Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of the reasons UConn is not in a P5 is our perceived lack of options.
I'm not saying that UConn talk to any p5 conference is causing panic but it. somewhat counters that narrative.

Reaction Score
Dude you obviously know nothing about CR. Unless a school's AD and President are in the same city as a member school these deals can't get done.

And they can't fly either. They need to road trip down in Susan's 2003 Jetta.

It's the only way.

After years of research I have confirmed that the infamous secret location for the Big Ten's negotiations with Nebraska took place here:

800px-Owhango's_Love_Shack[1].JPG

Reaction Score
MASSconn said:
I like how some of you are optimistic. UCONN makes zero sense geographically. Zero. BYU does. Especially if they took Colorado State. BYU and Houston are most logical. Uconn will only be in ACC/B1G

Houston makes ZERO sense for the Big 12. There are already FOUR Texas schools in the league. If they are truly looking to grow and appeal to TV then it certainly won't be Houston.

Reaction Score
Houston makes ZERO sense for the Big 12. There are already FOUR Texas schools in the league. If they are truly looking to grow and appeal to TV then it certainly won't be Houston.

This 100%.

I have a very difficult Time believing that Texas is ok with adding another school from the state. In recent years The Longhorns have been losing ground in recruiting and popularity not only to A&M, but to TCU and Baylor. Sure it doesn't help that those latter two schools are experiencing their best seasons ever at a time when UT is at their lowest, but it has to be a cause for concern in Austin.

Now you want to tell me that UT will be on board with adding a Fifth school from Texas who is coming off of a 12-1 campaign where they were nationally ranked and played in the Fiesta Bowl?

And for what "Texas Politics?"

I call BS on this.

Houston may get into the Big 12 but I can't see how they do so with UT's support.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons UConn is not in a P5 is our perceived lack of options.
I'm not saying that UConn talk to any p5 conference is causing panic but it. somewhat counters that narrative.

How great would it be if the Big 12 gets a network with UConn and Swofford is left holding his ass.

Reaction Score
How great would it be if the Big 12 gets a network with UConn and Swofford is left holding his ass.
Then we could, to quote Kanye West, "lets have a toast for the jerkoff, that will never take work off!"

Don't know why but that's what came to mind when I read your post.

Reaction Score
I like how some of you are optimistic. UCONN makes zero sense geographically. Zero.

BYU does. Especially if they took Colorado State. BYU and Houston are most logical.

Uconn will only be in ACC/B1G
Love these blanket statements based on nothing...
The world is flat dammit!

Reaction Score
Everytime I read one of those, I believe its because some have convinced themselves that a B1G invite is coming and that UConn would be selling itself short by going to the Big 12.

Big 12 expansion may be the last life rafts for a long time.
Thinking that realignment will remain static for a long time is as crazy as believing that a B1g invite is imminent. Chose either side of crazy. I prefer the latter.

Reaction Score
The idea that there will be no more realignment is ridiculous in my opinion. Something will occur that will create a need for UConn and the captive audience it delivers. It is worth an awful lot of money and it is just a matter of time before our services are needed. You can't disregard the market size, the tv product and state backing. It is just too valuable to go unused.

Honestly, my biggest fear in all of this is that ESPN is so set on keeping the AAC on the edge of relevance so they have compelling and inexpensive programming, that they will not support the addition of UConn to a P5. Without UConn, the AAC will drop a very valuable notch in stature. Right now, AAC schools are making meaningful dollars off their games with both UConn basketball teams and they get good exposure by playing UConn on ESPN. If we leave, all of that disappears and suddenly there is no compelling product other than a few football games when SMU or ECU etc. has a good year.

Reaction Score
Thinking that realignment will remain static for a long time is as crazy as believing that a B1g invite is imminent. Chose either side of crazy. I prefer the latter.
Just remember, we're going on 4 years since Louisville got the ACC bid. November 2012 no?

How long till the next bids after this one? Can we keep our athletic spending up at P5 levels, with G5 money? Eventually this will catch up.

Reaction Score
Just remember, we're going on 4 years since Louisville got the ACC bid. November 2012 no?

How long till the next bids after this one? Can we keep our athletic spending up at P5 levels, with G5 money? Eventually this will catch up.
A l ot has changed since then. A lot will change in the next few years. Nothing permanent will occur without UConn involved. Adding Memphis and Houston to the Big12 will do nothing for that conference, UConn, or realignement long term. All it would do is give them a football championship game.

Reactions: jho
Reaction Score
A l ot has changed since then. A lot will change in the next few years. Nothing permanent will occur without UConn involved. Adding Memphis and Houston to the Big12 will do nothing for that conference, UConn, or realignement long term. All it would do is give them a football championship game.
Swofford was probably told at the Bohemian Grove to take Louisville instead of UConn. :p

Reaction Score
What has changed since then? Chatter on twitter?

If anything you are seeing cord cutting cut into the profits of the likes of espn. We could be seeing the last stages of people getting into the "club". The cable money could be drying up. I don't understand this idea that nothing will happen without uconn. Everything has happened without uconn to date.

People have been waiting for Jesus to return for over 2000 years now. I'd give my left nut for Big 12 invite right now.

Reaction Score
What has changed since then? Chatter on twitter?

If anything you are seeing cord cutting cut into the profits of the likes of espn. We could be seeing the last stages of people getting into the "club". The cable money could be drying up. I don't understand this idea that nothing will happen without uconn. Everything has happened without uconn to date.

People have been waiting for Jesus to return for over 2000 years now. I'd give my left nut for Big 12 invite right now.
Would you give Jesus your left and right nut if he knocked on your door and told you we are going to the B1G?

Reaction Score
When you are drowning, take the first life raft that comes. You don't have the luxury of waiting for a yacht to pick you up.
You absolutely accept the B12, work towards building a winning football team in that conference, and keep working towards AAU.

The B1G, SEC, and P12 are the only three conferences a school can feel safe in. You take an invite to another conference with the eye to appealing to those conferences (in our case the B1G).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If our administration hasn't or isn't currently selling our value and brand to the B12, then we need a new administration. B12 expansion might just be the last life raft tossed out for the next 10 years. In an ideal world, we fit in better with the B1G or ACC. Absolutely. But in this world, we do not fit in with G5 schools making $1M/yr. Our value is 30x that amount, if not more.

So if the B12 is holding open tryouts, I'm sure Susan and Warde have both purchased a pair of cowboy boots.

Reaction Score
If our administration hasn't or isn't currently selling our value and brand to the B12, then we need a new administration. B12 expansion might just be the last life raft tossed out for the next 10 years. In an ideal world, we fit in better with the B1G or ACC. Absolutely. But in this world, we do not fit in with G5 schools making $1M/yr. Our value is 30x that amount, if not more.

So if the B12 is holding open tryouts, I'm sure Susan and Warde have both purchased a pair of cowboy boots.

I agree. If Warde and Susan are not in Texas, they should be fired. Hook em horns should be their theme of the visit!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Man, I hope momentum builds for UConn to the B12. It makes so much sense because of the NY and NE market share we would bring. I would not be opposed to a home game or two at Yankee Stadium per year. It would force the B1G and the ACC to finally make a decision on us, both of which are far better fits than the Big 12.

Reaction Score
In my humble and mildly persuaded opinion, I think if the B12 were to expand, they need to pick the next best 6 and get to 16. Take the best options away from the ACC and even B1G and beat the ACC to a conference network. Put pressure on the ACC (it's really a race between the B12 and ACC for P4 survival) and if taking away the best eastern options from them forces an eventual collapse, the B12 can add a few schools (Louisville? Miami? NC State? Pitt for Backyard Brawl?) to get to 20 when it does.

Hypothetically, let's say that the B12 added for 2017:

UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, UCF, USF, and Memphis.

B12N angle: UConn brings northeast NYC and Hartford markets for B12N. Temple brings Philly. UCF and USF together are top 15 markets. Memphis brings FedEx dollars and good football/hoops combo. Cincinnati is not a terrible market.

Football: Memphis gives access to TN / Mid-Atlantic recruiting. UCF and USF double down gives twice as exposure into FL recruiting. PA and OH are added for football recruiting. UConn is the weakest add of the group but we more than make up for it elsewhere...all we have to do is remain competitive in football over the years.

Hoops: we obviously bring elite hoops that opens the door into MSG/NYC games. We give Kansas a game each and every year, not to mention bring the biggest name to year-round content. Temple and Cinci hoops are solid and good for fairly regular NCAAT appearances and success. UCF and USF are hot garbage but they are football recruiting and market additions. Memphis is a solid hoops add, even if Squid isn't cheating for them.

Academics: UConn tops the list at #57 followed by a slew of schools all in the 100s, but sport large enrollment numbers and would satisfy the football starved conference members.

Potential Division Alignment:

East - UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, WVU, USF, UCF, Memphis, Iowa State
West - Texas, OU, OSU, TT, KU, KSU, Baylor, TCU

All natural B12 rivalries preserved in the West. Conference Championship Game in JerryWorld every year. Conference hoops tourney rotates between Kansas City (where it is now), NYC, and Dallas.

Then sit back and wait for ACC to fold in 2020-whatever and pick off some of the aftermath. Maybe bring in Houston and/or BYU to supplement an addition of 2 or 3.

If there aren't enough slashes, here you go...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

East - UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, WVU, USF, UCF, Memphis, Iowa State

That's almost AAC level of boring.

edit: for hoops.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Financially, it makes sense for the Big 12 to go 12. All schools in the conference would make the same amount of money even if the conference grows by 2 schools, and a championship game is worth $20 million extra. Obviously, BYU and us are the two biggest brand names left on the board, but the Big 12 doesn't want to go to 3 time zones, and BYU is very complicated. Cincinatti would be our partner as the Big 12 already had talks with them last year about future expansion. Houston will not get in as nobody in the conference wants an extra Texas team, and Memphis reportedly is trying to bribe the conference with $50 million. Also, Texas is against expansion, but if they get smart and change their mind, they like us more than anybody else as we are a state flagship with academics comparable to theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom