Poll: Which Team would have Best Chance to Beat UConn

Which Team has Best Chance to Beat UConn this Year

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
23 looks great! Outstanding picture of her. Who is 32?
I believe that is Rebekkah Brunson, played for Georgetown collegiately. An 11 year veteran of the league.

Reaction Score
ND Bigs aren't good enough to beat UCONN! They only have Turner, (& her shoulder,) and she can't defend Stewie, Tuck, Collier, Gabby, KLS, & Butler. The way to beat ND is with talented Bigs, not guards! Though MoJeff, Nurse, Chong, would help, it'll be a wash with ND guards.
Baylor has a nice blend of Bigs and guards! + they won't meet till FF!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Baylor's the only team not scared of us, yet.

Baylor may not be scared, but you can bet they're extremely concerned. How optimistic they are of being able to beat us is anyone's guess. IMHO, I don't think anyone can beat UConn at this point.

We've already beaten ND and SC. Baylor is the only other top 4 team we haven't played. We've already played and defeated Notre Dame and South Carolina. We' know what they've got. Baylor is the lone mystery now. They lost to Okla. St, and barely beat USF by 3 earlier in the season.

There's no guarantee that Baylor will cross the Huskie's path. If they're not on UConn's side of the bracket, Baylor will have to defeat the other regional champion on their side of the bracket BEFORE they can meet UConn in the championship game.

I honestly don't think Baylor can run with UConn for 40 minutes. They've got 2 bigs (Mompremier & Brown) that they count on, but so did South Carolina. Neither one of their bigs are fast. They don't have anyone that can consistently knock down shots behind the arc, to pull the defense out. You know what that means.

At the beginning of the season, I was hoping UConn could win another NC this year. With 5 games left in the regular season, and our last big test behind us; my skepticism has all but disappeared. Barring injury, I don't see any other team beating UConn this year. I'll run all the way to bank with that bet.

Geno stated the following in his SC post game interview with Maria Taylor: " We know we won't see another team this good on their home court in the tournament". I believe the tea leaves have settled, and they're not hard to read.

My skepticism has turned to unbridled optimism. I think UConn slayed their last potential dragon last night.
I now expect UConn to win their 11th National Championship. UConn will not encounter a team in the first 4 games of the tournament that has a prayer of beating them. As usual, their last two games will be the most difficult.

It's going to take a #1 seeded team playing the best A game they've ever played, and UConn having an off night for them to lose. I don't see that happening. Geno's teams don't have "off nights" in championship games.........ever!
UConn is in a very good place right now. ;)

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
For some reason, Florida is a really good scoring team this year. They're averaging over 80 ppg this season. Somewhere around 85ppg I believe..

That's probably how they beat FSU.
Florida has been the most pleasant surprise in the SEC. The victory seemed like a fluke at the time, but since then the results look reasonable. If Florida State played at Florida tomorrow, Sagarin predicts a 4 point victory for the Seminoles, so that's not much separation.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Regarding the use of the word, "scared."

The teams listed in the poll above are comprised of highly competitive athletes who want to win. Are they "wary" of the challenges that UConn brings to the court? Yes. Are they "concerned" about what could happen if Stewie does this and if Morgan Tuck does that? Of course.

But I can guarantee you that Notre Dame is not going to play scared against UConn (or anyone else for that matter) if they have the opportunity to play the Huskies again. They'll address the vast expertise and challenges that Geno, his excellent coaching staff and exceptional players bring to the court. And they'll try to execute -- in a level-headed manner -- the plan that the Irish coaches have devised and play like hell to beat the Huskies. The only time "scared" will factor into the mix is if they don't try their best in those efforts. Nervous, sure...who wouldn't be? (In fact, the Huskies will be, as well, as they play for history.) But I think players like Maddie Cable and Arike Ogunbowale strive for these challenges, rather than shirk away from them.

At this time, ND is not playing at the level of UConn (who is, right now?) and have a number of challenges left in the regular season (Miami, at FSU) and ACC playoffs before turning their attention to the NCAAs. Muffet will keep them from looking too far ahead. From there, let's see what happens...
Because of this particular comment, I rewatched the ND-UConn game and outside of Marina Mabrey shooting the lights out in the first half, what makes you believe ND has even a remote chance at beating UConn? Their best player by far is Lindsey Allen and she isn't a prolific enough scorer to be of any great concern. Brianna Turner is a great athlete, but her points come from lobs and layups, I haven't seen her post anyone hard and score off of a drop-step or up-and-under move all year. Cable is a hard-worker, Michaela Mabry is strictly a jump shooter and can be easily contained, Westbeld is average at best, Hannah Huffman is a brute with no discernible offensive skills, they have no back-up for Allen and when she goes out they struggle to score. If Hines-Allen doesn't foul out against L'ville and the Cardinals were a good free-throw shooting team, ND loses that game on Sunday. They played their best game of the year against UConn at home and at no time did anyone feel that the Huskies were going to lose that game. UConn has gotten better, has ND?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Notre Dame concerns me the most because of their grit. They still have a swagger to them and an "institutional memory" of beating UCONN in the waning days of the Big East. Can they beat UCONN? Yes. Is it likely? No. I wouldn't write of Ohio State. They are not the same team they were in December. What I don't know about them is if they can come back if they get behind. From what is saw in both games against Maryland, the Terps fell behind early and couldn't catch up. In Ohio State's losses, they got down early and couldn't get over the hump to get the lead back.
tOSU doesn't play defense well enough to even mount a credible challenge to UConn. They remind me of the Loyola Marymount teams of Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble, they just want to run up and down the floor. Their shot selection is questionable at best, they don't play hard every possession, they don't value the basketball, and if you jump on them early you can make them quit. KMitchell and Alston are deluxe scorers, but neither is a willing defender. Hart plays bigger than her size but she's no match for the UConn Bigs, unless Craft is hitting the 3 she's a complete non-factor and for all of her alleged defensive prowess she can't guard anyone on the Huskies, Shayla Cooper is a head case that is easily frustratable and foul prone, Waterman is a freshman and plays hard, she boards some and is a willing defender but shows no proclivity for offense at all, Asia Doss is KMitch-lite and shows absolutely no interest interest in playing defense outside of jumping into the passing lane for the occasional steal and breakaway layup. They are not a FF team, they'll have head-scratchers in both the B1G Tourney and the NCAA Tourney. I'll be surprised if they make the Sweet Sixteen.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I'm rather shocked more folks did not vote for Maryland when I see the current results. This year, ND can play very, very, very well against us, yet I feel coach has his team well equiped to play the style that ND curently has. However, I really think Maryland had the best of us for a second there. I was one of the lucky ones who sat front rows with Boneyarders at the Garden and saw up close some frustrations that give me a tiny (practically miniscule) scare come april. UCONN has this hands down so polls like this are rather fun to debate =D

Also, to the digest of many boneyarders I'm sure, I actually really, really like Brenda F more than most current coaches in WCBB and I think she is a super smart coach who always finds a back door appoach when playing big games. Plus I guess I'm also a little jealous that she probabky looks better in a suit than I do...

Reaction Score
I'm rather shocked more folks did not vote for Maryland when I see the current results. This year, ND can play very, very, very well against us, yet I feel coach has his team well equiped to play the style that ND curently has. However, I really think Maryland had the best of us for a second there. I was one of the lucky ones who sat front rows with Boneyarders at the Garden and saw up close some frustrations that give me a tiny (practically miniscule) scare come april. UCONN has this hands down so polls like this are rather fun to debate =D

Also, to the digest of many boneyarders I'm sure, I actually really, really like Brenda F more than most current coaches in WCBB and I think she is a super smart coach who always finds a back door appoach when playing big games. Plus I guess I'm also a little jealous that she probabky looks better in a suit than I do...
I thought MD also since they gave UCONN the toughest game so far this year, but loosing twice to Ohio State may indicate they have not progressed much this season. I really do not see any team that is a legitimate threat.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I picked Maryland. Maryland would rather play UConn than Ohio State. Going up and down the court like that is too much for Jones, Howard and Pfirman. (even if Jones scored 28 points on them)
Don't you think that the UConn coaches noticed that? UConn certainly can play fast if that is what will work in a particular game. A lineup of Moriah, Kia, Gabby, Napheesa, and Stewie could certainly crank up the pace and have those MD players running like turtles by the 2nd quarter, if that became the UConn game plan.

I noticed in the MSG game that Jones couldn't play as many minutes as Brenda might have liked because (seemingly) of fitness issues. Just like Coates in the South Carolina game.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Baylor's the only team not scared of us, yet.
My problem with Baylor is that they essentially play the same game as USC. Dribble drive, create lanes for your bigs, poor outside shooters, questionable conditioning. By the end of the 3rd quarter Baylor's tongues would be hanging out, Davis would have 6 points, and they'd have no solution for Mo and Stewie. No, only ND has a real shot with Maryland third.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I voted for Baylor mainly on the thought, as others have expressed, that this is the one team we haven't played for a few years so there is some unknowns.

However, of the teams listed, I am not that confident that they we will meet them in Indy - I think there is a good chance they'll get knocked off before them. Partly a hunch, partly because in a tight game I'm not certain Kim, even though I put her in the upper tier of women's coaches, is as good as MM or DS.

I think the most likely teams for us to face are ND and USC, and of these two, I think ND would prove the stiffer challenge.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone can beat us. That said ,we never get to see many of the teams until the tournament.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brunson was pretty good in her college days too. She was the BE FOY over some ball hog chick from Chino Hills, Calif. ;)

Reaction Score
What if Louisville arrives a year early? Louisville's may be close to belonging on that list. :)

Reaction Score
Given the fact that any chance of us playing your guys will come in Indianapolis (if chalk holds), and given the fact that in Indianapolis your Stewie will be playing for the 4-peat, I don't see anyone taking those 2 games away from Stewart and company. The two games in Indianapolis may just be the greatest two individual performances in women's ncaa history. If Geno turns her loose, and if her teammates buy in (and why wouldn't they), we could be in for something we've never seen before--not even those of you who have watched every game for 4 years.

That said, the only scenario for any of the teams mentioned has already been noted numerous times: If Team _____ has a career night, and if UCONN has an uncharacteristically OFF night, THEN . . . . But still if those two happen, that only evens the court; it does not put UCONN at any significant disadvantage.

But if your Stewie is healthy, there will be no OFF nights in Indianapolis--only historic nights. And us, Notre Dame, et al, could potentially put a really GOOD team and GOOD effort on the floor in Indy, but still be looking up from the underside of greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom