PF/C Juwan Durham (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 27 | The Boneyard

PF/C Juwan Durham (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll always be a fan of Rudy Johnson. What is it with Florida kids?

Of course he and Sue Mayo demonstrate why inter gender scrimmages can be problems. I'm wondering if this incident precipitated or increased some bitterness between JC and Geno.

Wow digging up old dirt huh? Nice

Reaction Score
That's not true - every tear is different. A doctor friend of mine tore her ACL while skiing on her first run of the day up at Jay Peak, and kept going. She knew she'd done something, but it didn't bother her at all, and when she finally had it looked at she said "oh that makes sense" and only did rehab. No surgery or anything.

Another friend just did his two weeks ago playing rec soccer. Another instance of just landing wrong and feeling a slight tweak, and then some discomfort. After two weeks he finally went to the doctor and got an MRI, and now he's deciding whether or not he wants surgery.

Not all bodies are the same, and not all tears are the same. Roberto Baggio came back from an ACL in 4 months; other guys have taken 1.5 years.
So the medical world no longer distinguishes severity?

Technically speaking, a strain is a tear, but that term is only used when it's relatively minor.

Yeah this is kinda what I was saying.

But this is just me being a jerk about semantics. Carry on. Hope the kid makes a speedy recovery and we hear a timeframe soon.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This is tough news and I feel for Jawan as I had ACL surgery a couple months ago myself. I actually tore mine 2 years ago and walked on it without knowing it was torn for nearly a year and a half until I was fed up with the swelling and got an MRI. I'm happy to say though that my doctor was incredible and the surgery was great, I was walking again in 3 weeks. I hope Jawan finds a new doctor and he gets healthy ASAP to throw on the Husky Blue and White.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Well, if I'm an NBA GM I wouldn't want him. Fortunately he's young enough, maybe he can bounce back and get a couple strong years in his youth (hopefully with UConn).But multiple ACL tears is a bad sign for a basketball player long-term. Especially a guy approaching 7 feet. Oden, Bynum, K-Perk, Yao... The list goes on for big men who could never overcome injuries to sustain a long career. Here's to a full recovery.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Well, if I'm an NBA GM I wouldn't want him. Fortunately he's young enough, maybe he can bounce back and get a couple strong years in his youth (hopefully with UConn).But multiple ACL tears is a bad sign for a basketball player long-term. Especially a guy approaching 7 feet. Oden, Bynum, K-Perk, Yao... The list goes on for big men who could never overcome injuries to sustain a long career. Here's to a full recovery.

We're a college team, not an NBA team.

Reaction Score
This is tough news and I feel for Jawan as I had ACL surgery a couple months ago myself. I actually tore mine 2 years ago and walked on it without knowing it was torn for nearly a year and a half until I was fed up with the swelling and got an MRI. I'm happy to say though that my doctor was incredible and the surgery was great, I was walking again in 3 weeks. I hope Jawan finds a new doctor and he gets healthy ASAP to throw on the Husky Blue and White.[/

But you fought through it and continued posting on the yard! :)

Reaction Score
Summertime is projected to be when he can resume hoop activities. Hopefully he'll be ready for 2016-17

Reaction Score

Oden and Yao had foot problems. Bynum had a dislocated kneecap. I don't know why Perk was mentioned. These are not remotely similar situations to a torn ACL.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
One major difference is that the kid is 6'10 or so...and his main activity requires significant jumping and stopping and starting. Plus he's already done a knee. Recovery would likely take a while we're it an acl.
For sure. I was just pointing out that, in the moment, it's possible to tear your ACL (complete tear, even) and not realize you've done it. Not every single one ends with the person crumpled on the ground in a sobbing heap.

Reaction Score
A few years ago, I was about to go bowling with some friends, and I slipped on ice while getting into the car.

It was pretty damn painful, and I realized quickly that I couldn't stand back up if I bent my knees all the way. I persevered on through several games of bowling (with the help of several drinks), and never saw a doctor.

It could have been my ACL, but I guess I'll never know. It's fine now.

That was drunken bowling knee pain story time with Leebo.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
A few years ago, I was about to go bowling with some friends, and I slipped on ice while getting into the car.

It was pretty damn painful, and I realized quickly that I couldn't stand back up if I bent my knees all the way. I persevered on through several games of bowling (with the help of several drinks), and never saw a doctor.

It could have been my ACL, but I guess I'll never know. It's fine now.

That was drunken bowling knee pain story time with Leebo.

Prolly a torn meniscus and or Cartilage. Happened to me while playing softball and swinging at a pitch.
Never saw a doctor and the pain / swelling went away, after about 4 weeks.

Reaction Score
Prolly a torn meniscus and or Cartilage. Happened to me while playing softball and swinging at a pitch.
Never saw a doctor and the pain / swelling went away, after about 4 weeks.

To be fair, if you never saw a doctor, you are also in the "can't know for sure" camp. ;)

But yeah, there's a few things it could have been other than ACL.

Reaction Score
I once used one of those monitoring apps to figure out how much time I was spending on various sights. The time suck on the Yard was nauseating. I took six months off as a result.
Will you please become a sponsor?

Reaction Score
Dejaun Blairs ceiling was capped not only by his lack of acls but being 6'7 and stocky ... Think Durham is blessed with great length wonder what his measurements are currently .

Reaction Score
Ollie is a class coach.
We're a class program.
When we make you an offer, we don't retract it without significant off-the-court cause.
When you accept our offer, we expect you'll honor it, and you're a Husky from that day forward.
This kid's a Husky. Period. I don't care if he plays 1 game. If he comes here, works his hardest, gets repeatedly injured, and ends up doing his best impression of Samuel L. Jackson in "Unbreakable," then we embrace it, and we'll expect him to be the best cheerleader we have for 4 years, as well as a model citizen and a aspiring student.
That's Ollie's way. That's our way.

C

Chief00

Ollie is a class coach.
We're a class program.
When we make you an offer, we don't retract it without significant off-the-court cause.
When you accept our offer, we expect you'll honor it, and you're a Husky from that day forward.
This kid's a Husky. Period. I don't care if he plays 1 game. If he comes here, works his hardest, gets repeatedly injured, and ends up doing his best impression of Samuel L. Jackson in "Unbreakable," then we embrace it, and we'll expect him to be the best cheerleader we have for 4 years, as well as a model citizen and a aspiring student.
That's Ollie's way. That's our way.

It's that why because you say so - I guess. Good luck.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
For sure. I was just pointing out that, in the moment, it's possible to tear your ACL (complete tear, even) and not realize you've done it. Not every single one ends with the person crumpled on the ground in a sobbing heap.

I tore my acl,knew the day I did it I hurt my knee very bad,I work 60 to 75 hour weeks on my feet,climbing ladders at that time,and never knew my acl was torn the entire time,my knee just hurt after a long week or with Rainey weather,had repaired and I'm at it like it never happened.

Ps,it was 10 years ago

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
We're a college team, not an NBA team.
I was just making a point that it's just a bad sign if the kid is getting injured this early in his career.
Otherwise, thank you, Captain.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I was just making a point that it's just a bad sign if the kid is getting injured this early in his career.
Otherwise, thank you, Captain.
Is it really? Who is an example, in the last 15 years, of a high school kid whose career was ruined by an ACL tear?

Reaction Score
2 knee injuries in 2 years. I'd also add the kid is sorta frail in the lower body. Im not a DR, but I'm not really surprised he's having knees issues.

Reaction Score
I think KO should use this with recruits. Tell them we are a family and we are sticking by Durham. Also, you may get more playing time. Durham may be sitting out or red shirting...it may work.

Reaction Score
This post has so much stupid in it I don't even know where to begin.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think KO should use this with recruits. Tell them we are a family and we are sticking by Durham. Also, you may get more playing time. Durham may be sitting out or red shirting...it may work.

The Machiavellian angle of acting humanely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom