Poll: Which Team would have Best Chance to Beat UConn

Which Team has Best Chance to Beat UConn this Year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Most of us think that UConn will go undefeated and win the National Championship this year. The Big Three of Moriah, Morgan and Stewie won't allow it to happen. However, if the unthinkable were to happen, which team has the best chance? Not having an option of none of the above:):)

Reaction Score
ND. And then Stanford. Until some other team (/coach) proves they can.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Baylor's the only team not scared of us, yet.

Regarding the use of the word, "scared."

The teams listed in the poll above are comprised of highly competitive athletes who want to win. Are they "wary" of the challenges that UConn brings to the court? Yes. Are they "concerned" about what could happen if Stewie does this and if Morgan Tuck does that? Of course.

But I can guarantee you that Notre Dame is not going to play scared against UConn (or anyone else for that matter) if they have the opportunity to play the Huskies again. They'll address the vast expertise and challenges that Geno, his excellent coaching staff and exceptional players bring to the court. And they'll try to execute -- in a level-headed manner -- the plan that the Irish coaches have devised and play like hell to beat the Huskies. The only time "scared" will factor into the mix is if they don't try their best in those efforts. Nervous, sure...who wouldn't be? (In fact, the Huskies will be, as well, as they play for history.) But I think players like Maddie Cable and Arike Ogunbowale strive for these challenges, rather than shirk away from them.

At this time, ND is not playing at the level of UConn (who is, right now?) and have a number of challenges left in the regular season (Miami, at FSU) and ACC playoffs before turning their attention to the NCAAs. Muffet will keep them from looking too far ahead. From there, let's see what happens...

Reaction Score
Regarding the choices that you've offered us, are you speaking exclusively of each program's women's squad?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ND has a good coach and tough mindset, though they don't have many players left over from when they last beat us. Maybe this year's seniors were role players in 2013.

I'm sure OSU would give us a better game than they did in November, but we have Morqueda to lock down Mitchell.

Maryland would likely not fare as well a second time.

Baylor would be competitive, but lose.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I picked Maryland. Maryland would rather play UConn than Ohio State. Going up and down the court like that is too much for Jones, Howard and Pfirman. (even if Jones scored 28 points on them)

I picked Maryland as well. Those guards man.. You gotta be able to run and score with UCONN and I think Maryland can.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I still think people are sleeping on Florida State matching up the best against UCONN. Bulgat is a versatile athletic big who plays all over the floor, Romero is very good at controlling tempo and getting mostly good things out the half court set and Thomas is their version of our Gabby. The rest of the team has well defined roles and they are well coached. Sue Semrau was COY last year. In the game played earlier this year UCONN dominated but FSU stayed attached for 3/4 of the game. All FSU losses this year have been on the road to quality teams ( UCONN, Arizona state, & Louisville) with the only head scratcher being a loss at Florida to open the season.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
For some reason, Florida is a really good scoring team this year. They're averaging over 80 ppg this season. Somewhere around 85ppg I believe..

That's probably how they beat FSU.

Reaction Score
Regarding the use of the word, "scared."

The teams listed in the poll above are comprised of highly competitive athletes who want to win. Are they "wary" of the challenges that UConn brings to the court? Yes. Are they "concerned" about what could happen if Stewie does this and if Morgan Tuck does that? Of course.

But I can guarantee you that Notre Dame is not going to play scared against UConn (or anyone else for that matter) if they have the opportunity to play the Huskies again. They'll address the vast expertise and challenges that Geno, his excellent coaching staff and exceptional players bring to the court. And they'll try to execute -- in a level-headed manner -- the plan that the Irish coaches have devised and play like hell to beat the Huskies. The only time "scared" will factor into the mix is if they don't try their best in those efforts. Nervous, sure...who wouldn't be? (In fact, the Huskies will be, as well, as they play for history.) But I think players like Maddie Cable and Arike Ogunbowale strive for these challenges, rather than shirk away from them.

At this time, ND is not playing at the level of UConn (who is, right now?) and have a number of challenges left in the regular season (Miami, at FSU) and ACC playoffs before turning their attention to the NCAAs. Muffet will keep them from looking too far ahead. From there, let's see what happens...

I don't know what the scared factor is exactly. Some teams do give up; their body language reveals this. But ND never gives up, which is a distinguishing characteristic of the team. Additionally, they have one of the three best coaches in WCBB (Kim is the other). And they have a nice assortment of players with talent. They are one of two teams on the list here who can compete with UConn—to an extent (Maryland is the other). South Carolina, sad to say, cannot compete with the Huskies because unlike the puncher's chance, they have few if any punchers. (Even though the Terps lost twice to a team that the Huskies rendered into dust, I would rank them ahead of SC.)

The differences between UConn and the rest are substantial: best coach, players, offense, defense. And Danny Uconn—displaying the most balls of anyone around. The Huskies CANNOT lose.

Reaction Score
USF,just ask Ms.Antonelli whose allegiances are in the sec,so she must be right.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I still think people are sleeping on Florida State matching up the best against UCONN. Bulgat is a versatile athletic big who plays all over the floor, Romero is very good at controlling tempo and getting mostly good things out the half court set and Thomas is their version of our Gabby. The rest of the team has well defined roles and they are well coached. Sue Semrau was COY last year. In the game played earlier this year UCONN dominated but FSU stayed attached for 3/4 of the game. All FSU losses this year have been on the road to quality teams ( UCONN, Arizona state, & Louisville) with the only head scratcher being a loss at Florida to open the season.

Notre Dame played FSU twice last year and the first in South Bend was very close, while the ACC Championship game found a bit more breathing room. Romero always plays well against the Irish. The regular season game is at FSU a week from Monday. Should be an interesting one....

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I only think it could be Notre Dame, and only if UConn was short one or more significant player(s), but I had to vote for Oregon State. Go West Coast!!

Reaction Score
Notre Dame concerns me the most because of their grit. They still have a swagger to them and an "institutional memory" of beating UCONN in the waning days of the Big East. Can they beat UCONN? Yes. Is it likely? No. I wouldn't write of Ohio State. They are not the same team they were in December. What I don't know about them is if they can come back if they get behind. From what is saw in both games against Maryland, the Terps fell behind early and couldn't catch up. In Ohio State's losses, they got down early and couldn't get over the hump to get the lead back.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I voted ND and was surprised at the strong vote for them. It's a bridge too far though absent a melt down by UConn and UConn does not melt down. Also, seems like Turner shoulder still suspect and she is not herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom