above list.
After last weekends games I realize maybe as much as I respect Staley maybe their should only be 2 obvious answers but Wes Moore should at least be getting serious consideration votes. Muffet/Geno in no order then the field IMO. Thats why they vote after the season.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Regardless of who wins Coach of the Year honors, the Scholar Coach of the Year Award should go to Joanne P. McCallie – no coach has done more learning this year than she has.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Since WVU has moved from being unranked at the beginning of the season to #7 now and is probably the #2 seed that no #1 seed wants in their bracket, Carey may actually deserve more consideration than Staley.

And maybe just stop it about CViv. Coaches under consideration need to have their team a lot higher than #35 in Sagarin unless they just inherited a winless program, and they cannot afford to lose to the #318 team in the nation. That just does not look good on the resume.

Reaction Score
Since WVU has moved from being unranked at the beginning of the season to #7 now and is probably the #2 seed that no #1 seed wants in their bracket, Carey may actually deserve more consideration than Staley.

And maybe just stop it about CViv. Coaches under consideration need to have their team a lot higher than #35 in Sagarin unless they just inherited a winless program, and they cannot afford to lose to the #318 team in the nation. That just does not look good on the resume.
After Saturday I dont think we have to see anymore CVS consideration this yr Dobbsy. I was very disappointed in the performance.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
After Saturday I dont think we have to see anymore CVS consideration this yr Dobbsy. I was very disappointed in the performance.
That's not the game CViv's regular season is wrapped around. That one comes tonight, and a win versus USF is not necessarily a must but is pretty urgent.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Ranked teams when we played them: UNC, A&M, Kentucky (twice), Vandy (twice), LSU and Tennessee. I count 8 games against ranked teams, with a 5-3 record.

Reaction Score
After thinking about this, I've decided that Geno should get it. I know Dawn has shown amazingly unforeseen positive direction, but if she gets it, then MoJett should get the all american nod too. Geno is simply without peer. None come even close to him in the game today.

Reaction Score
That's not the game CViv's regular season is wrapped around. That one comes tonight, and a win versus USF is not necessarily a must but is pretty urgent.
Wow what a disappointment last nights game with USF a team we beat on the road by 12 earlier.....the team couldn't make up the slack for Copper's turftoe shortcomings. Typical CVS type rollercoaster season's recently !! I'll bet RU has more HS AA's on this team than USF has in its history....no more excuse's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom