Paige Bueckers, Efficiency Expert | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers, Efficiency Expert

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For 584 days UConn fans suffered, unable to watch one of the greatest players in WBB play an actual game for the Huskies. On November 8, 2023 when Paige Bueckers walked out on the court at the XL Center, most of us were just happy to see her back and healthy. I suppose we all hoped she could be the player she once was.

Fast forward to January of this year. I would argue that Paige is still kicking off some of the rust from not playing basketball for so long, but at the same time, Paige is playing with a level of efficiency that we’ve never seen from her before, or from practically any other player that I can think of. Opposing coaches are shaking their heads in disbelief. After Paige dropped 32 pts on Seton Hall, needing only 17 shots to do so, SH’s HC Tony Bozzella said, “Paige is understanding better and better that this is her team. She has to control the game and she did. That’s what makes her an All-American. She’s just so efficient. I know she was efficient as a freshman, but even more so.”

So how can we measure efficiency by the numbers. Paige’s A/TO ratio is currently 2.77, 18th in the country. She is shooting .565 from the floor which puts her 32nd in the country. But the 31 players ahead of her are all F/C’s who get most of their shots in the post. Paige is the top ranked guard by shooting percentage in the nation. From the arc, Paige is shooting .480 which places her 4th in the country.

While these numbers all speak to Paige’s remarkable efficiency, I would suggest that the truest measure is, as Tony Bozzella states, her ability to “control the game.” Through her leadership on and off the court, she has inspired similar efficiency in her teammates. As a team, UConn currently ranks 5th in A/TO ratio, 1st in FG% and 12th in 3pt%.

How far can remarkable efficiency carry a team relying heavily on 4 freshmen in the rotation, depleted by injuries, lacking depth or size? We’ll get a better answer to that question in the upcoming matchups with ND & SC. However this season ends up for the Huskies, we all need to step back and appreciate the remarkable performance we are seeing before our very eyes. Paige’s efficiency on the court and her leadership on and off the court is a remarkable testament to her ability and character.

Reaction Score
I agree with Oldude. Paige's efficiency is unparalleled in WCB today. Her numbers compare favorably with the best in UCONN history.
We just need Paige to understand that the best play for our team is her shooting three's, lots of them.

Reaction Score
We just need Paige to understand that the best play for our team is her shooting three's, lots of them.
I share the sentiment, but I disagree -- a little bit -- with the thought. I love it when Paige shoots the three. But I think her astounding 2-pt abilities may be more useful to the team. If she decides to score on a drive or a midrange jumper, she's pretty much unstoppable. And that sort of thing -- where she appears to score at will -- can be even more demoralizing to an opponent than a dagger dropped from afar. And having the proverbial "bucket-getter" as a teammate is very encouraging to the rest of the Huskies.

The DePaul game was vintage Paige. She built the big lead in the first half on 2-pt shooting mainly and then handed the game over to her freshmen. She's the teacher, the leader, Coach P, and she's doing a heckuva job teaching up these freshmen.

Reaction Score
So right. The DePaul game is exactly what we need from her. Build the big lead by half time and cruise with the bench to the finish. That gives them enough in the tank to go 30+ minutes in the Big games.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Efficient certainly describes Paige`s game, but at the same time it doesn`t really do her justice. I`m not sure that I can come up with a better word though. Along the same lines, there is a calmness to her game.

I had an opportunity to see her play from right up close on Saturday. She can be exuberant at times but overall she is Cool Hand Luke, silky smooth, unhurried, totally aware of what is going on, totally in control, no anxiety. She goes through warmups that way, she goes through the game that way.

She doesn`t appear to be going fast but she is always able to get to the rim.

Not afraid to make the unconventional play, not worried that it may not work. There was one play in particular that made my jaw drop. First half, she had the ball on the right side of the court about foul line extended. there were two DePaul players about even with her but closer to the lane. She reached her right arm forward and threw a perfect bounce pass around the two of them to a wide open UConn player around the foul line, I think it was Shade. Shot was missed, but even having the vision to see her much less get the ball to her was astounding to me.

Also fun watching her interact with the refs, especially when she doesn`t agree with the call. Not exuberant like Nika, just kind of chit-chatting, low key.

Reaction Score
For 584 days UConn fans suffered, unable to watch one of the greatest players in WBB play an actual game for the Huskies. On November 8, 2023 when Paige Bueckers walked out on the court at the XL Center, most of us were just happy to see her back and healthy. I suppose we all hoped she could be the player she once was.

Fast forward to January of this year. I would argue that Paige is still kicking off some of the rust from not playing basketball for so long, but at the same time, Paige is playing with a level of efficiency that we’ve never seen from her before, or from practically any other player that I can think of. Opposing coaches are shaking their heads in disbelief. After Paige dropped 32 pts on Seton Hall, needing only 17 shots to do so, SH’s HC Tony Bozzella said, “Paige is understanding better and better that this is her team. She has to control the game and she did. That’s what makes her an All-American. She’s just so efficient. I know she was efficient as a freshman, but even more so.”

So how can we measure efficiency by the numbers. Paige’s A/TO ratio is currently 2.77, 18th in the country. She is shooting .565 from the floor which puts her 32nd in the country. But the 31 players ahead of her are all F/C’s who get most of their shots in the post. Paige is the top ranked guard by shooting percentage in the nation. From the arc, Paige is shooting .480 which places her 4th in the country.

While these numbers all speak to Paige’s remarkable efficiency, I would suggest that the truest measure is, as Tony Bozzella states, her ability to “control the game.” Through her leadership on and off the court, she has inspired similar efficiency in her teammates. As a team, UConn currently ranks 5th in A/TO ratio, 1st in FG% and 12th in 3pt%.

How far can remarkable efficiency carry a team relying heavily on 4 freshmen in the rotation, depleted by injuries, lacking depth or size? We’ll get a better answer to that question in the upcoming matchups with ND & SC. However this season ends up for the Huskies, we all need to step back and appreciate the remarkable performance we are seeing before our very eyes. Paige’s efficiency on the court and her leadership on and off the court is a remarkable testament to her ability and character.
Great post. I wanted to follow up on Paige shaking off the rust from being out for so long. The first task a player faces coming back after a lengthy absence due to injury is learning to trust and have faith in their body again. The second is to shake off the accumulated rust in performing the skills they were long accustomed to. Literally, Paige was thrust into the fire with the difficulty of UConn's early non-conference schedule. She didn't have the luxury of easing back into form. Additionally, she was tasked with playing a new role, further complicated when Azzi & Caroline went down. All of a sudden, she was asked to play out of position, ride through the adversity of losing 3 early games, acclimating two freshmen into the starting lineup, while getting her sea legs under her.

Nationally, the media is enamored 24/7 with Caitlin Clark and understandably so. What Paige has accomplished so far is flying under the radar. Every opposing coach, when asked about Paige, most recently Doug Bruno, states when watching game film, Paige seems to improve with every outing. Oldude continually alludes to Paige's efficiency, which is remarkable. However, her greatest talent in my opinion is her ability to see things on the court differently & knowing when to assert herself or let others take the lead. Her willingness to share, encourage others to be assertive has played a role in the growth of both KK Arnold & Ashlynn Shade.

I feel Paige's game has developed by leaps and bounds this season due to her understanding and feel for controlling the game. While Caitlin Clark controls the game for Iowa, Paige takes a more subtle approach. In games where UConn is the prohibitive favorite, she barely takes 10 shots. When she scores 20 points or more, it's mostly against stiffer competition. In the game against Seton Hall, UConn seemed a bit shaky when Paige got injured. When she re-entered the game, she immediately took control and the outcome was determined.

While all UConn fans hoped for a return to form version of Paige, I believe the current version is superior, and will only get better. Her all around game is better, her court awareness & vision is second to none. Defensively, she's like a "hero" back in football, anticipating & positioning herself to make the right play.

It is a testament to how hard she worked in her recovery that she's playing at a NPOY level, which is simply amazing considering how much time she has missed the previous 2 seasons. While UConn is missing key pieces, the progress UConn has made since the beginning of the season has been a pleasant, enjoyable ride. As long as UConn has Paige at the helm, anything is possible.

Reaction Score
The biggest change is aggressively hunting for her shot at the beginning of the game, instead of waiting until it might be too late. That is why UConn is so dangerous right now, because nobody can stop her from scoring.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

OK, just a little walk down memory lane. I was born a lived in the Chicago metro area for 50 years. Watching many amazing college and pro players. The best bb player the goat M Jorden controlled the game like no other pro player I have ever seen. Paige is no Michael Jordon, however Paige controls the game in the same manner that Jordon did. Her game command is like no other WCBB player offensive and now defensively as well.
We watch Paige bring the ball up the court, is she going to slash to the hoop, post up and shoot, pop from the arc or make a pinpoint pass to an open player? We never know which, because she can do it all. There may be other players who can do one or two of these offensive feats, or maybe three of them, but no one combines all of them with the defensive skills that Paige provides. I understand that there are those that would debate that there are others who are better than Paige, I say bring it on, tell us who you think is better. She is the best I have seen at her level of competition. Yep I do agree 100% with oldude's post. If there is a debate over Paige being the best let it begin. If not nuff said.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Holy Grail of basketball is 50/40/90 for the season shooting percentage from the field/3pt/FT respectively. As of right now, Paige is coasting on the first 2, but only at .815 from the FT line. She probably has to make just about every FT for the rest of the season to get to 90%. As a freshman, Paige shot just under 87% during her consensus NPOY season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The Holy Grail of basketball is 50/40/90 for the season shooting percentage from the field/3pt/FT respectively. As of right now, Paige is coasting on the first 2, but only at .815 from the FT line. She probably has to make just about every FT for the rest of the season to get to 90%. As a freshman, Paige shot just under 87% during her consensus NPOY season.
Then the Holy Grail should be modified! :):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I share the sentiment, but I disagree -- a little bit -- with the thought. I love it when Paige shoots the three. But I think her astounding 2-pt abilities may be more useful to the team. If she decides to score on a drive or a midrange jumper, she's pretty much unstoppable. And that sort of thing -- where she appears to score at will -- can be even more demoralizing to an opponent than a dagger dropped from afar. And having the proverbial "bucket-getter" as a teammate is very encouraging to the rest of the Huskies.

The DePaul game was vintage Paige. She built the big lead in the first half on 2-pt shooting mainly and then handed the game over to her freshmen. She's the teacher, the leader, Coach P, and she's doing a heckuva job teaching up these freshmen.
A 48% 3 point shooter, is the math equivalent of a 72% 2 point shooter because of the extra point. If we are talking about point blank layups where she is 100% , then yes, thats better than threes. But overall, threes beat twos.

Reaction Score
threes beat twos.
Absolutely. But in context, Paige may be wiser to focus on 2s and leave the 3s to Nika Ash and Q for the reasons I mentioned above. I love watching Paige drop daggers and it can really matter for the hero of the team to hit a strategic 3 to deflate the confidence of an opposing team. But just relentlessly getting buckets -- over the last 4 games she's shooting 80% from 2 -- can have an even greater impact.

Reaction Score
I agree with Oldude. Paige's efficiency is unparalleled in WCB today. Her numbers compare favorably with the best in UCONN history.
The only shots she misses are threes. I would like to see more shots but I would prefer the ones that go in about 75% of the time. She absolutely should shoot the most shots every game though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, just a little walk down memory lane. I was born a lived in the Chicago metro area for 50 years. Watching many amazing college and pro players. The best bb player the goat M Jorden controlled the game like no other pro player I have ever seen. Paige is no Michael Jordon, however Paige controls the game in the same manner that Jordon did. Her game command is like no other WCBB player offensive and now defensively as well.
We watch Paige bring the ball up the court, is she going to slash to the hoop, post up and shoot, pop from the arc or make a pinpoint pass to an open player? We never know which, because she can do it all. There may be other players who can do one or two of these offensive feats, or maybe three of them, but no one combines all of them with the defensive skills that Paige provides. I understand that there are those that would debate that there are others who are better than Paige, I say bring it on, tell us who you think is better. She is the best I have seen at her level of competition. Yep I do agree 100% with oldude's post. If there is a debate over Paige being the best let it begin. If not nuff said.
I typically refrain from making comparisons between male and female basketball players. It’s not fair to either.

Reaction Score
The only shots she misses are threes. I would like to see more shots but I would prefer the ones that go in about 75% of the time. She absolutely should shoot the most shots every game though.
She scores 1.43 points for every three she takes, and 1.22 points for every two. More three's lol.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I often bring up the efficiency of Bueckers because of my preference for beautiful basketball, but the fact is she happens to be productive within the context of UConn’s system.

She is the only UConn player to have three 30 point games in a row, all against good competition. None of the “top three” did that. Her overall scoring average rivals M. Moore, the most productive player in UConn history. Her current average is about 3 points higher than Taurasi’s, a significant difference.

The latter comparison is significant. The most productive scorer in WNBA history had a scoring average in college that is rather pedestrian in the context of elite college scorers. That is because Taurasi played in UConn’s system. M. Moore might have eclipsed Taurasi if she stayed with the sport (I don’t think so, but certainly possible). Charles is also near the top in scoring productivity and Stewart is likely to be eventually as well.

At UConn productivity ain’t the thing and it’s in the pros that we get to see how productive these players really are in relation to their peers.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Page is 61.3% inside the arc.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
She scores 1.43 points for every three she takes, and 1.22 points for every two. More three's lol.
The team is averaging 87.27 points a game since Texas (not including Toronto). Average MOV is 30.89.

Since Aubrey went down, those numbers are 87.00 and a MOV of 37.

I don't think more scoring is needed.

Personally, all I want more game experience on the defense (especially for the bench), which they will be getting as the schedule advances.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Efficient certainly describes Paige`s game, but at the same time it doesn`t really do her justice. I`m not sure that I can come up with a better word though. Along the same lines, there is a calmness to her game.

I had an opportunity to see her play from right up close on Saturday. She can be exuberant at times but overall she is Cool Hand Luke, silky smooth, unhurried, totally aware of what is going on, totally in control, no anxiety. She goes through warmups that way, she goes through the game that way.

She doesn`t appear to be going fast but she is always able to get to the rim.

Not afraid to make the unconventional play, not worried that it may not work. There was one play in particular that made my jaw drop. First half, she had the ball on the right side of the court about foul line extended. there were two DePaul players about even with her but closer to the lane. She reached her right arm forward and threw a perfect bounce pass around the two of them to a wide open UConn player around the foul line, I think it was Shade. Shot was missed, but even having the vision to see her much less get the ball to her was astounding to me.

Also fun watching her interact with the refs, especially when she doesn`t agree with the call. Not exuberant like Nika, just kind of chit-chatting, low key.
I really enjoy your posts. Please keep 'em comin'.

Reaction Score

You and I have been seeing eye to eye on this all season. Nice post.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

According to the SNY announcers, Paige has been working on her FTs. I wonder if Azzi told her to step it up a notch? Noth Paige and Azzi know that she could/should be a 50/40/90 shooter.

Paige has shot 66-81 on FTs through the midpoint of the season. If she shoots 81-81 in the second half, she can get to about 91%. She can afford only a few misses, depending on how many shots she gets. I'd love to see her get on a hot streak!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
According to the SNY announcers, Paige has been working on her FTs. I wonder if Azzi told her to step it up a notch? Noth Paige and Azzi know that she could/should be a 50/40/90 shooter.

Paige has shot 66-81 on FTs through the midpoint of the season. If she shoots 81-81 in the second half, she can get to about 91%. She can afford only a few misses, depending on how many shots she gets. I'd love to see her get on a hot streak!
Coach P getting advice from Coach A on free throw shooting? :cool:

Reaction Score
Sometimes it can be hard to see the most obvious answer. If the points per shot is very good for both 2pt and 3pt shots then she should shoot more from both spots.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I know when you look at the advanced stat sites, Paige's efficiency is off the charts, but her usage rate (how often you try to make things happen), while high is not nearly as high as many far lesser players. That might be the main difference between her and Caitlin Clark for example.

Geno is constantly trying to get her to shoot more, and she probably should but it is not in her nature to do so. Obviously she is about as good as it gets, but could she be a little bit greater if she shot more, even if her efficiency dropped a little bit? I think so, and when the game is potentially in doubt she tends to do that anyway, but she should probably have that mindset all the time.

Having said that she is on a team that often says "everyone eats", she is after all a PG at heart, and I am hardly complaining when we have a player I don't think Geno or our fans would trade for anybody.

I am saying when in percentile terms a player is significantly higher in efficiency than usage, increasing the attempts might make sense, just like the opposite is true. If your usage rate is much higher than your efficiency you should usually look to be more selective on shot attempts. In Paige's scenario increasing both 2pt and 3pt attempts appears appropriate, it is not an either or situation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom