PAC-12 Chaos | Page 21 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ultimately, value will ba rewarded...and value will be how many people watch your game.

Streaming only further solidifies that value statement.
Maybe. But the value is tied to who you play. FSU vs Wake isn't as good as Auburn Ole Miss. We know from the days of independent deals that they aren't worth as much. The value comes from a known schedule against quality opponents that also have good fanbases.

In order for us to get where you expect it will go, some of the schools in the top conferences will need to be relegated out. It really should look like the Premier League. 36 top programs. 4 schools get bumped out every year, 4 get promoted in. Will they accept that? Not likely.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated article says that the B1G Presidents and Chancellors want to add all four - Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. While the media partners only want two - Washington and Oregon.

Maybe another media partner can enter the picture to pay for Stanford and Cal? Maybe they get a lesser deal than Washington and Oregon will get? I get that Stanford and Cal don't move the needle for ratings, but that research money and collaboration is hard to turn down.

A source familiar with the Big Ten thinking said the conference’s presidents are more interested in adding all four schools, while the league’s media partners are more interested in a two-member addition of Oregon and Washington. While one league source cautioned “nothing is there” in terms of an imminent move, a second source said “a real proposal is going to take shape fast” regarding Oregon and Washington.
This is why I didn't think the ACC would fall apart. There are quality programs, as good as any in the ACC at Football, who have no GOR issues. They also have the requisite AAU membership. The B1G is just more likely to go that way and never go past 20.

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated article says that the B1G Presidents and Chancellors want to add all four - Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. While the media partners only want two - Washington and Oregon.

Maybe another media partner can enter the picture to pay for Stanford and Cal? Maybe they get a lesser deal than Washington and Oregon will get? I get that Stanford and Cal don't move the needle for ratings, but that research money and collaboration is hard to turn down.

A source familiar with the Big Ten thinking said the conference’s presidents are more interested in adding all four schools, while the league’s media partners are more interested in a two-member addition of Oregon and Washington. While one league source cautioned “nothing is there” in terms of an imminent move, a second source said “a real proposal is going to take shape fast” regarding Oregon and Washington.

There is no research money and collaboration with the B10. That isn’t what the Big 10 Alliance does. Ohio State has important research partnership alliances, but they come outside of any direct B10 header. Midwest Regional Network is one, and it involves Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State, Dayton, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Case Western, etc.

Reaction Score
There is no research money and collaboration with the B10. That isn’t what the Big 10 Alliance does. Ohio State has important research partnership alliances, but they come outside of any direct B10 header. Midwest Regional Network is one, and it involves Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State, Dayton, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Case Western, etc.

They collaborate on virtually everything. They even have annual B1G conferences on various functionalities of a university, such as career services. They are a part of the B1G Cancer Consortium and other top research initiatives.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But the value is tied to who you play. FSU vs Wake isn't as good as Auburn Ole Miss. We know from the days of independent deals that they aren't worth as much. The value comes from a known schedule against quality opponents that also have good fanbases.

In order for us to get where you expect it will go, some of the schools in the top conferences will need to be relegated out. It really should look like the Premier League. 36 top programs. 4 schools get bumped out every year, 4 get promoted in. Will they accept that? Not likely.

People watch top teams....last season, 4 million watched Michigan-Indiana and it wasn't for the quality of the match up.

Almost 2 million watched Clemson murder Boston College...and 2.42 million watched FSU vs Wake Forest

Reaction Score
Yes, agree. No one is sharing research money unless there are collaborative research grant applications.

The great value in the CIC is not in sharing grants but rather in establishing benchmarks across the conference. Those are very difficult to do otherwise unless you have something like an academic/athletic conference (in this case the CIC) sharing internal numbers and processes. Colleges without such setups are forced to rely on external reviewers which are quite costly. It's very convenient to have land grant/flagship state universities handing over information about departmental funding in order to establish benchmarks at each university. Sounds like a small w/ regard to athletics (i.e. it's not make or break) but a pretty big thing inside universities, since the benchmarks are the things against which everything else is assessed.

Reaction Score
They collaborate on virtually everything. They even have annual B1G conferences on various functionalities of a university, such as career services. They are a part of the B1G Cancer Consortium and other top research initiatives.
Yes, all these things are great, BUT---they're not sharing research grant money which is what the prior post implied.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I believe Fishy forgot the password to that account otherwise it would probably be turning out periodic funny content.

I forgot the password to that and even to the email address I used for it

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I forgot the password to that and even to the email address I used for it
It's a shame because it was gold. The "soulful miner" was the best.

Reaction Score

The Big Cancer Consortium, like the B10 Alliance, is a sharing initiative (office supplies, specimen results). It isn’t a research-funding endeavor. No university is making handfuls of research money because of the B10. Case in point, Rutgers was 31st in NSF expenditures in 2014. They are now 45th.

Reaction Score
Lol!! I've been posting on this board/site for over a decade.....you think I'm a UCF fan?! Lol......how about UConn FootBall Fan as what my name is....
Yes I’m aware - was just attempting a corny dad joke.

Reaction Score
One thing the B1G has going for it is that - at least as of now - all members are like-minded institutions. Most are state flagships. All are top academic and research institutions with a large alumni base. That commonality will come in handy if membership numbers go to 20 or more, as it is harder to maintain a consensus on various topics with more voices at the table. Consensus appears to be important to the B1G.

I think a conference of 20 or more would be more difficult to manage in the ACC, where members don't always have a common background. It's more a hodgepodge mixture of academics first, sports first, private, and public non-flagships mixed together with 2 flagships where a few have large alumni bases, but most don't.

Reaction Score

That sort of thing is the breakaway scenario. I think for now the easiest form of relegation will be unequal revenue sharing which the ACC is starting to do. The top 2-3 teams in what's left of the power conferences will get paid double or triple everyone else in the conference. That's going to be the only fair way to keep the breadwinners happy.

Reaction Score
The cable bundle may not be completely on the outs as there is some innovation going on out there.

Our housing development signed up for this:

$83/month for:
500 Mbps speed no data caps
Modem/Router
125+ channels
3 premium channels HBO/Showtime/Cinemax
On Demand
2 DVR cable boxes
Adds ons can be purchased direct like sports packages (already includes the ESPN stuff/SECN. BTN, ACCN, and FS1), other premium channels, higher internet speed,...
I think the price is locked in for 2 years with max price increases in the future of 5%.
You are on your own for wiring your house if you haven't already.

When the condo board announced the bulk deal, I thought the deal was too good to be true, but that is the deal. I am now paying a little extra for some sports channels.

I asked the provider how they could do the deal. They said we are getting a bulk rate, billing is semi annual in advance with one bill going to the association which is much cheaper for the provider (we get charged through our HOA fees), they won't wire your house so they avoid that cost, standardization of equipment and services, and they got all of the housing complex where before some had DISH, some didn't have cable/internet, and some were internet only. Approximately 88% of the complex had internet and 60% had cable previously. Some people wanted to opt out of the deal, but the deal was 100% of the complex or no deal and the board voted to add the expense to annual dues.
Honestly, this doesnt sound that good to me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That sort of thing is the breakaway scenario. I think for now the easiest form of relegation will be unequal revenue sharing which the ACC is starting to do. The top 2-3 teams in what's left of the power conferences will get paid double or triple everyone else in the conference. That's going to be the only fair way to keep the breadwinners happy.
That's where this is fun. You read what @billybud said, they want more money based on "fan support" not based on performance. The ACC is doing it based on performance. So FSU is still upset. We've seen this throughout the process. UConn feels superior to UMass, Cinci, UCF and many other schools. The Pac schools felt superior to the Big XII schools and wouldn't merge. Well FSU feels superior to everyone in the ACC and probably half the SEC. Doesn't matter if they are, they think they are. Pay for performance still isn't enough when you think you are the prime attraction. I'm sure Rock Bands break up for this reason.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
People watch top teams....last season, 4 million watched Michigan-Indiana and it wasn't for the quality of the match up.

Almost 2 million watched Clemson murder Boston College...and 2.42 million watched FSU vs Wake Forest
And 2.3 million watched TCU vs Kansas. GameDay was in Lawrence "ESPN says it was the most watched pre-November GameDay show since 2010 and sixth-most watched episode since the show expanded in 2013." But you wouldn't consider Kansas a football draw, right? TCU was good but nobody confuses them with Michigan as a draw.

I won't begrudge that FSU has lots of fans. But any of these schools can have a lot of fans if they do the right things. UConn too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And 2.3 million watched TCU vs Kansas. GameDay was in Lawrence "ESPN says it was the most watched pre-November GameDay show since 2010 and sixth-most watched episode since the show expanded in 2013." But you wouldn't consider Kansas a football draw, right? TCU was good but nobody confuses them with Michigan as a draw.

I won't begrudge that FSU has lots of fans. But any of these schools can have a lot of fans if they do the right things. UConn too.
I am like 87% sure that the bulk of those fans were tuning in to watch TCU.

Reaction Score
I can’t even imagine cable. It’s been years now with YTTV and other streaming channels and there’s not a thing I miss of the awful Comcast customer service. I’m so much happier without it. I can’t believe people still overpay for that chit.

Reaction Score
Let’s say Zona, ASU and UConn to the big12z What would the 5 leftover PAC schools rather do, join the Mtn West or keep the PAC10 name and try to add 5 schools?

West Division:
Wazzu
OSU
Cal
Stanford
SDSU

East Division:
Boise
UNLV
Utah
SMU
Tulane

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I am like 87% sure that the bulk of those fans were tuning in to watch TCU.
On a day when GameDay was at KU for the first time? You're crazy. KU was ranked #18 and TCU #17. The KU QB was a Heisman candidate. He got hurt in the first quarter of that game and it was a blowout. Season went down hill from there.

KU is like UConn. If UConn was #18 and playing #17 TCU at home, with ESPN at the Rent, would people in CT tune in? I think so.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom