Poll Question - Husky Logo at the Rent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll Question - Husky Logo at the Rent

When will the large Husky logo be changed on the outside of the Rent?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In fact, that isn't the case. The older Huskies weren't ubiquitous like the 1990-2013 variations were. In part it was simply that team logos weren't used that much before the 90s and in part it is a function of UConn's period of greatest success at high levels. If you were around and watching the games during the Dream Season, the Huskies were referred to by the NCAA Tourney play by play guys (I think Nance was one) as "The UCONNS" because nobody at CBS was exactly sure of their mascot in the early games.

As far as Nike goes, they have a corporate image that they play to. And that's part of the problem. The pretty much took a generic Husky/Wolf piece of clipart, outlined it in red and slapped a blue toupee an top, and bingo...Donald the Toupee Dog was born. Cheap, easy to reproduce, short shelf life. They'll probably use it as the basis for the next update of Washington or Southern Maine or New Mexico, so it was worth the (minimal) investment of time. Change the color, throw in a couple of teeth and you've got a lobo.
Team logos really werent used that much before the 90s? I guess that is sort of true. What is Notre Dames? How about UCLA? You are correct in todays internet icon happy world a good mascot or symbol is important . That is why this new husky dog is going to help us. If there is a way to poll random people who know nothing about UCONN to chose the image they would prefer I would bet it would overwhelmingly be the New logo. Just Saying.

Reaction Score
No, no...they weren't used much before the 1990s. In fact I would bet that most people, even UConn fans in the 1960s were even aware of the Husky shown on the list. I followed UConn pretty closely in the 1970s and I only saw the husky with the gun once, on a letter I got from one of the coaches. It wasn't plastered on the stadium or in the fieldhouse or even on t-shirts. Most of those said UConn, Connecticut or had the University seal. So when they made changes, it didn't make much difference.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Hardcore fans start out as casual fans. If you cater to the hardcores you will be selling to a fanbase of 10,000 fans which is not enough. If you focus on attracting newbies then you have a bigger base to build on. This is about the next 5-10 years, not 2014. Sorry Dan, UConn does not care about your opinion. They care about the SUV with the "My Daughter Goes to UConn" sticker, the mom and the little brother in that car, who may or may not know what a zone blitz or a backcourt violation is, and who don't care about the difference between a Samoyed and a Husky are. That's who the new logo and "UConn" (not connecticut) was designed for. I bet they market tested it for those demographics. Yeah it would have been nice if they kept an all white dog, that is an established tradition. They had to have consciously made the decision to make that change and had market research to back that up, you don't make a change like that on a whim. They weighed the backlash from the alumni and fans versus attracting new fans and guess who won. As an alum I was initally angry about the non-all-white logo... Though I would probably have been angrier if they went with a generic dog paw print!

My whole stick is that we need to build the fan base by getting grads back to uconn post school and casual/local fans to pay attention. We do neither. The just graduated section at the rent may be the funniest thing of all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody at CBS was aware of the Huskies nickname a few days after they televised the Big East final that UConn won. Interesting.

Reaction Score
My whole stick is that we need to build the fan base by getting grads back to uconn post school and casual/local fans to pay attention. We do neither. The just graduated section at the rent may be the funniest thing of all.
That doesn't take marketing gimmicks. It takes a competitive and exciting team.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
That doesn't take marketing gimmicks. It takes a competitive and exciting team.
Oh ok good. Now that I know this what should I do? Maybe we should have fired the staff on December 1st and hired the dazzler!??!!?!? But we didn't do that. Hey keep supporting warde. You seem like u have the answer. A good team. No way! How do u get a good team? A good coach? Man were killing it aren't we?

Reaction Score
Oh ok good. Now that I know this what should I do? Maybe we should have fired the staff on December 1st and hired the dazzler!??!!?!? But we didn't do that. Hey keep supporting warde. You seem like u have the answer. A good team. No way! How do u get a good team? A good coach? Man were killing it aren't we?
When am I supporting warde? Stop putting words in my mouth. The funny thing is you're sarcastic about me saying we need a good team because its obviously not that easy, but your solution is that somehow a course tv spots in ffld county will make us be able to fill every game and sell out MSG (seriously?) for some gimmick event. Do you really think running an athletic department is as easy as you make it out to be?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Do you really think running an athletic department is as easy as you make it out to be?
Yes, yes he does. If Dan were running the show he'd have us in the NFC east AND the English Premiere League already. Whereas Warde only got us in Hockey East and the bball practice facility.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
When am I supporting warde? Stop putting words in my mouth. The funny thing is you're sarcastic about me saying we need a good team because its obviously not that easy, but your solution is that somehow a course tv spots in ffld county will make us be able to fill every game and sell out MSG (seriously?) for some gimmick event. Do you really think running an athletic department is as easy as you make it out to be?
I would have fired p and gdl and hired the dazzler or another coach. I would have spent the bar for leach 2 years ago. That wins games. Warde takes the Susan line of we win win win, but as far as I can see he's the one in a position of power to make change so we can win and he's not doing it.

Being ad can't be easy. There is a reason the pay is so good. We pay warde 400k and so far what have we got? HE was already in motion before him. He strung along our bball coaches and sealed them before damage got real bad. He didn't change football and instead just had gdl switch positions which any google search can tell you about Cuse ten years ago. Paul pend was the one who got the of moving it seems from knowledgable posters here. Warde I think pushed the #bleedblue. It's a step in the right direction but its a multi use tag not unique enough for one and also he then put red on our logos which is bs. He scheduled the 2 easiest non BCS games possible in BYU and bsu. Wether ppl here want to admit it or not he has yet to schedule one not one BCS game. Thick skulls here are killing this school. It takes a uprising to correct thing and ppl here want to take the fishy route and just hope the world blows up instead of fight. I want to fight. But I have no power because I'm not a grad or a important ticket. All I can do is hurt them in the wallet. So I'm doing my part.

400k tell me why?

Reaction Score
400k tell me why?

Because he has a MSW from Michigan, a MBA from Ross School of Business @ Michigan, previous AD experience at a D1 school and that's what the market pays?

Tom Jurich, Louisville: $1,401,915
Chet Gladchuk, Navy: $638,000*
Steve Pederson, Pittsburgh: $596,595
Daryl Gross, Syracuse: $575,000
Mack Rhoades, Houston: $537,600
Doug Woolard, South Florida: $479,657
Julie Hermann, Rutgers: $450,000
Warde Manuel, Connecticut: $450,000
Tom Bowen, Memphis: $400,000
Jeff Compher, ECU: $415,000*
Todd Stansbury, UCF: $375,000
Whit Babcock, Cincinnati: $364,000

Rick Hart, SMU: NA
Bill Bradshaw, Temple: NA

Edit - added ECU and Navy

Reaction Score
I would have fired p and gdl and hired the dazzler or another coach. I would have spent the bar for leach 2 years ago. That wins games. Warde takes the Susan line of we win win win, but as far as I can see he's the one in a position of power to make change so we can win and he's not doing it.

Being ad can't be easy. There is a reason the pay is so good. We pay warde 400k and so far what have we got? HE was already in motion before him. He strung along our bball coaches and sealed them before damage got real bad. He didn't change football and instead just had gdl switch positions which any google search can tell you about Cuse ten years ago. Paul pend was the one who got the of moving it seems from knowledgable posters here. Warde I think pushed the #bleedblue. It's a step in the right direction but its a multi use tag not unique enough for one and also he then put red on our logos which is bs. He scheduled the 2 easiest non BCS games possible in BYU and bsu. Wether ppl here want to admit it or not he has yet to schedule one not one BCS game. Thick skulls here are killing this school. It takes a uprising to correct thing and ppl here want to take the fishy route and just hope the world blows up instead of fight. I want to fight. But I have no power because I'm not a grad or a important ticket. All I can do is hurt them in the wallet. So I'm doing my part.

400k tell me why?

Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Do you mean "schtick?" Because some of this is comical. Gold, Jerry. Gold, I tell ya!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living?
I drink and complain about warde. I manage a 3 dollar budget daily that allows me a double cheeseburger and 2 40s daily. Then I go to the library to come here and talk poop to the boneyard.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Because he has a MSW from Michigan, a MBA from Ross School of Business @ Michigan, previous AD experience at a D1 school and that's what the market pays?

Tom Jurich, Louisville: $1,401,915
Steve Pederson, Pittsburgh: $596,595
Daryl Gross, Syracuse: $575,000
Mack Rhoades, Houston: $537,600
Doug Woolard, South Florida: $479,657
Julie Hermann, Rutgers: $450,000
Warde Manuel, Connecticut: $450,000
Tom Bowen, Memphis: $400,000
Todd Stansbury, UCF: $375,000
Whit Babcock, Cincinnati: $364,000
Rick Hart, SMU: NA
Bill Bradshaw, Temple: NA
So it's the AAC for life then, we pay our ad like those schools do. Really shooting for the moon I see. Glad we're trying to blend in with AAC teams. It makes way more sense then hiring a actual BCS ad....I see people now heading to bobs to re up on there Eli manning shirts. Going to be a great fall.

Reaction Score
I drink and complain about warde. I manage a 3 dollar budget daily that allows me a double cheeseburger and 2 40s daily. Then I go to the library to come here and talk poop to the boneyard.
Curious. What are the 40s?

Reaction Score
So it's the AAC for life then, we pay our ad like those schools do. Really shooting for the moon I see. Glad we're trying to blend in with AAC teams. It makes way more sense then hiring a actual BCS ad....I see people now heading to bobs to re up on there Eli manning shirts. Going to be a great fall.

Nice try, really. You were complaining how much he makes - don't flip the argument or try to morph it into another issue.

Reaction Score

2 40s and a double cheeseburger for $3 a day?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
2 40s and a double cheeseburger for $3 a day?
You have to factor in all the cans I return daily also. Truly it's like 5 bucks a day all together. Should I have typed this in ole English?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Nice try, really. You were complaining how much he makes - don't flip the argument or try to morph it into another issue.

2 different topics. I'm saying he's not worth 400k for what he's doing. I'm also saying we should spend 750k on a real ad to take us to the promise land.

Reaction Score
You have to factor in all the cans I return daily also. Truly it's like 5 bucks a day all together. Should I have typed this in ole English?

Honestly, you might as well be typing in chinese half the time.

Reaction Score
2 different topics. I'm saying he's not worth 400k for what he's doing. I'm also saying we should spend 750k on a real ad to take us to the promise land.
What is your short list of ad s worthy ? How would you entice them to come and how much do you intend to pony uo

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
What is your short list of ad s worthy ? How would you entice them to come and how much do you intend to pony uo

Dr Chris hill-750k offer and a 250k bonus to b10 or acc by 2015. He currently makes 500k at Utah and has been there for over a decade. From urban myer to the PAC move he is the guy who drives the bus.

I would make the same offer to Jim weaver of VIP.

I would also somewhat be interested in terry holland and Ross Bjork.

Reaction Score
Are you guys talking about the Oak Leaf with UCONN under it on the outside of the building? I was under the impression that that symbol was still acceptable for the school and figured it wouldnt change.

I would like to know what they are going to do at the 50 yard line as the Block C is no longer going to be used.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Are you guys talking about the Oak Leaf with UCONN under it on the outside of the building? I was under the impression that that symbol was still acceptable for the school and figured it wouldnt change.

I would like to know what they are going to do at the 50 yard line as the Block C is no longer going to be used.
"I graduated from the University of Connecticut, not the University of Oak,'' Anita Bologna, 1999

My guess is that the Husky head logo will go on the 50 yd Ln.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom