PAC-12 Chaos | Page 7 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

Reaction Score
Colorado will remain popular with CA kids, even if they leave. It was before they joined the Pac. It was always appealing to many of the midwestern kids. If you are a bit "granola" or like skiing, nature or the mountains, it's probably on your radar. Also a tremendous live music scene and Denver is popular. Of all the (potential) Big XII schools, it probably would benefit the most from having UConn join. I think Boulder would be appealing to a lot of New England kids.

It will be interesting to see what happens to admissions if UConn joins. People who actually visit Lawrence to see a game might find KU appealing, probably #2 behind Colorado. I can see New England kids going to Iowa State and K-State vet schools, as the northeast sucks for veterinary medicine outside of Cornell and both are very good. I think Baylor and TCU are a tough sell for heavily Catholic New England kids. OK State...I don't see it attracting much attention. BYU is what it is. Texas Tech? Lubbock isn't helping, nor that it's not that strong in engineering.
Tufts? I was surprised it’s not higher, but top 20 vet school.

Lots of Mormons in New England too. Didn’t they just build Temple in Avon or Farmington in the past 10 years?

Reaction Score
A lot of sports reporters showing that they should stick to sports and not report about business. Kliavkoff's statement was pretty clear. Anyone that wants is welcome to think he and the rest of the Pac 12 are crazy for how they are handling the media contract, but demanding details of a media deal that is still being negotiated, and then getting upset when he doesn't provide them, is a sign that the sports reporters are the ones out of their depth.
I think the frustration is because GK and the Pac 12 have set their own deadlines and deliverables, and not met them.

By all measures, if he were heading a public company, shareholders would be furious and investors would want his head.

He has over promised and under delivered throughout this process.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tufts? I was surprised it’s not higher, but top 20 vet school.

Lots of Mormons in New England too. Didn’t they just build Temple in Avon or Farmington in the past 10 years?
Yeah, Tufts is good. But expensive as hell. Many vet students who have an interest in large animals end up at big midwestern or southern state schools. As for BYU, yep, it will appeal to those folks wherever they are. Conference isn’t a selling point for them in any way really.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Uh-oh.

Medic posts a tweet and it gets pulled.

My guess is it was either very good news for us or very bad news.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

What the Pac 12 media deal will be

Amazon Video GIF by Red Oaks

Reaction Score
Commissioner George Kliavkoff shines light on the Pac-12's new TV deal, its Big 12 rivalry and more

Marcello
: The talk out there among the presidents and even ADs is that they want a new TV deal that's at least $31.7 million or higher per team each year, which matches the Big 12's newest contract. Will the Pac-12's forthcoming deal meet that number or be higher?

Kliavkoff: "I'm not going to tell you where our media deals are coming in. It will be enough for them to all sign their grant of rights. That's the important kind of milestone."

Marcello: Are we talking about the Pac-12's finalized TV deal before the season kicks off?

Kliavkoff: "Some time in the near future."

Marcello: Will your game of the week in football in the new deal be on a linear channel, a streaming-only platform or some hybrid?

Kliavkoff: "The structure of those deals is something we're not ready to get into."

Marcello: You and I have discussed previously the possibility of partnerships for events with other conferences. I know the Pac-12 and ACC expressed a desire for non-conference football games and basketball events. Has there been any discussion about that lately?

Kliavkoff: "I really think we need to get through our media rights first."

Marcello: Do you feel optimistic that should you guys reenter discussions, maybe you can work something out with another conference?

Kliavkoff: "Yeah. It's good for college football and it's good for college basketball when we can figure out events like that. One of the interesting things is you think about the back and forth between the Pac-12 and Big 12 fan bases' Twitterati over the last year or so and it has created this kind of new rivalry that like, weirdly, we haven't had before, but I think it's kind of now somewhat of a rivalry."

Marcello: So maybe call up Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark for a few new events?

Kliavkoff: "Yeah, and I think Brett and I should figure out how to put that on the field. That'd be fun."

Marcello: There has been a war of words directly and indirectly between you and Yormark — and the Pac-12 and Big 12 — over the last year. Where do you stand a year later?

Kliavkoff: "I just think we have bigger issues in front of us that we can't let individual personalities get in the way of solving. We have huge opportunities and we have real, real challenges in college athletics. And I've got to work with all the commissioners, particularly the A5 commissioners. I talk to Brett every week, and we're gonna continue to work together as colleagues to figure those out."

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
....A5? Did he mean P5 or is that something completely different I've never heard before?
The Autonomous 5 is the official designation. The P5 is a media creation. With the playoff taking the top 6 conferences, don't be surprised if you see A5 a lot more.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is the PAC is flying chicken with the media buyers while it’s got one foot on a banana peel trying to pull a lifeline out of the hat. Only a matter of time before Washington and Oregon bolt. Any PAC President sticking around for the inevitable culling like the Donner party deserves what’s coming. If there was ever a case that academicians don’t have any business sense this is it. You take the certain good money in a viable conference.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Bottom line is the PAC is flying chicken with the media buyers while it’s got one foot on a banana peel trying to pull a lifeline out of the hat. Only a matter of time before Washington and Oregon bolt. Any PAC President sticking around for the inevitable culling like the Donner party deserves what’s coming. If there was ever a case that academicians don’t have any business sense this is it. You take the certain good money in a viable conference.
Washington and Oregon aren't going anywhere because the Big 10 does not want them. The Big 10 wants Notre Dame and North Carolina, and the conference will wait for them, especially as the SEC is no hurry to expand themselves.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Washington and Oregon aren't going anywhere because the Big 10 does not want them. The Big 10 wants Notre Dame and North Carolina, and the conference will wait for them, especially as the SEC is no hurry to expand themselves.
Going to disagree with you here, at least a bit. I do believe the Big10 wants at least Washington and probably Oregon as well, but will not take them until others leave the PAC and it’s not viable anymore. I know it’s BS as they took the LA schools, but that’s the way I have heard. The Big12 has to pull from the PAC 1st.

I heard a rumor that it was supposed to be USC and Oregon, but the TV partners wanted the LA market for themselves and asked for UCLA instead of The Ducks. Another rumor was the former Big10 commish wanted the entire West Coast with USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon and UDub, but the presidents balked with that many new schools at one.

With those 2 schools (OU and UW), that gives 18, plenty of room for a couple of East Coast/ South East schools to join (along with a certain Midwest school I’d they decide to take the plunge).

Reaction Score
I think USC and UCLA have to be fully integrated into the B1G first before the B1G goes West again. Get all the kinks worked out around scheduling and see how it will play out if/when any more western schools are added. I don't think anything depends on other teams leaving for the Big 12. At the same time, the PAC better add SDSU and SMU (or whoever they decide to add) in the next few years to help make up for the loss of any future team(s) to the B1G if the B1G does come calling again. Integrating USC and UCLA buys the PAC some time to add teams now and help lessen the shock of losing any other top brands to the B1G if that does happen a few years down the road.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think USC and UCLA have to be fully integrated into the B1G first before the B1G goes West again. Get all the kinks worked out around scheduling and see how it will play out if/when any more western schools are added. I don't think anything depends on other teams leaving for the Big 12. At the same time, the PAC better add SDSU and SMU (or whoever they decide to add) in the next few years to help make up for the loss of any future team(s) to the B1G if the B1G does come calling again. Integrating USC and UCLA buys the PAC some time to add teams now and help lessen the shock of losing any other top brands to the B1G if that does happen a few years down the road.
In short, I agree with @dayooper but the B1G knows they aren't going anywhere. Neither would go to the Big XII. B1G can take them whenever it wants, so yes, probably going to see how it goes with the LA schools.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Big 10 has a 2 year window before everyone else finds out what the Big 10 schools already know. Their last deal is the all-time high for a traditional linear deal, and going forward, the majority of revenue will switch to direct. In a market where schools are paid on performance and not on tradition, the Big 10 is in big trouble.

How long after that will it be before Michigan and Ohio State start cutting the dead weight?

Reaction Score
The Big 10 has a 2 year window before everyone else finds out what the Big 10 schools already know. Their last deal is the all-time high for a traditional linear deal, and going forward, the majority of revenue will switch to direct. In a market where schools are paid on performance and not on tradition, the Big 10 is in big trouble.

How long after that will it be before Michigan and Ohio State start cutting the dead weight?
Pretty sure media deals going forward will be based on actual viewers. Schools will have to carry their own weight vs. getting paid (RU) simply because they are in the P2.

Unlike old days, it is not hard to track viewership for schools with all the streaming technology. You are correct it will be just a matter of time before the big brand schools figure out they can make much more money on their own vs. sharing with schools like RU and Northwestern.

Reaction Score

I've been thinking if the northwestern issues were happening 4 years from now they would be in OMG levels of trouble with their program and the B10 would be looking for ways to cut them loose.

Reaction Score

College Sports | Pac-12 survival: Colorado’s conundrum and the unique challenge of a Boulder existence​

Athletically, a connection to Texas, to a greater extent than even California, is necessary for CU’s football recruiting. And there are more blue-chip prospects in the former than the latter: 63 per year in Texas compared to 33 annually in California. (Details below).

The power structure within Boulder reflects the potential for a Big 12 lean, as well.

Coach Deion Sanders, who has transformed the Buffaloes’ national profile since his appointment last winter, views the Lone Star State as imperative. Meanwhile, the chancellor, DiStefano, and athletic director, George, are nearing retirement. Their legacies are at stake.

Will they be swayed by Sanders? What are their priorities? Where are their loyalties? How deep are the scars from the Pac-12’s many missteps under former commissioner Larry Scott?

But when it comes to issues that impact the university in totality, including both the source and mouth of Colorado’s enrollment pipeline, the school seems more suited for the West Coast.

according to the university’s office of data analytics, and slightly more than half (56 percent) were in-state residents.

The out-of-state student population tilts heavily to California. The Golden State is CU’s golden ticket — hello, full-cost tuition! — and accounts for 10 percent of the school’s total enrollment.

There are three times as many students from California as those from Texas.

— The mouth: Colorado has approximately 300,000 living alumni, according to the university. About 50 percent reside in Colorado, while the out-of-state alumni base tilts substantially to Northern and Southern California specifically and the West Coast generally.

There are more alumni in San Francisco than Colorado Springs, more in Seattle than Dallas.

Donations to the athletic department from California increased 903 percent during CU’s first four seasons in the Pac-12, the Boulder Daily Camera reported in 2015.

“Where we play is taking us to where our people are,” George said at the time.

(Note: The alumni data cited above is from 2016.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom