PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American) | Page 22 | The Boneyard

PG Alterique Gilbert (McDonald's All-American)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Damn, Gilbert went from 43 to 23 in new ESPN rankings. He is now a 5* and rated as the 5th best PG: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

Keep an eye on Alterique Gilbert, who has great speed but also does a great job of changing pace and direction to keep a defense off balance when he goes to the rim. What separates him from his peers is his lack of turnovers. He defends his position, and he makes open shots.
You still think we are in the lead for him?

Reaction Score
You still think we are in the lead for him?
Yes, I think so. For all the struggles that Kevin Ollie and his staff have had in recruiting, I don't think they've had any problems getting their #1 target. Daniel Hamilton was #1 in 2014 and Jalen Adams was #1 in 2015. I think they've prioritized Gilbert in 2016 and have made him the #1 target, and hopefully they get the same results.

Syracuse seems to think they have a shot, and they do need a PG, but I would be surprised if any top recruit committed there over the next couple of years. Not sure about the other schools, but we'll get a better idea if/when Gilbert starts planning other official visits.

Reaction Score
There are some top schools involved that where n a few months back. This could be a longer road then we hope. Still think we lead. (Hope I am wrong)

Reaction Score
Bazz and Boat's teammates really sucked, huh. I mean the team only won a national championship. What failures for not going undefeated.

U mean Giffey? Daniels? Kromah? Those guys? Hrrrrghhhh!!!!

Reaction Score
I hope Adams and Gilbert can become the next Bazz-and-Boat (and with better teammates).

Bazz and Boat's teammates really sucked, huh. I mean the team only won a national championship. What failures for not going undefeated.
Straw man argument. Saying that Team A is better than the Team B isn't saying that Team B sucks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For instance if I say that 2004 championship team is better than the 2014 championship team I am not implying that 2014's team sucked or were failures. Both teams were great I just think 04's team was greater.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think so. For all the struggles that Kevin Ollie and his staff have had in recruiting, I don't think they've had any problems getting their #1 target. Daniel Hamilton was #1 in 2014 and Jalen Adams was #1 in 2015. I think they've prioritized Gilbert in 2016 and have made him the #1 target, and hopefully they get the same results.

Syracuse seems to think they have a shot, and they do need a PG, but I would be surprised if any top recruit committed there over the next couple of years. Not sure about the other schools, but we'll get a better idea if/when Gilbert starts planning other official visits.
What a Catch-22 here. On one hand, it's great to see that KO locked in on a recruit that was moderately ranked, really liked UConn, and has blown up of late. On the other hand, I would not be shocked if the other programs on his list up the interest if they haven't done so already, and some new top P5 programs jump on the bandwagon. Now if any of those new programs are ones that he really likes and would consider better than UConn, we could be in trouble.

He just looks and sounds like KO type of kid, so I'm going to remain optimistic that he's ours to lose. With that said, I've learned not to get attached to any one recruit. History tells us that the swings and misses are dramatically more likely than the home runs. I've said this before, but I'll keep this perspective and enjoy the pleasantly surprised scenario if and when it happens.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Any word if Gilbert plans to announce early or late?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm still considering Gilbert a UConn commit until the day he signs a NLOI for a different school. And I don't think the latter happens.

I hope you're joking. He had a visit here and really liked it, but you're getting way ahead of yourself.

Reaction Score
I'm still considering Gilbert a UConn commit until the day he signs a NLOI for a different school. And I don't think the latter happens.

I have family land in Florida for sale. Very close to Orlando and Miami. . Interesting? Cheap

pj

Reaction Score
I have family land in Florida for sale. Very close to Orlando and Miami. . Interesting? Cheap

I have family land in Kansas. Very close to Los Angeles and New York City. It will be very expensive though.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I am not.

Well you're setting yourself up for a major meltdown if he ends up elsewhere. I also don't understand why you consider him a commit when he hasn't made any sort of announcement.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Well you're setting yourself up for a major meltdown if he ends up elsewhere. I also don't understand why you consider him a commit when he hasn't made any sort of announcement.

Brochacho is expressing his hunch or letting on about some inside info. Either way, sounds good to me!

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Alright then. Well I'm considering the next 10 NCAA tourneys to as UConn wins until someone else wins one.

Reaction Score
Alright then. Well I'm considering the next 10 NCAA tourneys to as UConn wins until someone else wins one.
If I am right, you throw me a like. If I am wrong, I'll never post on the Boneyard again. I've thought this for 2 months now, no straw man will sway my thoughts.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
If I am right, you throw me a like. If I am wrong, I'll never post on the Boneyard again. I've thought this for 2 months now, no straw man will sway my thoughts.

If you actually have insider info, I respect that completely. I'll take back everything I said if that's the case.

Reaction Score
ESPN basketball recruiting director talks new ESPN100

Q: Among the biggest movers was Miller Grove (Ga.) point Alterique Gilbert, who jumped 20 spots. What led to his rise?

A: He does three things really well. He doesn’t turn it over as a point guard and that’s huge because a lot of kids today are very careless with the ball who call themselves point guards. He makes open shots at a good percentage, he defends his position and he has great speed in the open floor and he also has the ability to change his speed and direction to get into the lane and score or find guys. He’s got a good drive-and-find game, so he’s been very consistent. He’s had strong performances, and he’s playing the hardest position there is on the floor.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/paul-bi...osh-jackson-jayson-tatum#sthash.6JXUnxvI.uxfs

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
One thing is clear, this kid is a bonafide stud, and now with Ollie on him, the whole country wants a piece of the next Shabazz Napier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom