Paige Bueckers, Efficiency Expert | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige Bueckers, Efficiency Expert

Reaction Score
Great post. I wanted to follow up on Paige shaking off the rust from being out for so long. The first task a player faces coming back after a lengthy absence due to injury is learning to trust and have faith in their body again. The second is to shake off the accumulated rust in performing the skills they were long accustomed to. Literally, Paige was thrust into the fire with the difficulty of UConn's early non-conference schedule. She didn't have the luxury of easing back into form. Additionally, she was tasked with playing a new role, further complicated when Azzi & Caroline went down. All of a sudden, she was asked to play out of position, ride through the adversity of losing 3 early games, acclimating two freshmen into the starting lineup, while getting her sea legs under her.

Nationally, the media is enamored 24/7 with Caitlin Clark and understandably so. What Paige has accomplished so far is flying under the radar. Every opposing coach, when asked about Paige, most recently Doug Bruno, states when watching game film, Paige seems to improve with every outing. Oldude continually alludes to Paige's efficiency, which is remarkable. However, her greatest talent in my opinion is her ability to see things on the court differently & knowing when to assert herself or let others take the lead. Her willingness to share, encourage others to be assertive has played a role in the growth of both KK Arnold & Ashlynn Shade.

I feel Paige's game has developed by leaps and bounds this season due to her understanding and feel for controlling the game. While Caitlin Clark controls the game for Iowa, Paige takes a more subtle approach. In games where UConn is the prohibitive favorite, she barely takes 10 shots. When she scores 20 points or more, it's mostly against stiffer competition. In the game against Seton Hall, UConn seemed a bit shaky when Paige got injured. When she re-entered the game, she immediately took control and the outcome was determined.

While all UConn fans hoped for a return to form version of Paige, I believe the current version is superior, and will only get better. Her all around game is better, her court awareness & vision is second to none. Defensively, she's like a "hero" back in football, anticipating & positioning herself to make the right play.

It is a testament to how hard she worked in her recovery that she's playing at a NPOY level, which is simply amazing considering how much time she has missed the previous 2 seasons. While UConn is missing key pieces, the progress UConn has made since the beginning of the season has been a pleasant, enjoyable ride. As long as UConn has Paige at the helm, anything is possible.
Beautiful post to a future GOAT and a wonderful young woman. Watching Paige is like watching someone who brings life and vitality to women's basketball. It's like a pro playing with amateurs. She is truly one of a kind. God bless her - and her teammates who she loves.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
OK, just a little walk down memory lane. I was born a lived in the Chicago metro area for 50 years. Watching many amazing college and pro players. The best bb player the goat M Jorden controlled the game like no other pro player I have ever seen. Paige is no Michael Jordon, however Paige controls the game in the same manner that Jordon did. Her game command is like no other WCBB player offensive and now defensively as well.
We watch Paige bring the ball up the court, is she going to slash to the hoop, post up and shoot, pop from the arc or make a pinpoint pass to an open player? We never know which, because she can do it all. There may be other players who can do one or two of these offensive feats, or maybe three of them, but no one combines all of them with the defensive skills that Paige provides. I understand that there are those that would debate that there are others who are better than Paige, I say bring it on, tell us who you think is better. She is the best I have seen at her level of competition. Yep I do agree 100% with oldude's post. If there is a debate over Paige being the best let it begin. If not nuff said.
I typically refrain from making comparisons between male and female basketball players. It’s not fair to either.
Intent, not to compare Paige to M.J. in any way other than to say they both controll the game in their respective genders in the above-mentioned ways.

Reaction Score
Efficiency to be sure but precision also. Some people say they are surprised when she misses. I’ve grown to be surprised when she hits the rim! Watching her play live is pure pleasure for anyone who loves the game. It has often been said that the true measure of athletic greatness is the ability to elevate your teammates to levels they would not ordinarily achieve. DT did it, MJ did it, Paige is doing it now. Against Seton Hall when she went out, there was a different team on the floor. Geno even alluded to same in his post game interview. She won’t hit logo 3s but every game she will do several things so fundamentally sound, she brings a smile to your face.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom