Pitino: “That’s why next year, the only game we’re playing at Carnesecca is Connecticut. The rest, we’re gonna negotiate.” | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Pitino: “That’s why next year, the only game we’re playing at Carnesecca is Connecticut. The rest, we’re gonna negotiate.”

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What I find funny is that after our game at MSG last year, didn't it come out that St. John's didn't want to play us there this year? And then Rick got the job and said they need to play at MSG more, and said of course we're playing UConn there. And now he's trying to back out of playing us there.

All things considered I don't have any issue with them wanting to play us at Carnasecca. It's supposed to be a home game for them, I would be pissed if we had a home game and it was at best 50/50 with another team's fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They are certainly within their rights to play where they want. And we're within our rights to give them stick for it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
C'mon Chief. If the breakeven number is 10,500 and they draw 15,500; they are making money.
Except "the breakeven number" isn't 10,500. Connecticut pays the XL center $40,000 plus a three dollar per seat surcharge to play there. Even though it charges Connecticut that above fair market lease rate, it keeps all the concession money and all the parking money.

The cost to open up Gampel Is negligible by comparison and we keep concessions and parking monies. If we only have 10,500 fans showing up the XL center, we are losing money. But, you know all that, since we've had this conversation many times before.

Dan Benedict, who is in a better position than you or I to understand the financials says that playing at CDRA managed facilities costs UConn in excess of $7 1/2 million a year.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
What I find funny is that after our game at MSG last year, didn't it come out that St. John's didn't want to play us there this year? And then Rick got the job and said they need to play at MSG more, and said of course we're playing UConn there. And now he's trying to back out of playing us there.

All things considered I don't have any issue with them wanting to play us at Carnasecca. It's supposed to be a home game for them, I would be pissed if we had a home game and it was at best 50/50 with another team's fans.
I have no issue with playing at Carnasecca as a one off to honor Louis for his hundredth birthday, particularly if his health would permit him to actually be there. I doubt Hurley has any issue with it either.

The real question is whether the St. John's athletic department and administration is willing to forgo the extra revenue that Connecticut fans bring when we pack MSG. If so, we will just buy tickets off the secondary market and pack kind Carnesecca.

Reaction Score
They are certainly within their rights to play where they want. And we're within our rights to give them stick for it.
It's actually not within their right to play (fully) where they want as the Big East can dictate the terms of where games are played. Not saying they would or have previously, but the bylaws state if you play home games twice or more at a venue the Big East can determine where a particular game is played at their discretion.

Reaction Score
It's actually not within their right to play (fully) where they want as the Big East can dictate the terms of where games are played. Not saying they would or have previously, but the bylaws state if you play home games twice or more at a venue the Big East can determine where a particular game is played at their discretion.
You also have MSG themselves who have a say and they definitely won’t want to give up the money that UConn brings

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Except "the breakeven number" isn't 10,500. Connecticut pays the XL center $40,000 plus a three dollar per seat surcharge to play there. Even though it charges Connecticut that above fair market lease rate, it keeps all the concession money and all the parking money.

The cost to open up Gampel Is negligible by comparison and we keep concessions and parking monies. If we only have 10,500 fans showing up the XL center, we are losing money. But, you know all that, since we've had this conversation many times before.

Dan Benedict, who is in a better position than you or I to understand the financials says that playing at CDRA managed facilities costs UConn in excess of $7 1/2 million a year.

And yet we've continued to play there for 40 years, somehow have managed to win 5 national titles and don't take nearly as much slack from the state from reporting $40M+ deficit in athletics.

Maybe it isn't all that bad?

CL82

Reaction Score
And yet we've continued to play there for 40 years, somehow have managed to win 5 national titles and don't take nearly as much slack from the state from reporting $40M+ deficit in athletics.

Maybe it isn't all that bad?
Lol, you seem pretty willing to write off the record deficits as inconsequential. They are exactly the point. The post I replied to was talking about financials.

Is the XL center more convenient for some fans? Definitely. Do we get charged way above the market rate for the privilege of playing in and out of date facility that the coaches and players dislike? Also definitely.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We've been on the other side of this as well. UMass stopped playing UConn when UConn insisted the game be played in Gampel. UMass was on record saying they could "dictate terms". Now nobody has heard from them in about 30 years.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Did Slick Rick just jinx Lou?

I wouldn't be making early birthday plans for a man that is about to turn 100. Just Sayin'...
Sick Rick already thought of that ....

CL82

Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Then it becomes a memorial game.
Yeah but as morbid as it sounds my guess is that Rick was thinking more along the lines of a Weekend at Bernie's scenario.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lol, you seem pretty willing to write off the record deficits as inconsequential. They are exactly the point. The post I replied to was talking about financials.

Is the XL center more convenient for some fans? Definitely. Do we get charged way above the market rate for the privilege of playing in and out of date facility that the coaches and players dislike? Also definitely.

And every single post regarding this you only cite expense with no mention of revenue.

Omitted from this discussion each time is the PSL revenue from Hartford tickets. Given that the arena is essentially sold out for the entire season that seems relevant.

Reaction Score
Also - While we are at it. Can we start hyping the February 3rd early. We should make a thread and make it a point to pack MSG full of UConn fans this year. I already told my wife to circle the date in her calendar. NO EXCUSES.

LETS JAM PACK MSG! Lets make it their only sellout. Start spreading the word to the non boneyard folks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom