Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

Reaction Score
I guess the conference will at least be going out on a high note? I'd love to see a Pac-12 school win this year's natty, though probably not U$C or FUCLA...
Well, I don't want to see anybody but us win the natty, I wouldn't mind seeing 3 in the final four. If Oregon State and Washington State can't make that three I would chose one of each future conference, Stanford, UCLA and Utah.

Reaction Score
I want the All Coast Conference to add OSU & WSU. Then I will do a happy dance with my favorite Dukie on this board

Reaction Score
Well my first game ever at MKA in Eugene. I was able to view a team that shot 80% from 3 in the first half. Not the Ducks unfortunately. Ducks lose to Santa Clara (!) at home by 39 (!).
I have concluded that I just watched the likely 12th place team in the Pac-12.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nah, Arizona St. has that locked down. Cal should be 11th. You're looking at 10th at worst probably.

Reaction Score
Well my first game ever at MKA in Eugene. I was able to view a team that shot 80% from 3 in the first half. Not the Ducks unfortunately. Ducks lose to Santa Clara (!) at home by 39 (!).
Geez. Sorry you had to see THAT game. I watched the highlights because I thought the score was not reported correctly. Absolutely insane 3-pt shooting by Santa Clara. OSU plays Santa Clara in December--will have some film to study from the game vs Ducks. I think this will help UO to improve their perimeter defense.

Reaction Score
Watched the Arizona-South Dakota game and I noticed a couple things.

1) Breya Cunningham looks to be in much better shape than what I saw of her in high school. That pair, Cunningham and Nnaji could be a formidable front court soon enough.

2) Jada Williams looks like a pretty good point guard, though still developing. But she doesn't look as quick as she did in high school. Against D1 competition, she looks ordinary. Perhaps that will change over the next couple seasons.

Reaction Score
PAC-12 conference games are going to be must see TV. I wonder if I have Pac-12 network.

Reaction Score
In the USC-Penn St game, #8 USC squeaks past an unranked team thanks to JuJu's heroics. This does not bode well for the Trojans. Even if JuJu can carry them to a few good wins, they will go nowhere in March.

Reaction Score
In the USC-Penn St game, #8 USC squeaks past an unranked team thanks to JuJu's heroics. This does not bode well for the Trojans. Even if JuJu can carry them to a few good wins, they will go nowhere in March.
I think it’s going to take a while for the Trojans to mesh. Juju bailed her team out after they let Penn State make its run scoring 14 straight to go up by 6 points 70-64 with 2 minutes remaining after being down by 8 at the 8:30 mark in Q4. Juju then scored USC’s last seven points to regain the lead 71-70. If Juju gets into foul trouble and leaves the floor USC’s offense loses any flow. I expect it will improve as the season progresses but the heavy dependence on Watkins will result in some losses in conference play. Are the Trojans a top ten team? Based on the games I’ve seen I question it but many other ranked teams have either lost unexpectedly or barely beat teams that they expected to defeat easily so it’s hard to say this early.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe Penn St. is good? They beat a Kansas team who just gave Virginia Tech all they could handle.

Are we forgetting USC handled Ohio St.?

Reaction Score
I expect it will improve as the season progresses but the heavy dependence on Watkins will result in some losses in conference play.
You're probably right. But in my experience, heavy dependence on one star tends to make the rest of the team worse, not better.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You're probably right. But in my experience, heavy dependence on one star tends to make the rest of the team worse, not better.
Like Iowa last year? :rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think Oregon is going to be the bottom feeder of the Pac-12. They are losing to Portland at the half 46-18.

Reaction Score
I think Oregon is going to be the bottom feeder of the Pac-12. They are losing to Portland at the half 46-18.
Predicted a 12th for my Ducks after Santa Clara. This confirms my thoughts. Not looking forward to traveling to Baylor next. Ouch.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Delayed revenge by Lucy Cochrane against her former team?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What's weird is if you took away the 2 games against WCC teams, you might not suspect there was a problem in Eugene. Game against Grand Canyon closer than expected, but easy wins against Northern Arizona, Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Nevada don't raise the eyebrows.

Wow. 91-60 final. Just wow. UP beat a horrible Seattle U. team by about the same score. Is Oregon really comparable to a bottom half of the WAC team?

Reaction Score
Predicted a 12th for my Ducks after Santa Clara. This confirms my thoughts. Not looking forward to traveling to Baylor next. Ouch.
Time for Graves to go. The cries are growing louder and the season has not even started. When you say your team lacks fundamentals in the game afterwards then who is to blame "I have got to start coaching better" Buy him a donut shop and tell him to go away"

Reaction Score
Time for Graves to go. The cries are growing louder and the season has not even started. When you say your team lacks fundamentals in the game afterwards then who is to blame "I have got to start coaching better" Buy him a donut shop and tell him to go away"
Was he not saying something similar last season? Rhetorical, but when does he plan on doing so?

Reaction Score
Had Graves won some good players off the portal, or even won them for next season, this throw away season for Oregon would have been ok.
But the players coming in are extremely underwhelming and will not have an impact in these Pac-12/B1G conference games.
Nowhere near the level you need to be competitive.
If he doesn't land a quality player next year somehow, it will probably be his last year at Oregon.

Reaction Score
Had Graves won some good players off the portal, or even won them for next season, this throw away season for Oregon would have been ok.
But the players coming in are extremely underwhelming and will not have an impact in these Pac-12/B1G conference games.
Nowhere near the level you need to be competitive.
If he doesn't land a quality player next year somehow, it will probably be his last year at Oregon.
Graves needs to be gone at the end of this debacle of a season regardless of who he MIGHT LAND in the next recruiting class. Lack of talent is not the problem.

In the wake of his 2019-2020 super team he recruited a 2020 superclass of the number 8, 11, 17, 19 and 22. They are in their senior season now. In 2021 he had number 29. In 2022 he got numbers 17, 13 and 36. In 23 he added numbers 26 and 42.

That’s 11 top 50 players , seven of whom are top 25s! That’s almost comparable to SCar’s present 11 player roster.

The problem ain’t recruiting and recruiting shouldn’t save his job.

Reaction Score
Well, he will get some grace for landing Sabrina and that super squad before COVID.
And it's not like he's had a losing season since that team.
Unfortunately for him the trajectory is tragic right now. He really let bullies like Sedona P ruin his team. Everyone that left has flat out been mocked the program since and has enjoyed stomping them in games. Embarrassing really.

He needs to thank his prayers that some of those top 25s are enjoying their time in eugene outside of basketball. Because if they start leaving too, he might as well forfeit the season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom