Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 as we know it: 23-24 Season Outlook

Reaction Score
FYI, TvO (Oregon State) has not played in any of the games on the Beavers WBB Trip in Italy. Apparently TvO is healthy for upcoming season but coaches have kept her out of the games to let her MCL repair continue healing and avoiding any chance of injury. Martha Pietsch has also been held out due to an ankle injury, but Martha too is considered to be healthy for upcoming season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
FYI, TvO (Oregon State) has not played in any of the games on the Beavers WBB Trip in Italy. Apparently TvO is healthy for upcoming season but coaches have kept her out of the games to let her MCL repair continue healing and avoiding any chance of injury. Martha Pietsch has also been held out due to an ankle injury, but Martha too is considered to be healthy for upcoming season.
Thanks for the updates. I've been seeing pictures of the team enjoying traveling around Italy. Also some really lopsided scores against overmatched opponents.

Reaction Score
Oregon Ducks played in London and, more recently, Greece. Like the Beavers above over matched opponents but fun sightseeing, bonding, food, experiences, etc. The main takeaway I've had is that it looks like Graves has found his PG replacement in Miami (OH) Senior transfer, Peyton Scott. Early days yet of course but VanSlooten, Gray, and Kyei are likely locked in. He might be looking at 6'1"freshman Sofia Bell at the 3. Bell was the state of Oregon's top player, a MacDonald's AA, and #26 on ESPN 100.

Priscilla Williams did not dress down or play so I guess there is still an eligibility question.

Reaction Score
UCLA is also currently on a foreign tour. They dropped their last game in Berlin and are now 1-1.

That's not the final score but the full game is available via that link.

The bounce back was real (128-23). The score of their game today was a lot more similar to the scores we are accustomed to seeing..
I'm not trying to over hype but even a shot like this in transition speaks to Dugalic skill. Just hope she continues to get healthy. Defensively she really struggled last game

Also just thinking in general about the conference and some other foreign tours, WSU is a real interesting team. With Jenna Villa, CLW and Tara Wallack that's a lot of size basically as guards. Then Bella and Beyonce Bea in the front court. Just seem like a very versatile team with a bit more scoring pop this season.

Reaction Score
The bounce back was real (128-23). The score of their game today was a lot more similar to the scores we are accustomed to seeing..
I'm not trying to over hype but even a shot like this in transition speaks to Dugalic skill. Just hope she continues to get healthy. Defensively she really struggled last game

Also just thinking in general about the conference and some other foreign tours, WSU is a real interesting team. With Jenna Villa, CLW and Tara Wallack that's a lot of size basically as guards. Then Bella and Beyonce Bea in the front court. Just seem like a very versatile team with a bit more scoring pop this season.
And Wallack has been doing a lot outside of what WSU had planned this summer. Between GloblJam U23 and time with the Canadian U24 3x3 team, she's had ample opportunities to challenge herself. Looking forward to seeing how that translates on the court this year.

Reaction Score
A lot of people have questioned Cori Close’s coaching (somewhat justifiably) but IMO she’s never had as complete a roster to challenge nationally as she does with this one. The last 4-5 years in particular UCLA has lacked interior power which is not a recipe for success given the post talent in the league and across the country. I think Betts is a game-changer though and expect Bessoir/Dugalic/Sontag/Muse to provide solid reinforcements. It’s one of the highest-potential frontcourts in the nation — and also one of the most unproven. I’m actually more concerned about their backcourt — it’s explosive, but also smaller and inefficient. I do really like Close and would be happy to see her finally get a league title.

If used correctly Brink could be a 20/12/4 player this year. I wouldn’t pick Stanford to win the league but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they do. Tara does what she does — often in unspectacular viewing fashion — better than almost anyone else besides Kim, Geno, and maybe Dawn.

I actually think Utah’s success is highly replicable, although I can see why others are more hesitant. Pili is a stud and their guards take good shots and hit them at a solid clip. I thought they played decent defense too given they’re not loaded with athletes.

USC is going to be one of the most interesting teams to follow this year. They robbed the Ivy League blind but it’s never a given that talent and performance will translate to the P5. I’m a huge fan of Rayah Marshall and she’s already one of the finest defensive posts in the land, but a terribly inefficient scorer. If she can improve her finishing this could be an Elite Eight team or beyond. A lot of that will ride on Watkins and if her freshman year can come close to a Bueckers/Clark level of impact. Gottlieb doesn’t have a sterling record as a coach but she’s gone to a Final Four and you can’t dismiss that experience.

Other thoughts - Colorado is high-floor/low-ceiling, WSU and the Oregon schools are probably going to be better than their league records show, and Arizona State better hope that Georgia Tech hasn’t improved at all or they’ll be the worst major-league offense for the second year in a row.

Should be a fun final run in the PAC as we know it!

Reaction Score
A lot of people have questioned Cori Close’s coaching (somewhat justifiably) but IMO she’s never had as complete a roster to challenge nationally as she does with this one. The last 4-5 years in particular UCLA has lacked interior power which is not a recipe for success given the post talent in the league and across the country. I think Betts is a game-changer though and expect Bessoir/Dugalic/Sontag/Muse to provide solid reinforcements. It’s one of the highest-potential frontcourts in the nation — and also one of the most unproven. I’m actually more concerned about their backcourt — it’s explosive, but also smaller and inefficient. I do really like Close and would be happy to see her finally get a league title.

If used correctly Brink could be a 20/12/4 player this year. I wouldn’t pick Stanford to win the league but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they do. Tara does what she does — often in unspectacular viewing fashion — better than almost anyone else besides Kim, Geno, and maybe Dawn.

I actually think Utah’s success is highly replicable, although I can see why others are more hesitant. Pili is a stud and their guards take good shots and hit them at a solid clip. I thought they played decent defense too given they’re not loaded with athletes.

USC is going to be one of the most interesting teams to follow this year. They robbed the Ivy League blind but it’s never a given that talent and performance will translate to the P5. I’m a huge fan of Rayah Marshall and she’s already one of the finest defensive posts in the land, but a terribly inefficient scorer. If she can improve her finishing this could be an Elite Eight team or beyond. A lot of that will ride on Watkins and if her freshman year can come close to a Bueckers/Clark level of impact. Gottlieb doesn’t have a sterling record as a coach but she’s gone to a Final Four and you can’t dismiss that experience.

Other thoughts - Colorado is high-floor/low-ceiling, WSU and the Oregon schools are probably going to be better than their league records show, and Arizona State better hope that Georgia Tech hasn’t improved at all or they’ll be the worst major-league offense for the second year in a row.

Should be a fun final run in the PAC as we know it!
Best player on UCLA, Oregon State, USC, and Colorado? Not because I don't know these teams. I'm just a big believer in you are only as good as your best player. One of my concerns with UCLA is I truly don't know who their best player is, who they are going to trust in big moments. I almost think Jaquez might be, but she doesn't really get much love. I've kinda hyped her up a lot this summer but I really like Dugalic as well.
Oregon State is similar. They kept benching Gardener and Beers last year, but I think Beers is a monster. She's Pac-12 player of the year good imo.
USC as you mentioned has Marshall, a bunch of senior transfers, but then a renowned freshman. I think that will definitely be a wait and see thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Best player on UCLA, Oregon State, USC, and Colorado? Not because I don't know these teams. I'm just a big believer in you are only as good as your best player. One of my concerns with UCLA is I truly don't know who their best player is, who they are going to trust in big moments. I almost think Jaquez might be, but she doesn't really get much love. I've kinda hyped her up a lot this summer but I really like Dugalic as well.
Oregon State is similar. They kept benching Gardener and Beers last year, but I think Beers is a monster. She's Pac-12 player of the year good imo.
USC as you mentioned has Marshall, a bunch of senior transfers, but then a renowned freshman. I think that will definitely be a wait and see thing.
I really think the PAC-12 is going to be a fantastic league this season. I believe PAC-12 will have a Final 4 representative. Re: OSU, I haven't been this excited for OSU WBB since the season with Pivec, Tudor, Goodman, Gulich, etc. Beers is a monster, and continues to improve. Timea Gardiner is at full strength, and going to a problem for every defense. Our guard play is going to be much improved both offensively and defensively. OSU is very long and athletic at the guard position. And let's not forget TvO, who is now also at full strength. I am anticipating a team that is going to push the ball far more frequently after a defensive rebound because team speed is much improved. You will also see a freshmen on this team who will impress (meaning make the PAC-12 freshman WBB Team).

Reaction Score
Jaquez has some potential, but based on last year, she won't be hitting her stride until Junior or Senior year. Super-Senior Charisma Osborne will be the closer at UCLA, but she shouldn't have to carry the team. Betts, Dugalic, Bessoir, and Rice should all be very productive. Londynn Jones will have games where she scores in bunches, but is just a tad too small to absolutely rely on in crunch time. UCLA is incredibly deep, though. Close has no excuses if the team stays healthy. I think Dugalic will be the breakout this year.

Reaction Score
Just a side note about Jada Williams at Arizona: she will enjoy being reunited with Breya Cunningham, but that’s not the reason she switched. I’m pretty sure it’s because Rice chose UCLA. Jada’s parents had paid for a couple of professionally edited ‘reveal’ videos that she distributed to announce choosing UCLA. Then shortly after Rice’s announcement, she made the switch. I don’t blame her for doing it. Sitting on the bench watching Rice start for three years was going to be no fun. Everyone at Arizona will be happier she’s there.

Reaction Score
Charlisse legend walking.

Media day tomorrow for the conference. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pac 12 Media Day today. I liked the way Big Ten Media Day was set up a bit better but overall there were some good interviews. My main takeaways were:

Colorado: I thought they may take a step back, but media day kinda changed my mind. Their coach mentioned that they really focused on taking the momentum from last year and starting the season from there. I don't think that necessarily means they will advance further in the tournament but they may have a better regular season. Additionally their coach said some interesting things. I always like big guards, and their coach said Frida Formann is going to take another step this season. She was really lights out in the tournament so that's interesting. Additionally, their coach said Vonleh has the potential to be the best center in the country. That was pretty wild to me but sounds like they have a lot of confidence. Really cool they basically kick off the season in Las Vegas vs the defending champs. They will be ready.

Oregon State - I thought their coach kinda acknowledged their past couple seasons have been a bit disappointing and accurately pointed out that they hit the injury bug. It also was a good reminder because I forgot how much of the season Timea Gardener missed. She only played 15 games and wasn't fully back. I expect her to have a really good sophomore season. Also I liked that Donovyn Hunter got a shout out from both coaches and players. Another big guard to put alongside TVO... talk about a physical/tall team at every position.

WSU- Love coaches that are blunt. Obviously they all know more basketball than most (especially me). But it's always cool when they something that even the average fan can see. She mentioned the need to have balance, and multiple players averaging double figures. Like it can't be the Legend Walking show all the time and I thought that was pretty honest. I was hoping to hear that Beyonce Bea was having a great pre-season, but she focused on the freshman. She specifically mentioned Jenna Vila, a tall freshman point guard who I know did great on their trip overseas.

Arizona - Always up for an Adia Barnes interview. She's another coach that's always brutally honest. They asked how are you going to press with only 10 players? She kinda was like I have no clue.lol. I think to start this thread I had the team pretty high, I kind of think it's going to be a bit of a transition year for them. They did good not to have a crazy non-conference schedule. I think they should still get 20 wins.

Those were just the random things that kind of stood out to me.

Reaction Score
Pac 12 Media Day today. I liked the way Big Ten Media Day was set up a bit better but overall there were some good interviews. My main takeaways were:

Colorado: I thought they may take a step back, but media day kinda changed my mind. Their coach mentioned that they really focused on taking the momentum from last year and starting the season from there. I don't think that necessarily means they will advance further in the tournament but they may have a better regular season. Additionally their coach said some interesting things. I always like big guards, and their coach said Frida Formann is going to take another step this season. She was really lights out in the tournament so that's interesting. Additionally, their coach said Vonleh has the potential to be the best center in the country. That was pretty wild to me but sounds like they have a lot of confidence. Really cool they basically kick off the season in Las Vegas vs the defending champs. They will be ready.

Oregon State - I thought their coach kinda acknowledged their past couple seasons have been a bit disappointing and accurately pointed out that they hit the injury bug. It also was a good reminder because I forgot how much of the season Timea Gardener missed. She only played 15 games and wasn't fully back. I expect her to have a really good sophomore season. Also I liked that Donovyn Hunter got a shout out from both coaches and players. Another big guard to put alongside TVO... talk about a physical/tall team at every position.

WSU- Love coaches that are blunt. Obviously they all know more basketball than most (especially me). But it's always cool when they something that even the average fan can see. She mentioned the need to have balance, and multiple players averaging double figures. Like it can't be the Legend Walking show all the time and I thought that was pretty honest. I was hoping to hear that Beyonce Bea was having a great pre-season, but she focused on the freshman. She specifically mentioned Jenna Vila, a tall freshman point guard who I know did great on their trip overseas.

Arizona - Always up for an Adia Barnes interview. She's another coach that's always brutally honest. They asked how are you going to press with only 10 players? She kinda was like I have no clue.lol. I think to start this thread I had the team pretty high, I kind of think it's going to be a bit of a transition year for them. They did good not to have a crazy non-conference schedule. I think they should still get 20 wins.

Emily Bessoir and Angela Dugalic represented UCLA at Pac-12 WBB Media Day. Bessoir plays for the German National Women’s Senior Team and Dugalic for the Serbian National Women’s Team. Both teams earned entries into the FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament February 8-11. Both teams drew a spot in the Brazil region along with host Brazil and Australia. Cori Close and staff agreed to let Bessoir and Dugalic participate. Not sure about Lina Sontag, Bessoir’s teammate on the German Senior Team. Both players will miss UCLA home games against the Arizona schools that weekend.

Begs the questions: 1. Will Coach Dawn Staley let Kamilla Cardoso join her Brazilian National Team in February? The Gamecocks have home games with Missouri and UConn that week.

2. Canada will vie for one of two spots in the February Olympic Qualifier at a “pre-qualifying tournament” along with Puerto Rico, Venezuela and host Columbia Nov 9-12. Aaliyah Edwards plays for the Canada Women’s Senior Team (ND’s Cassandra Prosper does as well). Will Coach Geno let Edwards go to Columbia? Canada most likely advances to the February round In either China or Hungary. Does Edward’s go in February? UConn hosts Seton Hall and visits South Carolina that week.

I don’t get how these national teams manage team cohesion. Many professionals will be smack in the middle of their league schedules. I believe most if not all Eurobasket leagues have a break in their schedules in February 2024 to accommodate the FIBA tournaments but there doesn’t seem much time to practice as a national team.

Reaction Score

re: "Another big guard to put alongside TVO... talk about a physical/tall team at every position."

Adlee Blacklock is 6'0 guard and very physical, AJ Marotte is 6'1" and has bulked up and is incredibly athletic, Lily Hansford is 6'2" guard, Dominka Paurova is 6'1" guard and very athletic and long, and Donovan Hunter is 6'0" tall and also a very athletic guard. OSU guard play is going to surprise the PAC-12 this year.

Reaction Score
This is kind of amusing regarding listing roster heights. On the left is Priscilla Williams (#4) listed a 6'2". In the middle is Sammie Wagner listed at 6'1". On the right is Swedish recruit Fillipa Tilliander also listed at 6'1". So sometimes it is a matter of camera perspective, depth of field, or posture. But (from the photo) it looks like it goes left, center, right by height.
Williams, Wagner, Tilliander.jpg

Reaction Score
Curious to know which of you will be attending PAC-12 venues this season and can provide game summaries/snapshots? I hope to attend every OSU WBB home game, and would gladly share my views of OSU and any PAC-12 Team that plays in Gill Coliseum this season. I'm hoping we have other PAC-12 members who would be willing to do the same.

Reaction Score
I'd go to Boulder more often for games if it wasn't so damn far from my work in Centennial - I suppose I could work remotely on game days and get up there more often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom