Poll - Who Should be Coach of the Year

Who Should be Coach of the year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who do you think should be coach of the Year. Multiple answers are allowed as many of this board will automatically vote for Geno

Agree about Wes Moore, I probably should have included him over Jeff Walz.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Very, very good question................Strong arguments can be made for Geno ( short handed all season with 2 walk-on's) ; Muffet running the table and winning regular season conference title in first year of ACC; Dawn Staley coming out of no where to win SEC . There are many good candidates. I voted for Geno because I have watched UConn the most , seen the injuries , watched as he has coached a short bench , and still has gone undefeated.

No matter who wins it , it won't be a runaway with so many worthy coaches this year.

Reaction Score
I know my choice may not be popular here but who thought a HOF coach like CVS would/could change her philosophy about overly depending on D and finally allow her girls to take the shot when they had an opening w/o repercussions as long as its in the flow of the game? I hate to admit it but I started to wonder if the game had passed her by until this year after recent disappointing season's with top notch talent constantly "underachieving" on the offensive side of the ball. Its nice to finally see some offensive scoring not coming on turnovers or 13 passes before settling for a bad shot before the clock runs out. She's got to at least be in the "receiving votes" category? McGraw/Geno should be right there but Staley might be the leader IMO and I'm just no fan of Mulkey as a HC though I thought she was cute when she was a player LOL.

Reaction Score
The only debate should be Muffet or Dawn.
Agreed. My vote is for McGraw. Yeah, Geno has played with a short bench, but give me a break he still starts a team with 3 All Americans and a 4th that might be the best point guard in the country.

Reaction Score
Agreed. My vote is for McGraw. Yeah, Geno has played with a short bench, but give me a break he still starts a team with 3 All Americans and a 4th that might be the best point guard in the country.
I agree under the circumstances McGraw is working with much less IMO than Geno but Staley has to be right there.

Reaction Score
Very, very good question......Strong arguments can be made for Geno ( short handed all season with 2 walk-on's) ; Muffet running the table and winning regular season conference title in first year of ACC; Dawn Staley coming out of no where to win SEC . There are many good candidates. I voted for Geno because I have watched UConn the most , seen the injuries , watched as he has coached a short bench , and still has gone undefeated.

No matter who wins it , it won't be a runaway with so many worthy coaches this year.
Yes their are a quite a few worthy candidates this yr but Muffet or Staley seems to have the momentum with Geno right behind but no doubt Geno is peerless as a WBB HC IMO and I'm an RUWBB fan.

Reaction Score
Walz though is not getting enough credit for what he's done at L'ville recently and I needed to mention that.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The only debate should be Muffet or Dawn.

vowelguy, with all due respect, I believe Wes Moore at NC State should, at the very least, be part of the conversation.

In his first year at the helm of the program, his Wolfpack squad is 23-5 (10-4 in the ACC), after NC State went 17-17 (7-11 in the ACC), 19-16 (5-11 inthe ACC), and 14-17 (4-10 in the ACC) in the last three years of Kelly Jolly Harper's tenure. He did not inherit McDonald's All-American players; rather, he has maximized the talent he has available to him on the roster. His team is 3rd in the ACC, with an RPI of 19 by two ranking services, and is 20th in the Sagarin rankings.

Last edited:

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
Thanks for others for making the case for Coach Moore.

What I imagine will happen though: Dawn Staley will win national Coach of the Year, and McGraw will win ACC Coach of the Year if ND goes undefeated. If NC State somehow manages to pull the huge upset Sunday, the ACC Coach of the Year award should and will go to Coach Moore. And if he were to win the ACC Coach of the Year award, it will be the first time any WBB coach at State has won it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know my choice may not be popular here but who thought a HOF coach like CVS would/could change her philosophy about overly depending on D and finally allow her girls to take the shot when they had an opening w/o repercussions as long as its in the flow of the game? I hate to admit it but I started to wonder if the game had passed her by until this year after recent disappointing season's with top notch talent constantly "underachieving" on the offensive side of the ball. Its nice to finally see some offensive scoring not coming on turnovers or 13 passes before settling for a bad shot before the clock runs out. She's got to at least be in the "receiving votes" category? McGraw/Geno should be right there but Staley might be the leader IMO and I'm just no fan of Mulkey as a HC though I thought she was cute when she was a player LOL.
I think results on the court must trump a change in philosophy.

Reaction Score
I think results on the court must trump a change in philosophy.
Her results on the court are my reason though I realize she don't have that "signature" win yet this year shes gone from a "not gonna be back/renewed coach" to a I figure a 25 win if the season shakes out like I expect. With so young a lineup I thought she was finished before the season started to excited for the future again. Everybody votes their own idea of who deserves it and like I mentioned she should be in the "receiving votes" category,otherwise why not just give it to the HC of the national champ? Geno's made expectations so high at UConn and the wins seem to come so easy many miss the beauty of it outside huskynation.Results or scores don't always tell the whole story like when the NY FB Giants won the SB after a 9-7 regular season!!

Reaction Score
vowelguy, with all due respect, I believe Wes Moore at NC State should, at the very least, be part of the conversation.

No question that Moore has done a great job. But it seems national coach of the year only goes to a top ~10 team. That's what I was thinking of.
For ACC coach of the year, I'd say it's a tight race between Moore and Muffet.

Reaction Score
No question that Moore has done a great job. But it seems national coach of the year only goes to a top ~10 team. That's what I was thinking of.
For ACC coach of the year, I'd say it's a tight race between Moore and Muffet.
That'll cause them to split the votes that will probably favor the Tobacco Rd school at NC St? But I'm not familiar with ACC politics so I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Good chance Muffett will win national Coach of the Year but not ACC. Different voting block.
Don't the coaches pick their league awards? National writers will pick between Muffett & Staley.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Who should be Coach of the Last 30 Years? The answer is obvious.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

today we learn the difference between "drinking" the kool-aid, and "filling the bathtub" with the kool-aid...

Reaction Score

Well ND has McBride (All American), Achonwa (All American), Lloyd (All American this year), Allen (arguably best freshman pg and future All American), and has not had any major injuries.

Reaction Score
I can't tell you their names, but there are 5 or 6 writing on the BoneYard who are certainly better than Geno.

Good point, I agree. UConn and ND coaches just simply do not have the dynamic fresh impact of the USC coach. Coupled with her U18 coach selection puts the highlite on her. I think the award should go to the NC champ team coach, but our country just puts too much emphasis on the "darling" factor.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Jeff, Geno & Muffet held up their respective reputations very well, but coach of the year would seem to imply a gain, a new standing out, a surprise season. If the season ended right now, I go with Dawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom