PAC-12 Chaos | Page 5 | The Boneyard

PAC-12 Chaos

Reaction Score
Colorado so far has lost a total of $70 million by moving from the Big 12 to the PAC-12.

Reaction Score
One big advantage for the 10 PAC schools to stay together is reasonable access to the playoffs. How often would any of those teams make the playoffs out of the B1G or the SEC, even with multiple bids going to those conferences. I think it’s more important recruiting wise to have a program that makes the playoffs versus a Rutgers that gets huge money but really has no shot at the playoffs.
Miami had been taking students from the northeast forever. And yet, to leave the Big East for the ACC their clear preference was for BC and Syracuse to come with them.

CO taking kids from Cali isn’t a “yes” or “no” proposition. It’s having as much of a presence in Cali as is possible to get more and better students. Being tied to west coast schools, rather than plains states and Texas schools, is not irrelevant for them. If it was, they never would have left the Big VIII or whatever it then was in the first instance.

Reaction Score
I just checked the breakdown ofout of state students who enroll at CU. Not surprisingly CA is #1 at 12%. TX is #3 at 3.5%. Three North East states are in the top 10, CT at #11. If you total all North East states (NY/NJ and New England) they make up approx 9% of their outside enrollment.

Interestingly, apart from CA, Washington (#7) and AZ (#16) are the only other PAC states in their top 20 out of state enrollment. It is quite shocking how much of their enrollment apart from CA comes from BIG or B12 states.

Reaction Score
I just checked the breakdown ofout of state students who enroll at CU. Not surprisingly CA is #1 at 12%. TX is #3 at 3.5%. Three North East states are in the top 10, CT at #11. If you total all North East states (NY/NJ and New England) they make up approx 9% of their outside enrollment.

Interestingly, apart from CA, Washington (#7) and AZ (#16) are the only other PAC states in their top 20 out of state enrollment. It is quite shocking how much of their enrollment apart from CA comes from BIG or B12 states.
Curious of the Southern California vs Northern California split

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Colorado will remain popular with CA kids, even if they leave. It was before they joined the Pac. It was always appealing to many of the midwestern kids. If you are a bit "granola" or like skiing, nature or the mountains, it's probably on your radar. Also a tremendous live music scene and Denver is popular. Of all the (potential) Big XII schools, it probably would benefit the most from having UConn join. I think Boulder would be appealing to a lot of New England kids.

It will be interesting to see what happens to admissions if UConn joins. People who actually visit Lawrence to see a game might find KU appealing, probably #2 behind Colorado. I can see New England kids going to Iowa State and K-State vet schools, as the northeast sucks for veterinary medicine outside of Cornell and both are very good. I think Baylor and TCU are a tough sell for heavily Catholic New England kids. OK State...I don't see it attracting much attention. BYU is what it is. Texas Tech? Lubbock isn't helping, nor that it's not that strong in engineering.

Reaction Score
CO taking kids from Cali isn’t a “yes” or “no” proposition. It’s having as much of a presence in Cali as is possible to get more and better students. Being tied to west coast schools, rather than plains states and Texas schools, is not irrelevant for them. If it was, they never would have left the Big VIII or whatever it then was in the first instance.
Colorado always drew tons of California kids. It was jokingly called the University of California Boulder. That was before the PAC move. I remember UC being a pretty solid school. It's a great institution, and Boulder is beautiful, but as far as undergrad, it has a very high acceptance rate (80%) and the general reputation (from kids currently there) is that the majority of students are there to party, smoke and ski with academics being an impediment to those preferred activities. I'm not sure that the move back to the Big 12 would impact them academically.

Reaction Score
Knowing people who went to CU, I don't think any of them went there because CU was in the Pac 12. They were attracted to Boulder, the outdoor lifestyle, skiing,...

There is somewhat of a misperception of where CU gets their students. Yes ~12% are from California, but 4.6% are from Illinois, 3.4% from Texas, 1.9% from Florida, 1.7% from NY, 1.6% from NJ, 1.6% from Washington, 1.5% from Massachusetts, 1.4% from Pennsylvania, 1.1% from Virginia. In other words, all over the US. So, I don't really think being in the Pac 12 is that important to potential CU students.

When CU left the Big 12, the conference was starting to blow up (and Pac 12 had a great athletic and academic reputation), so schools had to look for a stable home. Right now, it appears the Big 12 will be a more stable conference than the Pac 12.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

So misleading. Yes, the framework GOR is agreed or the network partners wouldn't even talk to them. It's a package deal, we get this TV deal and the GOR is signed. Once that is formally presented, schools will have to decide to sign it or leave. None of them have agreed to it as of now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

This guy has big brass ones if he pulls this off. Or he is an idiot. That said, this should be good news for UConn. It certainly signals to the Big 12 that there probably won’t be a bunch of western schools available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom