PAC-12 Chaos | Page 9 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with the ACC expanding, but who will pay for it? Will ESPN because they are the only company that can pay more. If they don’t, then the schools will be paid less further pushing FSU, Clemson and UNC to break the GOR.

ESPN is probably in a spending mood right now because the Big 10, which is not an ESPN league, is getting stronger with the Pac 12 collapse, and the Big 10 will be a superpower if it adds Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no one the ACC can add that adds enough media value to stop Florida State, Miami, Clemson, etc. from leaving the conference the first chance they get.

When does this guy get banned for trolling? Seriously, how long do we have to put up with him posting how screwed UConn is? He is laughing at us.

Reaction Score
When does this guy get banned for trolling? Seriously, how long do we have to put up with him posting how screwed UConn is? He is laughing at us.
He may be laughing. He’s also correct, there’s no realistic amount that ESPN can add to the ACC deal at this time that would keep the ACC’s top schools in the fold past 2036 GIVEN CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES. 2036 is also a very long time so who knows what things will look like by then.

Reaction Score
The ACC is holding a MasterClass in poor conference management. The Pac 12 is dissolving, and as ridiculous as this may have seemed 2 years, or even 2 months, ago, the Big 12 is a survivor. Where are these leagues going to turn next? The ACC. The ACC needs to do 2 things: 1) Expand. There is strength in numbers, as the Pac 12 is learning this morning. and 2) Lock in a core, critical market that they OWN. They will never own Florida or the southeast with the SEC in every southern state the ACC is in but North Carolina and Virginia. The ACC does not own the mid-atlantic with the Big 10 in Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The ACC can own the northeast, but it needs to make a move on the defending National Champion.

This isn't homerism. This is watching events unfold and reacting. There is a 100% certainty that if the ACC does nothing it will fail as a conference and damage many of its members. It has to act, and UConn is a start.
I think this was the play they missed 10 years ago. Swofford was such a hair helmet, a back-slapping good ol’ boy with a penchant for making obvious deals seem brilliant. They have added a half-dozen properties that have no gravity in big markets + FSU and now have to deal with the ramifications of that. They open the GOR and they lose the few marketable pieces they have, so nobody is going to be added to the ACC that isn’t ND. I think it is awesome that ND is going to kill another conference.

Reaction Score
The ACC should have added Rutgers, Syracuse, WVU and UCONN and set up a north south division. Play up North versus south, WCW style.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He may be laughing. He’s also correct, there’s no realistic amount that ESPN can add to the ACC deal at this time that would keep the ACC’s top schools in the fold past 2036 GIVEN CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES. 2036 is also a very long time so who knows what things will look like by then.

If that is true, then waiting until 2036 is a death sentence to the remaining members. Why not start building the conference now that they want then when Clemson and whoever leaves?

If it isn't true, and I don't think it is, when why not make the conference stronger now so they avoid the inevitable collapse?

I actually think ESPN will approach the ACC in a few years to try to end that contract early. A linear contract like that will not be viable for ESPN in 2030.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If that is true, then waiting until 2036 is a death sentence to the remaining members. Why not start building the conference now that they want then when Clemson and whoever leaves?

If it isn't true, and I don't think it is, when why not make the conference stronger now so they avoid the inevitable collapse?

I actually think ESPN will approach the ACC in a few years to try to end that contract early. A linear contract like that will not be viable for ESPN in 2030.
There isn't anything they can do. The ACC GOR and deal is a blessing and a curse. It provides rock solid stability for over a decade. A school that thinks it is worth more can think that all it wants. Doesn't matter. Washington is definitely worth more than whatever the PAC will be able to pay them. Doesn't matter. Michigan doesn't get to cry about deserving more than Minnesota. They can all go back to when schools sold their own rights, but none of them would make as much as they do now in that model.

I have said for months now that the ACC weathering this current turmoil means it likely stays intact into the next contract, and it might expand. Even if Washington signs a new GOR with the PAC (and they will need to) it is still going to come up before the ACC GOR does. There aren't going to be any buyers for FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA in 2036.

Reaction Score
ACC is essentially the east coast version of the PAC with Clemson and FSU their USC and UCLA. They only have one time zone and no true viewing interests beyond ET.

If Clemson and FSU bolt in 2036 or sooner there’s not gonna be enough seats left when the music stops.

Reaction Score
There isn't anything they can do. The ACC GOR and deal is a blessing and a curse. It provides rock solid stability for over a decade. A school that thinks it is worth more can think that all it wants. Doesn't matter. Washington is definitely worth more than whatever the PAC will be able to pay them. Doesn't matter. Michigan doesn't get to cry about deserving more than Minnesota. They can all go back to when schools sold their own rights, but none of them would make as much as they do now in that model.

I have said for months now that the ACC weathering this current turmoil means it likely stays intact into the next contract, and it might expand. Even if Washington signs a new GOR with the PAC (and they will need to) it is still going to come up before the ACC GOR does. There aren't going to be any buyers for FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA in 2036.
I think the fear for some of the schools is that ESPN might open the door to renegotiation and some schools like FSU might take advantage of that to bounce.

Reaction Score
An ACC/PAC scheduling agreement? Washington State @ Wake Forest. Where do I sign up?
Yes, with now nine teams left, and two of them looking vigorously to leave, it reeks of desperation.

Reaction Score
Yes, with now nine teams left, and two of them looking vigorously to leave, it reeks of desperation.
It would just show how much trouble both parties seem to be in. I have to think that numbers will be their argument to staving off the big12 from being ahead of both of them in the long term before they lose members to the Big10 and maybe SEC.

Reaction Score
2? Who’s looking to stay?
My guess is that Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford would love for this to hold together, mostly so that they have a smooth transition into their next life in the B1G.

It is also exceedingly unlikely to me Wazzou, Utah, and Oregon State are getting a call from the B12, but I'd guess each would publicly support the PAC and try to keep it stable while advocating for their own entry (but also aware it may not come).

Reaction Score
If the PAC-12 is the "Conference of Champions", does that make the Titanic the "Ship of Champions"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom