PF Malik William (UConn Offer) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PF Malik William (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's got nice offensive touch.. and can shoot the 3... just would like to see him move around a little more. at 6'8 he can stand around like that at this level...-

Reaction Score
Very good timing an coordination on those blocked shots. He is definitely slow footed, but what with that timing and long arms, I'm sure he'd still be affective. He looks to have really soft touch around the basket and a very nice outside shot (much like Enoch's). Looks be a good rebounder too. Im not bad at this kid. Some players dont wow you in highlight videos, but they get the job done on the court. I'll have to trust that Ollie see's him as a no nonsense no frills type of guy that just puts in work on the floor. I cant be mad at a having a player who can be around for 3 to 4 years and hopefully peak when we need him most.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's got nice offensive touch.. and can shoot the 3... just would like to see him move around a little more
Let's remember that he's the kind of recruit who wouldn't be expected to be a big contributor at this level until 2019. He's got a few years to grow into his body and become a better athlete.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, from a coaches perspective there is stuff to like. He defends the rim without fouling and can both outlet pass or make a quick pass with zip.

Not at lot of needless motion - which the First Night crowd may see as a negative - but is actually a sign of a good player.

He seems to know where the ball is and gets it - good instincts. Soft touch - needs to get more explosive - get stronger in the lower body.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yup - Halil Kanacevic. I absolutely loved watching that kid play and hated watching him play against us. We had no answers for his passing out of the post for most of that game, and luckily were able to foul him out just before the end of regulation. You all remember what happened next.

No doubt. Plus notice there were a couple of good interior passes in that highlight mix, as well as a couple of great cuts. The kid may not be an athlete but he looks like he's a hell of a basketball player.

We've had a ton of post players who could affect the game with their athleticism, shot-blocking, rebounding and scoring. We've never really had an exceptional passing big man, or a big who understood backdoor cuts and used them as a weapon to punish swarming defenses. I'd love to get a player like that, even if he has trouble jumping over a sheet of paper.
No doubt he would also benefit from working with the strength and conditioning coach to improve the jumping. Boat swore by
the S & C coach at UConn and I used to love watching him, Bazz and others sky up for those boards. A kid who has the bb IQ he seems to have and is coachable which he must be has great capacity to learn what the staff can give him. Agree......could be a real find.

C

Chief00

No doubt he would also benefit from working with the strength and conditioning coach to improve the jumping. Boat swore by
the S & C coach at UConn and I used to love watching him, Bazz and others sky up for those boards. A kid who has the bb IQ he seems to have and is coachable which he must be has great capacity to learn what the staff can give him. Agree.could be a real find.

You definitely see a trend with the strength and conditioning coach - he does great work with guards looking for conditioning and flexibility. Where I don't see the results is in Bigs brute power - sometimes you need to play smash mouth basketball - and when that's the game - our Bigs don't measure up unfortunately.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
ohmygod @uconnbill I swear your humor chipset is permanently disabled. CTFO

That may be true but others agreed with me on people being way yo critical of players from 3 minutes of video.

Merry Christmas

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You definitely see a trend with the strength and conditioning coach - he does great work with guards looking for conditioning and flexibility. Where I don't see the results is in Bigs brute power - sometimes you need to play smash mouth basketball - and when that's the game - our Bigs don't measure up unfortunately.
Hoping this change is coming with the recruiting of Enoch, Diarra and potential Zach Brown et al. Boards seem to be a combination of instinct and will (to endure pain and dish it out, training to win etc.) as well as size and athleticism. Like what I see coming up through the ranks and beyond.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Came out of nowhere and is now considered a 4-star, top 100 recruit according to 247.

According to VerbalCommits, his only offers are us, Clemson, UCF and Northern Arizona. Obviously that will change, but I like that we were the first big team to get on this kid.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
WOW...good call. I totally screwed the pooch there. This is what happens when I don't have my morning coffee.

I only know because I made the same mistake before lol

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Just checked this kid's Twitter. He's following every UConn-related twitter feed there is, including a couple of Boneyarders -- @tcf15 and @3uconn

He also follows some Clemson stuff, but not as much despite having visited them last month and saying he "likes everything about Clemson."

Obviously there's a long way to go in his recruiting process, but I really like that we were the first significant school to offer him, and I really hope we get him up to First Night next year. A PF like this kid could help us run some of the big-to-big stuff that we see from SMU, Notre Dame, Kansas and UNC - the 4 most fun offenses to watch in college hoops this year IMO.

We need better passers. This kid fits the bill.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Got two crystal ball picks for Florida over the last 48 hours, as did Chaundee Brown.

Reaction Score
I like his game. He might not be an NBA player but he could be a very solid college player. A question that might not be emphasized enough when evaluating players is, does the kid actually know how to play the game? He does and thats good. Players who actually know how to play help you win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom