PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 20 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Huge block:

And a nice spin & floater:

That move won't play in college hoops, tho - the big will come out and challenge the shot. Gilbert's development will be about finding pocket passes and lobs from that spot, and he could do worse than watching Boat, Bazz & DHam highlights as an instructional guide.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Crystal ball pick. God the offseason is boring. Any decision timetable for Gilbert?

Reaction Score
Can someone post the important stuff from the latest Scout article?

Reaction Score
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction Score
Syracuse dream school lol

Hey c'mon there are some kids who dream of playing zone for a few years md.:rolleyes:

I mean he looks like he can be a pick pocket type on D in the Boat and Bazz mold why waste your talents at the Cuse and one side of the court for the years you play college ball? Although Cuse does do a great job prepping their players to be the best D League players they can be.

Reaction Score
Thinking about the Larrier commit and the King visit this weekend. Although many have said that Louisville is the clear front runner for King, he is coming this weekend and if KO makes a strong impression you never know. However, I think it's very likely we only land one do to our outlook next year for PG, SG and SF.

If only Gilbert commits
1. Adams
2. Purvis
3. Larrier
4. Facey/Enoch
5. Brimah

or

1. Adams
2. Gilbert (both would handle the ball)
3. Purvis
4. Facey/Enoch/Larrier
5. Brimah

But if Gilbert AND King commit I see a log jam. A log jam that would be great for KO but isn't great in a recruits eyes.

1. Adams
2. Purvis
3. King
4. Larrier
5. Brimah

Bench: Gilbert, Enoch, Facey. A lot of combinations here.

**All predicated upon Hamilton leaving, which I certainly believe to be the case.

Thoughts? I personally think that 8 man rotation would scare away a recruit like King. And if I had to choose between King and Gilbert, I take Gilbert.

Reaction Score
Thinking about the Larrier commit and the King visit this weekend. Although many have said that Louisville is the clear front runner for King, he is coming this weekend and if KO makes a strong impression you never know. However, I think it's very likely we only land one do to our outlook next year for PG, SG and SF.

If only Gilbert commits
1. Adams
2. Purvis
3. Larrier
4. Facey/Enoch
5. Brimah

or

1. Adams
3. Purvis
4. Facey/Enoch/Larrier
5. Brimah

But if Gilbert AND King commit I see a log jam. A log jam that would be great for KO but isn't great in a recruits eyes.

1. Adams
2. Purvis
3. King
4. Larrier
5. Brimah

**All predicated upon Hamilton leaving, which I certainly believe to be the case.

Thoughts? I personally think that 8 man rotation would scare away a recruit like King. And if I had to choose between King and Gilbert, I take Gilbert.

King is more talented than Gilbert, and is a better prospect long-term, but Gilbert looks perfect for us. I think that King is probably out with Larrier in the fold, since Purvis is probably going to still be around next year. I think that Diallo reclassifying and coming in might be a better option for us, since he won't need to be a featured player as a freshman, but would still be able to slide into Purvis' spot as a sophomore.

Reaction Score

If only Gilbert commits
1. Adams
2. Purvis
3. Larrier
4. Facey/Enoch
5. Brimah

or

1. Adams
3. Purvis
4. Facey/Enoch/Larrier
5. Brimah

1. Adams
2. Purvis
3. King
4. Larrier
5. Brimah

I think RP is gone whether he is ready or not. I think he wants to get drafted and is definitely a confident guy. Now if he has an inconsistent year then he might come back. So thus there would be no log jam. Though right now there are a lot of if's for KO. There is at least 5 guys leaving with Dham(I agree I can't see him staying more years if he is as good as he seems). Also, AB could leave whether he is going to be drafted or not but I don't think we have heard anything that would leave us to believe he would leave early besides being older for his class.

Reaction Score
New article up on Rivals, and partially posted in Gilbert's profile, but here's a nice quote from him about Ollie:

"For me being a point guard, a small point guard and Kevin Ollie being able to fight through adversity like that for 13 years stands out," said Gilbert. "Playing for many different NBA teams, it showed how hard he worked."
He certainly says the right things. He just seems like a Husky type prospect. The recruits that are all about what's in it for me rarely come to UConn. The ones that are all about hard work are the ones that do.

Reaction Score
So Louisville offered top 3 PG(he's kind of a combo) in De'Aaron Fox, and they've also been said at one point to be after Dennis Smith very hard, althought it seems unlikely he goes there. Seems like Gilbert is a bit of a plan B/C option for them at PG, I hope he's taking note of this.

Reaction Score
So Louisville offered top 3 PG(he's kind of a combo) in De'Aaron Fox, and they've also been said at one point to be after Dennis Smith very hard, althought it seems unlikely he goes there. Seems like Gilbert is a bit of a plan B/C option for them at PG, I hope he's taking note of this.
I hear this a lot, but just think about how many Plan-A recruits UConn has on its roster each year. Like most programs, it is made up of play B, C and D recruits. That's just the way it is at most top programs or may most programs in general. Even the Dooks and UKs of the world, don't get the ones they want most, though their plan B, C and Ds are often most programs plan As. JC had a knack for finding under-the-radar and under-ranked recruits, some of which were his plan-A. He seemed to drop out of the arms race when he noticed a recruit was being coveted by a number of blue chip programs. When a recruit would have the likes of some combination of Dook, UK, UNC, Zona and a handful of others recruiting them, JC would focus on other more attainable ones. KO seems to be more willing to go up against the big boys and unfortunately ending up on the wrong side of the decision.

One great example of who I think was a Plan-A under-the-radar recruit was Jeremy Lamb. JC had radar lock on him before most realized how good he was. Ben Gordon is another, though many knew he was good, but his skipping AAU ball after his junior season worked in UConn favor. I'm not saying JC didn't land his share of big time recruits that were also coveted by the big boys, but most of our great to very good players weren't JC's first choices, such as Emeka, Boone, Hilton, Bazz, Boatright and even Kemba. I can remember JC going hard after PG after PG having to settle for the likes of Kemba, Bazz and Boat. Few realized how good Kemba was till he blew up big time mid to late summer. UConn jump on him and he picked UConn just before his meteoric rise up the rankings and Burger AA stature.

I sort of blew off topic in DM fashion...sorry. I've tried to be better lately. My point was that most recruits if they're smart, don't take it personally if they're not the plan-A recruit for a given program. The smart ones simply whittle their list to 3 to 5 programs they're interested most in, and then try to choose the one that fits them best. there have been many happy recruits that chose the program that didn't have them as their top guy and ended up in great situations that suited them well. With that said, with all things equal or close, it doesn't hurt to make it clear to a recruit that they are your top choice. The risk though is if you're too overt about it, you could turn away your B, C and D recruits, so it's best to cast an impression that you're all over the recruit, while casting a wide enough net to make sure you get one of the handful of ones you hope to land. I don't know what is a net cast too wide or a line to thin. Some believe that KO missed out on so many 2015 recruits because he cast too wide a net, but I think our conference situation (not being a P5 one) had more to do with it than the width of his net. JC use to cast a wide net, maybe not as wide as KO, but he was masterful at zeroing in on the ones he wanted that he felt were attainable. Even the likes of UK, Dook and UNC don't get all their top choices and even sometime have to pick low in the barrel to fill some needed spots on the roster. UK didn't clean up as most had thought with the 2015 class. I must admit, I like JC's MO where he'd get a few blue chip and under-ranked kids he really likes, got lucky with a few left-overs (Emeka is the poster child for that). Remember Sampson and Fox? Most have forgotten them. I might have the wrong year and players, but I think those are the two that the Boneyard lost their minds when we missed out on them, and ones that Emeka helped all of us forget who those other two were.

Just seems a lot of folks are getting really excited about the Stones, Jones, Kings, Keglers, etc, most of which will never wear a UConn uniform. Like most seasons, the future Huskies we will root for might not be names we're even talking about now and through even July. Now I think KO just might land a few though since the 2016 and 17 were of an impressionable age when UConn won NC #4 and are kids he's followed for two or more years now as UConn's head coach. Landing a Gilbert or a Diallo or one or two of the other 2016 and/or 2017 kids we're talking a lot about lately, especially the one in the NE region would not be that huge of a surprise. I'd love to see us land a couple top 10...15 players like King and Kegler, but the likelihood based on UConn's track record even in the Big Bad Big East is just not that great. I try to be realistic but open to be pleasantly surprised when we land the Rudy Gay's, Rip Hamilton's, KEA's, Caron's, and Donyell's, but set my heart more on the Gordon's, Lamb's, Emeka's, Boone's, and Bazz's that have formed the backbone of our 4 time National Champion UConn Husky program. I like that we're a blend of skill and blue collar, outwork your opponent type program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hear this a lot, but just think about how many Plan-A recruits UConn has on its roster each year. Like most programs, it is made up of play B, C and D recruits. That's just the way it is at most top programs or may most programs in general. Even the Dooks and UKs of the world, don't get the ones they want most, though their plan B, C and Ds are often most programs plan As. JC had a knack for finding under-the-radar and under-ranked recruits, some of which were his plan-A. He seemed to drop out of the arms race when he noticed a recruit was being coveted by a number of blue chip programs. When a recruit would have the likes of some combination of Dook, UK, UNC, Zona and a handful of others recruiting them, JC would focus on other more attainable ones. KO seems to be more willing to go up against the big boys and unfortunately ending up on the wrong side of the decision.

One great example of who I think was a Plan-A under-the-radar recruit was Jeremy Lamb. JC had radar lock on him before most realized how good he was. Ben Gordon is another, though many knew he was good, but his skipping AAU ball after his junior season worked in UConn favor. I'm not saying JC didn't land his share of big time recruits that were also coveted by the big boys, but most of our great to very good players weren't JC's first choices, such as Emeka, Boone, Hilton, Bazz, Boatright and even Kemba. I can remember JC going hard after PG after PG having to settle for the likes of Kemba, Bazz and Boat. Few realized how good Kemba was till he blew up big time mid to late summer. UConn jump on him and he picked UConn just before his meteoric rise up the rankings and Burger AA stature.

I sort of blew off topic in DM fashion...sorry. I've tried to be better lately. My point was that most recruits if they're smart, don't take it personally if they're not the plan-A recruit for a given program. The smart ones simply whittle their list to 3 to 5 programs they're interested most in, and then try to chose the one that fits them best. there have been many happy recruits that chose the program that didn't have them as their top guy and ended up in great situations that suited them well. With that said, with all things equal or close, it doesn't hurt to make it clear to a recruit that they are your top choice. The risk though is if you're too overt about it, you could turn away your B, C and D recruits, so it's best to cast an impression that you're all over the recruit, while casting a wide enough net to make sure you get one of the handful of ones you hope to land. I don't know what is a net cast too wide or a line to thin. Some believe that KO missed out on so many 2015 recruits because he cast too wide a net, but I think our conference situation (not being a P5 one) had more to do with it than the width of his net. JC use to cast a wide net, maybe not as wide as KO, but he was masterful at zeroing in on the ones he wanted that he felt were attainable. Even the likes of UK, Dook and UNC don't get all their top choices and even sometime have to pick low in the barrel to fill some needed spots on the roster. UK didn't clean up as most had thought with the 2015 class. I must admit, I like JC's MO where he'd get a few blue chip and under-ranked kids he really likes, got lucky with a few left-overs (Emeka is the poster child for that). Remember Sampson and Fox? Most have forgotten them. I might have the wrong year and players, but I think those are the two that the Boneyard lost their minds when we missed out on them, and ones that Emeka helped all of us forget who those other two were.

Just seems a lot of folks are getting really excited about the Stones, Jones, Kings, Keglers, etc, most of which will never wear a UConn uniform. Like most seasons, the future Huskies we will root for might not be names we're even talking about now and through even July. Now I think KO just mind land a few though since the 2016 and 17 were of an impressionable age when UConn won NC #4 and are kids he's followed for two or more years now as UConn's head coach. Landing a Gilbert or a Diallo or one or two of the other 2016 and/or 2017 kids we're talking a lot about lately, especially the one in the NE region would not be that huge of a surprise. I'd love to see us land a couple top 10...15 players like King and Kegler, but the likelihood based on UConn's track record even in the Big Bad Big East is just not that great. I try to be realistic but open to be pleasantly surprised when we land the Rudy Gay's, Rip Hamilton's, KEA's, Caron's, and Donyell's, but set my heart more on the Gordon's, Lamb's, Emeka's, Boone's, and Bazz's that have formed the backbone of our 5 time National Champion UConn Husky program. I like that we're a blend of skill and blue collar, outwork your opponent type program.
That was concise.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Just seems a lot of folks are getting really excited about the Stones, Jones, Kings, Keglers, etc, most of which will never wear a UConn uniform.

Don't you dare break their hearts!

Reaction Score
Alterique may be short, but the dude's a straight baller.

Really hope we see him in a UConn jersey. His game has UConn written all over it.
yeah he's definitely not 6'1. looks about the same size as tremont waters

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
At 5'11" or 6'0", he's probably a couple of inches taller than Waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom