Petrino FIRED!!!!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Petrino FIRED!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I bet RU fans are licking their chops in anticipation of playing Arkansas next fall!

Reaction Score
You wouldn't take 1 or potentially 2 great years of Petrino, than to be stuck with Coach P indefinitely?

i'll take the guy that wants to build a program over the guy that wants to fluff up his resume anyday. having Petrino doesn't guarantee anything offensively and P has had a lot of success in his own right

Reaction Score
Because you think Petrino is a dirt bag?

I don't see the downside from a football standpoint.

you might want to look at how his teams have faired the few years after he left if you don't see a down side

pj

Reaction Score
I mean, ask yourself - who's more likely to reel off a 10-2, or 11-1 season at UConn - Petrino or P?

Coach P, easily. I think people forget the success he had at Syracuse. He's a better coach than Petrino, a better man, very likely a better recruiter, especially with the baggage Petrino is acquiring.

Reaction Score
I would venture to say that 'most' parents believe that the college coaches who have recruited their sons and daughters are responsible enough to help look after, set an example for, and emulate the type of behavior that will help their children to know and see what it means to be good students and citizens. Isn't that why so many people were p.o.ed when FHCRE left? Most thought of him as the type of person who would do the right thing, but believed his actions belied something totally opposite by leaving UConn the way he did. Yes coaches have failings, but they have to know they are held to a higher standard, just as their players are. But there is always a price to pay when someone doesn't live up to those standards. And unfortunately for Ex-HC Petrino, he is paying the price for his mistakes.

But he is definitely not a good fit for UConn.

For those that think otherwise, let me add this. Some people think HCPP isn’t at the same level as the Ex-HC Petrino. I don't know exactly the criterion some are using to make that judgement, but I do this. As far as the type of person UConn should have leading it's football program, I don’t ever recall having had to read anything in the negative about the moral turpitude of HCPP. And to me, that is more important than a win-loss record.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Some team is going to get him on the cheap and turn the program around. He can flat out coach offense.

As a society we really really need to start caring less about what these guys do in their personal lives, athletes, coaches, celebrities alike. The fact is you cannot argue with what the guy does on the field. He didn't break any laws. Let him do his job. Is it scummy to cheat on your wife? yeah. Do a lot of people do that? Yeah. Does everyone that cheats on their wife get fired? No. It's not the first time it will happen and it's not the last time it will happen. If you're paying him to coach and win football games you can't really argue with his results. So let the guy coach.

If you want to live in a world where you think all public figures who are incredibly successful and rich are really awesome people deep down inside I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. If you want to be a realist and understand to just take things for what they are then enjoy 10-2 seasons, awesome recruiting classes, and an elite football program. That's the reason you hired him.

I don't think you understand the extent of what he did, and the danger it put the University of Arkansas in. He was fired for a lot more than just cheating on his wife. Petrino is a scumbag on the field and off it. If he lies about his mistress, what do you think he'll do when the compliance office questions him? I wouldn't want that guy within 100 miles of UConn's program.

Reaction Score
I don't think you understand the extent of what he did, and the danger it put the University of Arkansas in. He was fired for a lot more than just cheating on his wife. Petrino is a scumbag on the field and off it. If he lies about his mistress, what do you think he'll do when the compliance office questions him? I wouldn't want that guy within 100 miles of UConn's program.
Sure.. I say 10, you say 100. Does that mean you're 10 times more moral than me? :)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So, as long as we don't hire Kragthroppe after we win an Orange Bowl we should be good..right?!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Courtesy of Barstool Sports...

woo-pig1.jpg

Reaction Score
Some team is going to get him on the cheap and turn the program around. He can flat out coach offense.

As a society we really really need to start caring less about what these guys do in their personal lives, athletes, coaches, celebrities alike. The fact is you cannot argue with what the guy does on the field. He didn't break any laws. Let him do his job. Is it scummy to cheat on your wife? yeah. Do a lot of people do that? Yeah. Does everyone that cheats on their wife get fired? No. It's not the first time it will happen and it's not the last time it will happen. If you're paying him to coach and win football games you can't really argue with his results. So let the guy coach.

If you want to live in a world where you think all public figures who are incredibly successful and rich are really awesome people deep down inside I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. If you want to be a realist and understand to just take things for what they are then enjoy 10-2 seasons, awesome recruiting classes, and an elite football program. That's the reason you hired him.

He hired an unqualified woman he was having an affair with to the football staff. There were 159 applicants, he conducted 3 interviews, and then hired the 25 year old he was banging. That is what doomed him. Their AD said that the improper relationship alone was not the reason he was fired.

Reaction Score
No big deal but found it interesting that former QB Ryan Mallett now with Patriots tweeted that the Hogs should hire only one guy if they want to win--former asst coach-Garrick McGee. He was a candidate here and some on this board touted him for the Huskies then. Mallett also says Gus Malzahn would be a big mistake. Who knows.

Reaction Score

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 14, 2012, 7:39 AM EDT
petrino.jpg
Getty Images
When Bobby Petrino walked out on the Falcons to coach Arkansas in 2007, he did so in a fashion that had his players feeling betrayed. It turns out that the circumstances that led to his departure from Arkansas this week involved betraying one of the players on that Falcons team as well.

Petrino was fired because, among other things, he hired a woman he had an affair with, Jessica Dorrell, for the position of player development coordinator for the Arkansas football program. Dorrell was fast-tracked for the job and was the first person interviewed even though she wasn’t qualified for it, and she ultimately was chosen over the second person interviewed: Ben Wilkerson, who played for Petrino on the Falcons in 2007. It’s now clear that Wilkerson’s interview was a sham designed to hide the fact that Petrino’s sole objective in the hiring process was to get his mistress a job.
Sports Illustrated has detailed the bogus job search that Arkansas conducted prior to hiring Dorrell, and there’s no way to look at it and not conclude that Petrino wasted Wilkerson’s time with an interview because he wanted to make it look like Arkansas was considering other applicants. Wilkerson was obviously more qualified than Dorrell for the job, but Wilkerson didn’t have the advantage of sleeping with Petrino.
One of the “minimum qualifications” for the player development coordinator position was “two years of prior experience within a football program.” Dorrell had no experience within a football program at all. Wilkerson was a four-year starter at LSU, a first-team All-American on a team that won the national championship, and an NFL player who went back to LSU and worked with the football program after his playing career ended. Another qualification listed for the position was “master’s degree in related field.” Dorrell does not have a master’s degree; Wilkerson has a master’s degree in sports management from LSU.
Wilkerson wasn’t the only applicant who got passed over; 159 people applied for the job and the Sports Illustrated investigation found that many were obviously more qualified than Dorrell. The third person Arkansas claimed was a finalist for the job that Dorrell was going to get all along, a woman named Tiffany Fields, was significantly more qualified than Dorrell as well. Fields has two master’s degrees from Arkansas and has previously worked for the football program as a tutor, and she has also helped Arkansas organize summer football camps, which is one of the player development coordinator’s duties.
After Wilkerson was passed over at Arkansas he accepted a job as Grambling’s offensive line coach, and he said this week that he doesn’t want to talk about the experience of interviewing at Arkansas.
“I’m ready to just go on,” he said. “Of course I interviewed for the position, but I’d rather not discuss it because of the whole thing . . . I’m starting a new job now and that’s my focal point.”
When Petrino left the Falcons, he was described by others in the locker room as “classless” and “a gutless bastard.” Wilkerson is taking the high road publicly, but privately he could be forgiven if he has even stronger words than that for Petrino.

Reaction Score
He wanted to create his own little fiefdom. Genius football coach and offensive coordinator. But otherwise, what an idiot.

Reaction Score

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 14, 2012, 7:39 AM EDT
petrino.jpg
Getty Images
When Bobby Petrino walked out on the Falcons to coach Arkansas in 2007, he did so in a fashion that had his players feeling betrayed. It turns out that the circumstances that led to his departure from Arkansas this week involved betraying one of the players on that Falcons team as well.

Petrino was fired because, among other things, he hired a woman he had an affair with, Jessica Dorrell, for the position of player development coordinator for the Arkansas football program. Dorrell was fast-tracked for the job and was the first person interviewed even though she wasn’t qualified for it, and she ultimately was chosen over the second person interviewed: Ben Wilkerson, who played for Petrino on the Falcons in 2007. It’s now clear that Wilkerson’s interview was a sham designed to hide the fact that Petrino’s sole objective in the hiring process was to get his mistress a job.
Sports Illustrated has detailed the bogus job search that Arkansas conducted prior to hiring Dorrell, and there’s no way to look at it and not conclude that Petrino wasted Wilkerson’s time with an interview because he wanted to make it look like Arkansas was considering other applicants. Wilkerson was obviously more qualified than Dorrell for the job, but Wilkerson didn’t have the advantage of sleeping with Petrino.
One of the “minimum qualifications” for the player development coordinator position was “two years of prior experience within a football program.” Dorrell had no experience within a football program at all. Wilkerson was a four-year starter at LSU, a first-team All-American on a team that won the national championship, and an NFL player who went back to LSU and worked with the football program after his playing career ended. Another qualification listed for the position was “master’s degree in related field.” Dorrell does not have a master’s degree; Wilkerson has a master’s degree in sports management from LSU.
Wilkerson wasn’t the only applicant who got passed over; 159 people applied for the job and the Sports Illustrated investigation found that many were obviously more qualified than Dorrell. The third person Arkansas claimed was a finalist for the job that Dorrell was going to get all along, a woman named Tiffany Fields, was significantly more qualified than Dorrell as well. Fields has two master’s degrees from Arkansas and has previously worked for the football program as a tutor, and she has also helped Arkansas organize summer football camps, which is one of the player development coordinator’s duties.
After Wilkerson was passed over at Arkansas he accepted a job as Grambling’s offensive line coach, and he said this week that he doesn’t want to talk about the experience of interviewing at Arkansas.
“I’m ready to just go on,” he said. “Of course I interviewed for the position, but I’d rather not discuss it because of the whole thing . . . I’m starting a new job now and that’s my focal point.”
When Petrino left the Falcons, he was described by others in the locker room as “classless” and “a gutless bastard.” Wilkerson is taking the high road publicly, but privately he could be forgiven if he has even stronger words than that for Petrino.

Very telling quote from Warrick Dunn under the word "classless", looks like he will have to coach at a lower level school if he still wants to be a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom