PF Malik William (UConn Offer) | The Boneyard

PF Malik William (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

Looks like a good passer for a 4 from the video, but doesn't seem particularly athletic and is barely 6'8. Must have long arms because he has been a big shot blocker throughout the summer. He and Brown both have helium right now.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Nice soft touch on his shot, excellent outlet passes (lots of them), quick, accurate passes generally, nice touch around hoop, nice timing on blocks, seems to have pretty good hands.

Cons: not a high flyer, not fast down the court (but is in high school and could look very different in a couple of years (remember Govan?).

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
How do I speed up the YouTube player mine seems to be in slow motion.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Go to 2:49 of the video in post #1.
How can anyne run a basketball league with an official who waddles?

caw

Reaction Score
I have to say I've never seen a highlight video quite like that.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Ok. A few observations after watching that mix tape.

1.) We usually joke that these videos are nothing but highlight dunk videos - this one is a refreshing change........
2.) I've never seen someone block so many shots with his feet flat on the ground.....I guess when you play against the local Parks & Rec team, jumping isn't necessary.
3.) His jumper is almost a set shot. I can just see an opposing point guard swatting his shot into the 20th row.
4.) It's always fun to see a recruit that has a worse vertical leap than I do. I sometimes joke on here about players playing below the rim. This kid plays below the court.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I don't like it when posters trash a kid that apparently Coach Ollie likes based on a 90 sec video.
His skill set reminds me a bit of the center for St. Joseph who tore us up.
A 3/4 court outlet to a streaking AG or JA or hopefully HD would be a very effective weapon!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't like it when posters trash a kid that apparently Coach Ollie likes based on a 90 sec video.
A 3/4 court outlet to a streaking AG or JA or hopefully HD would be a very effective weapon!
Mix tapes are supposed to showcase your best moments. Either that's all there is or he needs a new mix tape producer. Why do we always have to bring in project big men? We have a team full of them right now.

Reaction Score
My guess is that his wingspan is huge. He has shooting skills that few college power forwards have and he appears to be a very good passer. I also like his ability to hit floaters and little bank hooks, nice, soft touch. I agree he looks a bit earthbound but his skill set is pretty good and you know KO likes those outlet passes, which were all right on the money. Interesting prospect, definitely the type of guy that often eats us alive when we don't see it coming. I'm 50/50 on this one.

Reaction Score
My guess is that his wingspan is huge. He has shooting skills that few college power forwards have and he appears to be a very good passer. I also like his ability to hit floaters and little bank hooks, nice, soft touch. I agree he looks a bit earthbound but his skill set is pretty good and you know KO likes those outlet passes, which were all right on the money. Interesting prospect, definitely the type of guy that often eats us alive when we don't see it coming. I'm 50/50 on this one.

Many here also labeled Jesse Govan like this and from what I've seen thus far looks like he would've worn the NFB uni nicely.

Reaction Score
He's got that Derek Fisher arc to his shot... Hopefully he doesn't go to a school with low rafters in their arena.

pj

Reaction Score
shotblocking, passing, shooting, those are 3 nice skills in a big man

Reaction Score
Can this kid dunk?? I'm sure he can based on height alone but it looks like he has a 6" vertical...

pj

Reaction Score
Can this kid dunk?? I'm sure he can based on height alone but it looks like he has a 6" vertical...

I don't know what you guys think you are seeing. He gets off the ground quickly to block shots. I'm sure he can more than match my 22" vertical.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Yup - Halil Kanacevic. I absolutely loved watching that kid play and hated watching him play against us. We had no answers for his passing out of the post for most of that game, and luckily were able to foul him out just before the end of regulation. You all remember what happened next.

No doubt. Plus notice there were a couple of good interior passes in that highlight mix, as well as a couple of great cuts. The kid may not be an athlete but he looks like he's a hell of a basketball player.

We've had a ton of post players who could affect the game with their athleticism, shot-blocking, rebounding and scoring. We've never really had an exceptional passing big man, or a big who understood backdoor cuts and used them as a weapon to punish swarming defenses. I'd love to get a player like that, even if he has trouble jumping over a sheet of paper.

Reaction Score
To me he has the look of a kid whose height finally caught up to his girth in the recent past, and thusly his strength isn't quite there yet. He just looks young and a little underdeveloped. Not every kid looks like LeBron did at that age. The skills he shows when the ball is in his hands are also not something you often see in a big man at his age.

Also, you know you're a big fella when you gotta do that little giddy up hop to get going into a jog.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The skills he shows when the ball is in his hands are also not something you often see in a big man at his age.
This! Miller and Brimah have combined for 5 assists on the season. Last year our our entire big-man rotation had 25 assists in 35 games.

Serious question: Can anyone remember the last time a UConn big man hit a guard or wing on a backdoor cut? I'm not sure it's happened this decade.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Tyler threw some nice passes. And he won two titles, so...

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Good rule of thumb is to trust that Ollie isnt going to offer any scrub a schollie after seeing several of his target shoot up the rankings over the past two years. He has a great eye for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom