Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pete Thamel: Is the Big 12 Set for Major Expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Basically UT is in position to save or destroy the B-12. If they negotiate a out with ESPN and turn the lights out on the LHN which allows the B-12 and Fox to start a B-12 Network the B-12 stays together and is strong..even a partnership. They stay the course...OU is gone to the SEC.

Agreed here. If I'm Texas, I think adding an entire eastern division would be a good thing for them going forward and enough to give up LHN. People outside of Texas would get to see their games. Their recruiting footprint expands to cover 2/3 of the country...not just the few hundred TVs that get and watch LHN.

But like everyone has said, UT is in the same primadona class that ND is in. They like to hold the power and hold conferences hostage, much like ND did with the Big East and will do with the ACC. They probably won't give up the LHN just for this very reason alone, even if it bleeds millions of dollars a year.

Reaction Score
Would Fox signup for a B12n without Texas? Would it make sense? Could a compromise be worked out?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Any B12 network would be an ESPN property because the LHN exists and isn't going away so they can make a deal with Fox.

At minimum, ESPN would demand an equity stake equal to the value of the LHN content. In short, if you want Texas then you go through ESPN.

Otherwise a B12 network isn't happening

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I like how some of you are optimistic. UCONN makes zero sense geographically. Zero.

BYU does. Especially if they took Colorado State. BYU and Houston are most logical.

Uconn will only be in ACC/B1G

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
No way...it won't fly without UT in the fold.
From the other thread, it sounds like the LHN will (finally) become (somewhat) profitable. In order for a B12N to work the commissioners would have to be able to tell Texas it would get off the ground faster than the LHN did and make them more money. And it would have to be worth it for Disney to rip up the contract and replace it with a B12 network. Maybe they could use the studios and stuff they built and phase it over.

Reaction Score
Any B12 network would be an ESPN property because the LHN exists and isn't going away so they can make a deal with Fox.

At minimum, ESPN would demand an equity stake equal to the value of the LHN content. In short, if you want Texas then you go through ESPN.

Otherwise a B12 network isn't happening
The only way a B-12 Network gets off the ground is if UT and ESPN agree to terms and the LHN ceases to exist. Unless that happens there will be no B-12 Network.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I like how some of you are optimistic. UCONN makes zero sense geographically. Zero.

BYU does. Especially if they took Colorado State. BYU and Houston are most logical.

BYU is still pretty far away and in another time zone, but yes, UConn makes zero sense geographically. Unless the B12 goes full derp and adds several eastern schools.

Reaction Score

Not optimistic...just talking about what has been mentioned by Thamel and Tramel. And outside of Temple and Navy the AAC is no geographical bargain either.

Reaction Score
No one answered my question. Are Warde and Susan in New York or do they see an opening and hopped on a flight to Texas to do their jobs?

Reaction Score
No one answered my question. Are Warde and Susan in New York or do they see an opening and hopped on a flight to Texas to do their jobs?
I would hope that unless they have already got the nod from Delaney they are in contact with the B-12 and stating their case. To me this is a Susan show/production...Warde is along for the ride

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
You really think UConn has not already spoken with a Big 12 officials and an invite hinges on Warde and Susan being in Texas tomorrow night? They have been in talks for well over a year - at least. Thet have been developing relationships and not just with the 12. Bottom line is if we fill a conference's need, geography or not, they will expand with us.

Reaction Score
LMAO gotta love this crowd already grabbing the pitchforks and lighting the torches.

Not really. I support both. While I realize expansion is not imminent, my point is we are in a desperate position. When you are unemployed, network, network , network. While Jurich knew the ACC was expanding he didn't say it's UConn to the ACC. We can't sit there and say geographically we don't fit, culturally we don't fit, etc. We shoot for this well paying job and hope by the time we sign on our dream offer comes through

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You really think UConn has not already spoken with a Big 12 officials and an invite hinges on Warde and Susan being in Texas tomorrow night? They have been in talks for well over a year - at least. Thet have been developing relationships and not just with the 12. Bottom line is if we fill a conference's need, geography or not, they will expand with us.

Dude you obviously know nothing about CR. Unless a school's AD and President are in the same city as a member school these deals can't get done.

And they can't fly either. They need to road trip down in Susan's 2003 Jetta.

It's the only way.

Reaction Score

Sounds like our ACC game plan

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Dude you obviously know nothing about CR. Unless a school's AD and President are in the same city as a member school these deals can't get done.

And they can't fly either. They need to road trip down in Susan's 2003 Jetta.

It's the only way.
Lol. Thank god for sarcasm.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Not really. I support both. While I realize expansion is not imminent, my point is we are in a desperate position. When you are unemployed, network, network , network. While Jurich knew the ACC was expanding he didn't say it's UConn to the ACC. We can't sit there and say geographically we don't fit, culturally we don't fit, etc. We shoot for this well paying job and hope by the time we sign on our dream offer comes through
"We" can talk about UConn not fitting (or about Diaco's play calling or Brimah's injury or Geno's sarcasm or Star Wars or which pizza is best) because "we" are just random people on the internet not getting paid to run universities. I've seen Herbst give her spiel to alumni and she is on point. Obviously she'd rather have UConn in the ACC or B1G than the B12, and in the B12 over the AAC.

Reaction Score

1300 miles to Connecticut from Lawrence, KS, and 1000 miles from Lawrence to Provo.

When we're talking long distances, is 300 more miles going to make a difference? We're talking plane rides now, not driving. No one is driving 1000 miles to Provo for a Kansas-BYU football game.

Plus, Provo is the mountain west time zone.

Reaction Score
Wow, I fell over when I read the bolded below. It's taken some years, but maybe some people around the country are slowly coming to the realization of just how valuable UConn is to a power conference and a conference network...

"That being said, I’ve also always acknowledged that any school with a great basketball fan base (i.e. UConn, Memphis, San Diego State, New Mexico, etc.) could do wonders for its conference realignment prospects if it could merely be competent in football. (I’d also say the same thing about quality academic schools in attractive locations, as well – see how much Tulane and Rice could be worth if they could string a few winning seasons together.)

Like I’ve said, the threshold question is whether the Big 12 wants to expand at all (as they are awaiting feedback on their proposal to the NCAA to allow for leagues with less than 12 schools to hold a conference championship game). At the same time, Memphis isn’t suddenly a no-brainer addition – there are plenty of open issues, particularly whether its academic reputation would satisfy Texas and if its football success this past year is sustainable. Looking at conference realignment in a vacuum, the two most valuable Group of 5 schools are arguably BYU and UConn, so who knows how the Big 12 views either of those schools. I’ll re-state my firm belief that BYU would be a fantastic fit for the Big 12 both on-the-field and financially, but acknowledge that it’s the most unpredictable school that I’ve seen over the past few years of conference realignment both in terms of its own actions and how the rest of the Big 12 perceives the school. If the Big 12 expands and BYU is somehow passed over, then it would be a clear inverse of the Michael Corleone credo: “It’s not business, it’s just personal”. UConn is in a tough spot because it’s not a very good fit at all for the Big 12 culturally or geographically, yet it still needs to push hard for a place in that league since it doesn’t have any other power conference options forthcoming in the near future. It’s all an interesting set of circumstances right now. The last couple of spots in the Big 12 might be the final power conference additions that the college sports world will see in this generation, so the stakes are massive for those schools that have a viable chance."

He wrote that almost 2 years ago.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
1300 miles to Connecticut from Lawrence, KS, and 1000 miles from Lawrence to Provo. When we're talking long distances, is 300 more miles going to make a difference? We're talking plane rides now, not driving. No one is driving 1000 miles to Provo for a Kansas-BYU football game. Plus, Provo is the mountain west time zone.

Bingo. UConn is finally getting the fair assessment it deserves. Now it is the job of the university to control the narrative and media message. Pointing out little tidbits like the one above is necessary to create media momentum. Awareness of our market size, NYC reach and the value of women's basketball in creating a third revenue generating sport for the conference is critical. We offer tons of programming too. We need to attack and put ourselves in the top spot regarding public perception. Tweet out one killer fact after another so these media guys all get educated.

Reaction Score
The visiting teams probably aren't selling many tickets....Ticket allotments are often returned for these distance games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom