PAC-12 Chaos | Page 20 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

Reaction Score
How many boxes? That still is the main issue to me. At least when I formerly had cable it was something like an additional $15/mo. per box with dvr capability.

With yytv I have it on 3 tvs don't have clunky boxes or wires taking up space in my house at additional charge.
No more boxes if you don't want them. It's just a TV/chrome/firestick/whatever app. I can log in on my PC and watch too.

Reaction Score
I was a big fan of You Tube TV now I'm just a fan. But they definitely remind me of a cable company. Since getting the service price has more than doubled. And since getting YTTV their sport coverage has declined. I was able to watch Red Sox, Bruins, Yankees, Mets, Nets, and UConn women's games. So the price has doubled and lost content I liked. Yep sounds a cable company to me.

Reaction Score
How many boxes? That still is the main issue to me. At least when I formerly had cable it was something like an additional $15/mo. per box with dvr capability.

With yytv I have it on 3 tvs don't have clunky boxes or wires taking up space in my house at additional charge.
At this point, if you have home internet, why do you still have a cable box?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No more boxes if you don't want them. It's just a TV/chrome/firestick/whatever app. I can log in on my PC and watch too.

Interesting - didn't realize that was an option. I'll have to check with the providers in my area to see if they have that too. I believe my cable would be either Verizon or Optimum.

At this point, if you have home internet, why do you still have a cable box?

I've had YouTube TV since like 2017 and when I got a log on to that I was paying for two boxes.

YouTube TV gave me every single UConn basketball and football game last season with the exception of the Central football game if memory serves. That along with the Giants is all I really care about these days.

Reaction Score
Cable TV won't completely disappear anytime soon ---- there are large swaths of rural America who do not have high speed internet access --- or any internet access at all. That will have to be resolved before cable completely disappears. The broadcast networks all have their own versions of online streaming and as long as those streaming services are easily accessible, they should do just fine in the streaming world.

Let's assume its the future and everything is 100% streaming. The top college brands will demand the highest pay from the streaming services and those brands are increasingly being consolidated into the SEC and B1G. So those two conferences will always have an advantage.

The lesser schools in those conferences serve their purposes. Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia.............they cannot compete for 12-0 seasons unless they have teams on their schedules like Indiana, Rutgers, Vanderbilt and Missouri. Those lesser teams serve their purpose to the P2. This will be even more important with further consolidation of the top brands to these two conferences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm getting cable for $59.99/mo right now that has everything besides CBSSN. I'll be adding CBSSN for $8 during football season and then removing it again. I never thought cable would be cheaper but they're doing everything they can to survive.
I'll have to take a look into it

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm getting cable for $59.99/mo right now that has everything besides CBSSN. I'll be adding CBSSN for $8 during football season and then removing it again. I never thought cable would be cheaper but they're doing everything they can to survive.

Who is your provider? I can only get Cox, nothing else in the service area and I'm at $300/mo for the all in TV package plus gig internet. It's insane and they won't back me down. I'm about to go to YTTV but I have a wife who doesn't understand how to use both remotes for apps & tv shows let alone that there won't be a cable box anymore.

Reaction Score
Let’s add a little more noise to the process:

So everyone finds a home except Oregon State and Washington State and UConn gets the shaft again. Rule # 1 cannot be beaten.

If Oregon State and Washington State start adding teams to their version of the PAC conference which will now be G5, or should I say G6. maybe we can get a football only invite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who is your provider? I can only get Cox, nothing else in the service area and I'm at $300/mo for the all in TV package plus gig internet. It's insane and they won't back me down. I'm about to go to YTTV but I have a wife who doesn't understand how to use both remotes for apps & tv shows let alone that there won't be a cable box anymore.
Spectrum. I was up to $245/mo, switched to YTTV, got a promo to bring my cable back to spectrum and now I get cable and half gig internet for $120 after taxes and fees. There is no gig internet available by me, unfortunately.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for the Fish of West Virginia to return.
I believe Fishy forgot the password to that account otherwise it would probably be turning out periodic funny content.

Reaction Score
The cable bundle may not be completely on the outs as there is some innovation going on out there.

Our housing development signed up for this:

$83/month for:
500 Mbps speed no data caps
Modem/Router
125+ channels
3 premium channels HBO/Showtime/Cinemax
On Demand
2 DVR cable boxes
Adds ons can be purchased direct like sports packages (already includes the ESPN stuff/SECN. BTN, ACCN, and FS1), other premium channels, higher internet speed,...
I think the price is locked in for 2 years with max price increases in the future of 5%.
You are on your own for wiring your house if you haven't already.

When the condo board announced the bulk deal, I thought the deal was too good to be true, but that is the deal. I am now paying a little extra for some sports channels.

I asked the provider how they could do the deal. They said we are getting a bulk rate, billing is semi annual in advance with one bill going to the association which is much cheaper for the provider (we get charged through our HOA fees), they won't wire your house so they avoid that cost, standardization of equipment and services, and they got all of the housing complex where before some had DISH, some didn't have cable/internet, and some were internet only. Approximately 88% of the complex had internet and 60% had cable previously. Some people wanted to opt out of the deal, but the deal was 100% of the complex or no deal and the board voted to add the expense to annual dues.

Reaction Score
Since the ACC GOR runs longer than the Big XII’s, you’d think the ACC would make a strong offer for the best of the Big XII (Kansas, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State) and open up new markets and come back to ESPN for contract rejiggering. It would be hundreds of millions cheaper just based on GOR length. But FSU is likely in a Joker mindset of burning a mountain of cash just to watch the world burn.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, value will ba rewarded...and value will be how many people watch your game.

Streaming only further solidifies that value statement.

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated article says that the B1G Presidents and Chancellors want to add all four - Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. While the media partners only want two - Washington and Oregon.

Maybe another media partner can enter the picture to pay for Stanford and Cal? Maybe they get a lesser deal than Washington and Oregon will get? I get that Stanford and Cal don't move the needle for ratings, but that research money and collaboration is hard to turn down.

A source familiar with the Big Ten thinking said the conference’s presidents are more interested in adding all four schools, while the league’s media partners are more interested in a two-member addition of Oregon and Washington. While one league source cautioned “nothing is there” in terms of an imminent move, a second source said “a real proposal is going to take shape fast” regarding Oregon and Washington.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, value will ba rewarded...and value will be how many people watch your game.

Streaming only further solidifies that value statement.

Hollywood has gone on strike because streaming companies are opaque and refuse to share their secret sauce. And as value changes in an instance, streamers have little reason to build anything consistent. It’s why you are will hardly ever see shows last more than 4 seasons on them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom