Poll Question - Husky Logo at the Rent | The Boneyard

Poll Question - Husky Logo at the Rent

When will the large Husky logo be changed on the outside of the Rent?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I drive past the Rent each day on my way to and from work. The old logo is still firmly in place.

Reaction Score
They are already redoing the court at Gampel so I would assume they will be getting to it soon. I voted by Aug.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I still think they should waste the $ to change all this stuff. The old one needed to be redone and what they gave us was a generic wolf. Neither is right. Less younger and more blue and less fur on the old one was the answer because it would still look close enough to where people would recognize it. They failed as usual. No surprise.

What's the sticking point on logos? It's that they all have 1 distinct feature. Most of those are something aggressive that sticks out. The Lville bird has a beak. The Florida gator teeth or the ark piggy tusk. And so on. Uconn skipped is simple but important thing because we have 2 leaders who suck. Plain and simple. No Dan the block c never caugh on your wrong. No your wrong. The block c never got a chance because we never claimed to be conn vs uconn and all that crap.

It's connecticut. That's our mother state name. I find it amazing that utex or uokla or uflo or ualab don't exist brand wise don't you? Uconn is a nice nickname that used to be a rally cry. Now it's the school name that confuses every little kid wtf this state vs school is. Congrats.

All of you 40 year olds here who think your cool because you like the logo need to stop. Your not fooling anyone. Just because a couple uconn players say they like it does not make it acceptable. They are kids who are worried about sports and the next level, they don't understand the brand power and vision of a logo. He new logo looks cool and they like cool. It's that simple but cool doesn't work when it's wrong.

Will some one please tell Alabama, tenn, Florida, Michigan, Maryland, Syracuse, wvu and so on that they are all idiots for having block letters be there primary logo. Please tell them that uconn says they are stupid. Tell them that real schools don't name brand themselves after city and states but after nicknames. And that block letters are dumb. Look how much money and who we play vs those schools!?!?z, clearly they are all in the wrong and not us.

Wake up ppl. The more you sit by and let this fly the worse its going to get.

The red outline? Are you kidding? The reason blue was special was Cuse is orange, bc is maroon, umass was red, temple was red and Rutgers was red. See that!?!?!? We were the anti venom color wise and it made sense. The red throws that in all of our faces. The only thing that should be red on the entire campus are a small bit of tounge on the logo I described, some random parked cars and some freshmen girls sheets. That's it. Not cups not thirst not notepads not nothing else. Meanwhile our 2 leaders are outlining very everything in red trying to fit it. noise.

If you wanted a splash logo wise and not what I put forth then it was a aggressive dog paw looking logo. Kill the dog face. That was the other way to go. We went neither way.

Lets talk helmets. Anything new uniforms wise ill take because what we had was that dry. The middle stripe is funky. I'm not sold but not crazy about it. The dog eyes are middle school ish. The worst part about these helmets is uconn across the back because the sides are empty. We're not a big enough school for casuals viewers to look and say uconn. It doesn't work for us. I was hoping for the longest time that we would get those navy helmets with the clock c on top with a white background and the bottom being blue. Fail.....

Hey you guys want to talk about a campus wide and fan/alum wide dog bone program? I would love to if your interested. No one at uconn could dream this up because they have no vision.

Reaction Score
I still think they should waste the $ to change all this stuff. The old one needed to be redone and what they gave us was a generic wolf. Neither is right. Less younger and more blue and less fur on the old one was the answer because it would still look close enough to where people would recognize it. They failed as usual. No surprise.

What's the sticking point on logos? It's that they all have 1 distinct feature. Most of those are something aggressive that sticks out. The Lville bird has a beak. The Florida gator teeth or the ark piggy tusk. And so on. Uconn skipped is simple but important thing because we have 2 leaders who suck. Plain and simple. No Dan the block c never caugh on your wrong. No your wrong. The block c never got a chance because we never claimed to be conn vs uconn and all that crap.

It's connecticut. That's our mother state name. I find it amazing that utex or uokla or uflo or ualab don't exist brand wise don't you? Uconn is a nice nickname that used to be a rally cry. Now it's the school name that confuses every little kid wtf this state vs school is. Congrats.

All of you 40 year olds here who think your cool because you like the logo need to stop. Your not fooling anyone. Just because a couple uconn players say they like it does not make it acceptable. They are kids who are worried about sports and the next level, they don't understand the brand power and vision of a logo. He new logo looks cool and they like cool. It's that simple but cool doesn't work when it's wrong.

Will some one please tell Alabama, tenn, Florida, Michigan, Maryland, Syracuse, wvu and so on that they are all idiots for having block letters be there primary logo. Please tell them that uconn says they are stupid. Tell them that real schools don't name brand themselves after city and states but after nicknames. And that block letters are dumb. Look how much money and who we play vs those schools!?!?z, clearly they are all in the wrong and not us.

The red outline? Are you kidding? The reason blue was special was Cuse is orange, bc is maroon, umass was red, temple was red and Rutgers was red. See that!?!?!? We were the anti venom color wise and it made sense. The red throws that in all of our faces. The only thing that should be red on the entire campus are a small bit of tounge on the logo I described, some random parked cars and some freshmen girls sheets. That's it. Not cups not thirst not notepads not nothing else. Meanwhile our 2 leaders are outlining very everything in red trying to fit it. noise.

If you wanted a splash logo wise and not what I put forth then it was a aggressive dog paw looking logo. Kill the dog face. That was the other way to go. We went neither way.

Lets talk helmets. Anything new uniforms wise ill take because what we had was that dry. The middle stripe is funky. I'm not sold but not crazy about it. The dog eyes are middle school ish. The worst part about these helmets is uconn across the back because the sides are empty. We're not a big enough school for casuals viewers to look and say uconn. It doesn't work for us. I was hoping for the longest time that we would get those navy helmets with the clock c on top with a white background and the bottom being blue. Fail.....

Hey you guys want to talk about a campus wide and fan/alum wide dog bone program? I would love to if your interested. No one at uconn could dream this up because they have no vision.
Dan,

Welcome back. And with a post that makes a ton of sense. I've highlighted some of what I think are the highlights. Whoever dreamed that mess of an "identity program" up shouldn't just be fired. He or she should be stripped, covered with honey and left tied spread eagle over an nest of fire ants.

Reaction Score
UCONN has a financial issue that they need to bridge right now, because of the complete collapse and folding of the Big East conference, and our failure to re-organize into one of the large revenue sharing football conferences.

None of that, has anything to do with the way that Manuel and Herbst have managed the athletic department and university, and was put in action long before they had any clue about what it was about, and why, and everyone makes mistakes. Getting outflanked by Tom Jurich, while they were in the Virgin Islands for women's basketball tournament, is a big mistake to learn from though. I think they did, and I think everything happens for a reason, and I think the ACC would be a bad place for UCONN in the long term. I always did, and I still do.

Rebranding the school, isn't about image. That's secondary. Rebranding, is about money - and finding ways to bridge the gap of the revenue streams we've had cut off as this new conference works to get up on it's feet. But you can't tell everybody, that spends so much money on UCONN gear, that everything they've got is going to be made obsolete because teh school needs an influx of $ and wants to pump a HUGE amount of money into the budgets for the next year on merchandise. You go about it, exactly the way they did, and sell it the way they did.

And UCONN merchandising, is a proven, and valueable commodity, and it's been on the move. Now everybody's old fluffy doggy gear is outdated, adn we need new stuff, and it will be interesting to track uconn merchandising over the next few years. Chances are, that it won't skip a beat, or such and undertaking wouldn't have been done, and in the meantime, the school will have pocketed a huge chunk of change.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Yeah....huh...but, Yeah!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Dan this was already discussed while you were banned. The fourty something's won

Reaction Score
You know, true story. I was at a graduation this weekend at one of the NESCAC schools. After the ceremony and such I stayed to help with the move out. Now my car has a rather smallish UConn Alumni Association window sticker. Two people I didn't know helping their kids move out and 1 I had met at a graduation event that weekend came up to me as we were getting the last few boxes out of the dorm. After asking if who went to UConn, all three told me that they were UConn grads, too and all 3 said, "Can you believe the crappy (well they didn't exactly say crappy. They all used more earthy language) new logo?" Then we stopped for dinner on our way home and a guy walking out of the restaurant came over and told me he had grown up in Connecticut (we were in Maine at the time) and was a Husky fan and he couldn't believe that they replaced the logo with a wolf. Carl could well be right that this is an effort to generate some quick cash on the cheap. After all, they paid $0 for the design and got a generic, cheap to reproduce logo so overhead is low. And there will be a bit of a bump in sales, though I suspect that will be over-rated. And they, since they have little or nothing invested in this junk, they can just as easily dump it in a couple of years and come up with yet another logo...perhaps replace Donald the Toupee Dog with Mitchell the malamute or something.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan this was already discussed while you were banned. The fourty something's won
No they did not. They are putting faith in it because at this point as a uconn fan that's all they can do with this leadership. If we were right now in the acc instead of Lville, the brand would be on a ugly stage media wise in ct the way the Rutgers lady is right now. Ppl are just falling in line because everything is so dark.

If I had the money I would hire that artist whose ideas went used and I would make ad wide unis for every sports just to make sure ppl realize how dumb things are. There are ways to be both cool and effective. What we did was cool and stupid. Ole miss and UNC unis are both acceptable compared to ours. Take the UNC black jersey and do it in our shade of blue. It's almost a full black jersey but you can see the blue a bit. Imagine it. Now show it to the kids and the fan base. That's cool but also effective.

I watched the argument here for a while. The problem was my side doesn't have a uniform or brand pic to compare so its not even or fair.

Way to many alums and fans are being lazy and trusting leadership.

I read the pinned thread a while back about a poster here trying to get elected or at a table for alum stuff. I told my family members to vote for him. He gets it. I may not agree with him on a logo or a seating or something, but he gets it. It's to bad more people here didn't run and pump him. I'm in no position but a lot of you were.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No they did not. They are putting faith in it because at this point as a uconn fan that's all they can do with this leadership. If we were right now in the acc instead of Lville, the brand would be on a ugly stage media wise in ct the way the Rutgers lady is right now. Ppl are just falling in line because everything is so dark.

If I had the money I would hire that artist whose ideas went used and I would make ad wide unis for every sports just to make sure ppl realize how dumb things are. There are ways to be both cool and effective. What we did was cool and stupid. Ole miss and UNC unis are both acceptable compared to ours. Take the UNC black jersey and do it in our shade of blue. It's almost a full black jersey but you can see the blue a bit. Imagine it. Now show it to the kids and the fan base. That's cool but also effective.

I watched the argument here for a while. The problem was my side doesn't have a uniform or brand pic to compare so its not even or fair.

I read the pinned thread a while back about a poster here trying to get elected or at a table for alum stuff. I told my family members to vote for him. He gets it. I may not agree with him on a logo or a seating or something, but he gets it. It's to bad more people here didn't run and pump him. I'm in no position but a lot of you were.

HFD, nobody hates the fact that we've abandoned the white husky more than me. NOBODY! I wrote a short letter that I'm sure made it to at least two BOT members. In it, I stated that we were throwing away 70+ years of tradition with the new husky logo. One of the two BOT members was at least nice enough to write me a response which essentially said, "That makes a lot of sense." (in fact, I'm pretty sure that sentence was in the response).

The problem is that nothing will be done. Nothing will be changed. And quite frankly, if I have to explain to a couple of BOT members why a white husky is important to our history, it means that we are surrounded by leaders who don't really give a f#$k about our history. I think that's the part that saddens me the most.

I'm willing to accept change; I'm willing to "upgrade" our look. But not at the expense of our traditions...

Reaction Score

Or... and just hear me out on this... there have been a lot of people who have never been fond of our goofy old logo and actually like the new one. I know, crazy idea.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Or... and just hear me out on this... there have been a lot of people who have never been fond of our goofy old logo and actually like the new one. I know, crazy idea.
I didn't love the old one. Barely liked it. But it really was the face brand during our best exposure times. I think that face was a bit fat/furry and the tongue needed to go all but a small bit of red background basically to teeth. Scary teeth. I actually want a bit more blue unlike others on the face but still more white than blue. I wish we could have a fair argument with this. I'm going to look up a artist who did uconn stuff before hopefully and see if we can do something.

The wolf now is way to far away from what we were. Actually I could maybe even say my idea is in the middle of the 2 somewhat if you put them side by side.

Honestly, what is it you like about the new one? I feel like southern Maine lol.

Reaction Score
I didn't love the old one. Barely liked it. But it really was the face brand during our best exposure times. I think that face was a bit fat/furry and the tongue needed to go all but a small bit of red background basically to teeth. Scary teeth. I actually want a bit more blue unlike others on the face but still more white than blue. I wish we could have a fair argument with this. I'm going to look up a artist who did uconn stuff before hopefully and see if we can do something.

The wolf now is way to far away from what we were. Actually I could maybe even say my idea is in the middle of the 2 somewhat if you put them side by side.

Honestly, what is it you like about the new one? I feel like southern Maine lol.

You're going to look up the artist (who you probably won't be able to find) to do what exactly? And what I like about it is that it looks good. I'm not sure what you want me to highlight about it that makes it aesthetically pleasing. And can you please just cut it out with the wolf thing. It looks like a wolf because huskies are very close relatives to wolves. You're so stuck on the fact that they went to a different type of husky when the last mascot isn't even a husky.

I'm also not sure what to make of the exposure comment, because they made the change to UCONN because that is what we are most known as, yet you seem against that move.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You're going to look up the artist (who you probably won't be able to find) to do what exactly? And what I like about it is that it looks good. I'm not sure what you want me to highlight about it that makes it aesthetically pleasing. And can you please just cut it out with the wolf thing. It looks like a wolf because huskies are very close relatives to wolves. You're so stuck on the fact that they went to a different type of husky when the last mascot isn't even a husky.

I'm also not sure what to make of the exposure comment, because they made the change to UCONN because that is what we are most known as, yet you seem against that move.

The last kind was a husky. It was a uconn husky. That was the all important unique feature that ppl are upset about. Unique sells and lasts. Brand power. We lack it for a reason. The husky needed a change but one both the core ppl and casual fans both could be served by. Fail. Core fans are 5050 on it. Casual fans don't know what school it is. That's a 75% fail. He'll if u kept it the same and core fans wanted something fresh u still have the casual brand power which is 50%.

The artist I am talking about did the last logo I think and was upset when his idea was not used this go around if I remember correctly. And just because of u, I will track that guy down.

Sounds to me u like the change but can't explain it. If you can't explain it then how it it a useful logo to brand power, school perception or tradition?

How old are you? I'm under 25.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Core fans are 5050 on it. Casual fans don't know what school it is. That's a 75% fail.

This is the key statement, in my opinion. And losing brand identity at a moment in time when we need it most was not fantastic timing. Oh well, I know I can't change what is done. I can only continue to support the university that I love.

For full disclosure, I'm not quite 40, but I'm only a couple of candles away...

Reaction Score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369785289.401655.jpg

Exhibit a. Several transformations over the years of the husky logo. I am sure all but the 90s to 02 transition where it changed little just got colored there was uproar. This is just change. Jonathan has more mojo than he ever has had. Age of alumnus has nothing to do with it.
Now the uniforms and logo were designed by Nike correct one of the world leaders in marketing or have marketed several successful products. I am ok with that and looki g forward to ordering some new merchandise

Reaction Score
The last kind was a husky. It was a uconn husky. That was the all important unique feature that ppl are upset about. Unique sells and lasts. Brand power. We lack it for a reason. The husky needed a change but one both the core ppl and casual fans both could be served by. Fail. Core fans are 5050 on it. Casual fans don't know what school it is. That's a 75% fail. He'll if u kept it the same and core fans wanted something fresh u still have the casual brand power which is 50%.

The artist I am talking about did the last logo I think and was upset when his idea was not used this go around if I remember correctly. And just because of u, I will track that guy down.

Sounds to me u like the change but can't explain it. If you can't explain it then how it it a useful logo to brand power, school perception or tradition?

How old are you? I'm under 25.

I'm 22. There's going to be a percentage of people who hate any change, so I don't really care what the immediate response is (the same reason I stay off facebook immediately after they change). Of the people who don't like it, most people will grow to like it eventually, it's how it always goes. As for casual fans not knowing, of course they don't, because the only teams that have any visibility haven't played since the logo changed.

We're discussing the visual aesthetics of a husky, you either like it or you don't. I like that it looks much less dated than the old one, doesn't look goofy, is more aggressive, and still unique enough to be associated easily (which you obviously disagree with).

And UCONN husky is not a breed of dog, sorry. It's called a samoyed. It's why the logo never looked like the actual dogs.

Reaction Score
View attachment 3001
Exhibit a. Several transformations over the years of the husky logo. I am sure all but the 90s to 02 transition where it changed little just got colored there was uproar. This is just change. Jonathan has more mojo than he ever has had. Age of alumnus has nothing to do with it.
Now the uniforms and logo were designed by Nike correct one of the world leaders in marketing or have marketed several successful products. I am ok with that and looki g forward to ordering some new merchandise

Oh, I would guess the 90s to 02 transition had plenty of people annoyed. No matter how minor the change, there is always the group that hates it because they can't deal with anything new.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
This is the key statement, in my opinion. And losing brand identity at a moment in time when we need it most was not fantastic timing. Oh well, I know I can't change what is done. I can only continue to support the university that I love.

For full disclosure, I'm not quite 40, but I'm only a couple of candles away...
And this is the problem. We all want to support uconn especially now in tuff times. But the only way schools learn is hitting them money wise. Just the truth of it. I can't give uconn money because in my mind the decisions ad wise have Been bc 3 years ago bad if not worse. I fully realize many here have a different attachment then me, but I'm the exact example of how they are hurting themselves. I want to go to uconn games. I do. I want cool blue shirts, hot cheerleaders, fun music and winning. But when none of that happens u have NYC and Boston at my doorstep. I'm a diehard, most non alums are not. They already left.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
View attachment 3001

What I would ask you is the following question, based on the six logos shown in your attachment: What do the first five have in common that the sixth does not? (even the hideous one from 1959)

The answer to that question is the reason I don't like the new logo. I actually don't mind the "Penfield version" (which is the all-white version that some still use as their avatars here)...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm 22. There's going to be a percentage of people who hate any change, so I don't really care what the immediate response is (the same reason I stay off facebook immediately after they change). Of the people who don't like it, most people will grow to like it eventually, it's how it always goes. As for casual fans not knowing, of course they don't, because the only teams that have any visibility haven't played since the logo changed.

We're discussing the visual aesthetics of a husky, you either like it or you don't. I like that it looks much less dated than the old one, doesn't look goofy, is more aggressive, and still unique enough to be associated easily (which you obviously disagree with).

And UCONN husky is not a breed of dog, sorry. It's called a samoyed. It's why the logo never looked like the actual dogs.
Oh, I would guess the 90s to 02 transition had plenty of people annoyed. No matter how minor the change, there is always the group that hates it because they can't deal with anything new.

The 90s to 2k dog change was a good one because of color. I like the 90s thinner look tho.

This is why it's not a fair argument. I need another example to compare to.

Look up southern Maine. I think of them before I think of uconn.

Reaction Score
And this is the problem. We all want to support uconn especially now in tuff times. But the only way schools learn is hitting them money wise. Just the truth of it. I can't give uconn money because in my mind the decisions ad wise have Been bc 3 years ago bad if not worse. I fully realize many here have a different attachment then me, but I'm the exact example of how they are hurting themselves. I want to go to uconn games. I do. I want cool blue shirts, hot cheerleaders, fun music and winning. But when none of that happens u have NYC and Boston at my doorstep. I'm a diehard, most non alums are not. They already left.

I normally can sort through the spelling and grammar issues, but I actually cannot even begin to decipher what you're trying to say in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom