2024 Recruiting: - Patrick Ngongba OV | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Patrick Ngongba OV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why the lack of love for Abraham? Get Abraham in first and then keep working on Ngongba. They're both great recruits.
They can be there 4 deep. If Abraham commits here, then we have his cousin. I know I know…they are not a guaranteed package deal. But they appear to be very close family members and have taken visits together. I will put up a family commitment above 4 deep coaching interest.

Reaction Score
Why the lack of love for Abraham?

I know we've been over this ad nauseam on here... but he's just not very good compared to his peers with similar rankings. In 21 games this summer, he's shot something like 18% from three, and averages less than half an assist per game. Can't really handle the ball and is basically limited to standing in the corner on offense. Really good defender and solid athlete, but you've gotta be more than an energy/locker room guy if you expect to play big minutes on a top-10 team. He's overrated because he plays high school for Paul VI and because he developed early.

I'm fine recruiting him as a bench piece in a big class if he has a great mentality that will help the team, but as of right now, he's a whole lot closer to freshman Richie Springs than he is to freshman Alex Karaban. I'm not going to shy away from that just because his cousin is a 5* player, or if he commits here.

Reaction Score
Why the lack of love for Abraham? Get Abraham in first and then keep working on Ngongba. They're both great recruits.
For a lot of people it seems like the dating or flirtation process. They want the hot 8 or 9 that strings them along but is talking to several different guys. While there is a 7 that is a terrific catch right in front of them. Proverbial wife material. I want recruits that want to be here. I don’t want players that use us to soak up adulation, stroke their ego, and bump their NIL up. Give me the 4 star with a high ceiling who wants to be here and work. More often than not those are the players you win with.

Reaction Score
For a lot of people it seems like the dating or flirtation process. They want the hot 8 or 9 that strings them along but is talking to several different guys. While there is a 7 that is a terrific catch right in front of them. Proverbial wife material. I want recruits that want to be here. I don’t want players that use us to soak up adulation, stroke their ego, and bump their NIL up. Give me the 4 star with a high ceiling who wants to be here and work. More often than not those are the players you win with.
This is how I feel. I’d rather get very good players that love this program and want to be here versus trying to recruit mercenaries that will leave the first chance they get

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I’m just assuming Abraham is already a lock. Ngongba would be huge new info plus he’s more highly regarded. Also we have a bunch of recruiting options at Abraham’s position.

Reaction Score
This is how I feel. I’d rather get very good players that love this program and want to be here versus trying to recruit mercenaries that will leave the first chance they get
I think having a 5 star one and done type player on the roster can provide value in terms of getting over the hump and being the difference between being a sweet 16 team and a final four team. But every winning team needs a core group and a culture of veterans.

Reaction Score

To run with this metaphor... the 7 is still hot and can get the job done, so to speak. I haven't seen a game (of probably a dozen) where Abraham looks like a contributor on our team. He's a long-term project.

I hate to rag on the kid because he seems like a team-first guy that tries to do the little things to help his team win, but at a certain point you have to do something on offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps we as a fan base are becoming spoiled / have higher expectations as a byproduct of the program’s recent success. I for one am at a point I wasn’t even feeling during JC’s tenure: this staff is so dialed in and prepared, runs like a well oiled machine at a level that makes me beyond comfortable.

I no longer ride the emotional roller coaster re recruiting. I just sit back and watch because I truly believe that this staff can’t be outworked. Team Hurley knows exactly what it wants/needs for optimal roster construction and performance, and will leverage the national championship to recruit for ‘24 and ‘25. So enjoyable to watch.

Reaction Score
Perhaps we as a fan base are becoming spoiled / have higher expectations as a byproduct of the program’s recent success. I for one am at a point I wasn’t even feeling during JC’s tenure: this staff is so dialed in and prepared, runs like a well oiled machine at a level that makes me beyond comfortable.

I no longer ride the emotional roller coaster re recruiting. I just sit back and watch because I truly believe that this staff can’t be outworked. Team Hurley knows exactly what it wants/needs for optimal roster construction and performance, and will leverage the national championship to recruit for ‘24 and ‘25. So enjoyable to watch.
It’s hard to believe that Kimani, Luke, and Tom are still here. I’m not complaining. At all. I hope they’re here a long time.

Reaction Score
Tom is almost 60 and his kids are either done or close to done with college. Luke and Kimani are looking for HC jobs. Enjoy it while you can.
Wow didn’t know that. Tom looks great for nearly 60

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The Slater comment is weird cause it either means he’s wrapped up for KSU or they’re wasting their time. Pretty mushroom cap move to be so vague.

Reaction Score
The Slater comment is weird cause it either means he’s wrapped up for KSU or they’re wasting their time. Pretty mushroom cap move to be so vague.

He has perfected this as an art form. My initial takeaway was they are wasting their time. Sending a full staff is far from a guarantee. Didn’t we have a full staff watching Flagg?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I had to check in case I'm crazy. He turned 58 a few months ago.

He does look good for his age, but honestly I would've guessed he was a little older. He joined Calhoun's staff in 1994.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He has perfected this as an art form. My initial takeaway was they are wasting their time. Sending a full staff is far from a guarantee. Didn’t we have a full staff watching Flagg?
Think we’ve been sending 3. But yeah that’s my optimistic interpretation too. Fanta said on one broadcast it’s between us and duke anyways.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He does look good for his age, but honestly I would've guessed he was a little older. He joined Calhoun's staff in 1994.
He was a wonder kid when he joined.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
He was a wonder kid when he joined.

Awkward Nate GIF by Apple TV+
do you mean 'wunderkind?

Reaction Score

PATRICK NGONGBA, TEAM TAKEOVER

Patrick Ngongba has a tremendous combination of size, length, and offensive skill. He stands just shy of 7-feet with ultra-broad shoulders and a big frame that gives him a significant presence on both ends of the floor.

He has soft hands and touch, that now extends out to the three-point line, and an inside-out offensive skill-set. He can provide a true back-to-the-basket scorer in the post, has a high release point around the paint, and the passing ability to punish double teams. He’s showing a growing passing instinct from other spots on the floor as well and can even deliver balls with both hands at this point. His developing ability to make spot-up threes only adds to his repertoire. Overall, Ngongba is an exceptionally efficient offensive player (70% FG in the EYBL regular season), but one who is showing more signs of being able to anchor a half-court offense down the road.

There's more but I didn't want to copy and paste the entire write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom