Over or Under: Ayanna to Dunk 5 Times in her First Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Over or Under: Ayanna to Dunk 5 Times in her First Year

Reaction Score
Well.. Here's an attempt.. Plenty of hops.. This was a flub.. I'd guess (with those hops) there would be a number of flushes!

Dunking in practice and dunking in a game are two different things. The only time I've seen women dunk is on breakaways that would be uncontested layups. Never seen them successfully go up against a defender for a dunk.

To me a dunk is not worth anything more than a layup and probably (for women) has a higher chance of a miss.

The value of the ability to dunk is that it shows the PHYSICAL ability to jump on rebounds and to block shots. Of course, those two attributes require more than physical ability to jump.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't recall Geno ever expressing a point of view about a Husky dunking. I can imagine what he'd say. If you are going to try it you better make it. A missed dunk spurs on the opposition. So if you were that player would you try it. I'm going under on the bet.

Reaction Score
I watched the U S A Women's 3 X 3 FIBA tournament this summer on live stream.
Yes, I was awake during some early morning games. Some of the video showed
Ayanna " warming up " on the court with the opposing national players ( e.g.
Germany with Sabally and Russia, etc, you get the idea). Ayanna would
"practice " her dunks while the opponents watched in the background of the
video. It was quite the psych out! Z

Reaction Score
Well.. Here's an attempt.. Plenty of hops.. This was a flub.. I'd guess (with those hops) there would be a number of flushes!
@RoadMaster You a driver or own a classic Buick? ;)(Buick fan here)
No attack but on this attempt she did not have the hops to dunk the ball. Click through the replay slowly and one will see her hands were only half way over the rim, where at least wrist height or more is needed to flush the ball. The ball is clearly bounced of the backboard and never a chance to enter the cylinder. Clearly a good opportunity to simply drop the ball over the front edge of the rim and draw kudos from the crowd. That and if it were next year draw the ire / wrath of Geno. :)

Reaction Score
@RoadMaster You a driver or own a classic Buick? ;)(Buick fan here)
No attack but on this attempt she did not have the hops to dunk the ball. Click through the replay slowly and one will see her hands were only half way over the rim, where at least wrist height or more is needed to flush the ball. The ball is clearly bounced of the backboard and never a chance to enter the cylinder. Clearly a good opportunity to simply drop the ball over the front edge of the rim and draw kudos from the crowd. That and if it were next year draw the ire / wrath of Geno. :)

She has shown she can dunk many times. She just messed up on this one.

Reactions: PvP

sun

Reaction Score
Ayanna is shown in this video at 0:23, at 1:03 doing an ally oop plus another, and at 2:05.
If a dunk results from an offensive rebound then that's just one way that it could happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ayanna is shown in this video at 0:23, at 1:03 doing an ally oop plus another, and at 2:05.
If a dunk results from an offensive rebound then that's just one way that it could happen.

Out of all those dunks, I only see one player doing it during a game, and hers are unopposed on breakaway steals. All the rest are practice dunks.

I place little value on dunk, though I have respect for the physical ability.

Reaction Score
Look, how about just scoring the two points?
And if you get fouled and can make it three, all the better.

sun

Reaction Score
I place little value on dunk, though I have respect for the physical ability.
On 2/8/2021, SC was tied with UConn with seconds left in the game, and multiple attempts to make a put back to win the game failed which sent the game into overtime and an eventual win for UConn.
Boston missed the last 2 attempts and simply couldn't put the ball in the hoop.
That's a common example of how being able to reach above the rim to dunk an offensive rebound can be the margin of victory.

Watch what happened shortly after the 15:00 mark on this video.

Reactions: PvP

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't recall Geno ever expressing a point of view about a Husky dunking. I can imagine what he'd say. If you are going to try it you better make it. A missed dunk spurs on the opposition. So if you were that player would you try it. I'm going under on the bet.
Tried the google but couldn't find anything, however I vaguely remember Geno commenting about dunking and pretty much said if you make it, great, but if not, don't do it ???

Reaction Score
In a year...and in college? First year? None. Has she dunked 5 times in HS in her career?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Assuming the Dunkee is physically able to make the shot with high efficiency. (80% perhaps), I would think Geno's attitude to a Dunk would be no different than one of Paige's passes with Swag.

Also keep in mind that unlike many on the BY, Geno does not seem to have an aversion to how the men's game is played.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Most likely, under. Let's see what she does in warmups first.

Check the video that includes Toby Fournier, 6'2" from Crestwood Prep in Canada (Liya's school). She's class of 2024 and followed by Coach Valley. I saw an IG post yesterday in which she dunked several times in warmups. She's #25 in the HG rankings, but Canadians are often mis-ranked. She looks like a top-10 player to me.

sun

Reaction Score
The more one reads about the history of women slam dunks, it becomes apparent that women don't like men telling them what they can and cannot do on the BB court.
Dunking is a feminist statement about their abilities vis-a-vis what men are allowed to do.

In a 9/29/2017 BleacherReport article titled "How Viral Dunkers Can Revolutionize Women's Basketball",
Michelle Snow said,

"Some people don't think women should lift weights, they don't think they should dunk—they think they should be at home cooking and laying on their backs," Snow says today. "It's difficult. Sometimes people will make you cry. After you finish crying, go prove them wrong."

When you see what happens to players on fast breaks when they don't dunk and make a lay up instead, they often end up slamming into the padded support for the basket.
That must hurt.
Men should support women who want to dunk just as their WBB teammates do.

In 2020, Francesca Belibi dunked twice which were the first NCAA WBB dunks in 7 years.
They can be seen at the beginning of this video.

Last edited:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Im no expert on female dunking.... but has a female ever dunked in traffic?? I can't recall seeing one.

This was considered dunking in traffic, as the defender runs under her. Pat wanted no dunks in traffic for fear of a defender unintentionally injuring the player.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
As for those opposed to dunking for the reason of missed bunnies, those that can dunk do so at a higher success rate than those taking bunnies. The dunk became the preferred method of scoring in the men’s game because the likelihood of missing it or getting it blocked is less than that of a lay up.

Reaction Score
On 2/8/2021, SC was tied with UConn with seconds left in the game, and multiple attempts to make a put back to win the game failed which sent the game into overtime and an eventual win for UConn.
That's a common example of how being able to reach above the rim to dunk an offensive rebound can be the margin of victory.

Watch what happened shortly after the 15:00 mark on this video.

Please show me a video of any woman dunking on a shot that that is not a breakaway
In a year...and in college? First year? None. Has she dunked 5 times in HS in her career?
has she dunked one time in a game in her hs career?

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I believe you see fewer dunks in the women's game primarily because of the differences in height, arm length & hand size between the genders. But as more women take up the sport, as well as through gains in nutrition, there are more and should be more outliers. Layups were "fundamentals" back in my day (way way back), but nowadays they may be as difficult for some as are free throws for others. I've been astonished watching pro men's players flub layups; and flubs in breakaway layups in the women's game seem to be very frequent. Dunking may be a better percentage than a layup under some conditions, as a number of you have noted. The game changes; you can't have a top team nowadays without efficient three point gunners. Are three point shooters showing off or showboating? (maybe to Bob Ryan) Once you get past the early showboating reaction, dunking & 3 point shooting become routine, just another part of the game.

Reaction Score
No attack on anyone here just conversation.
This is a poor example to make your point and again no attack but Boston or any other player could not have dunked as far as she was from the rim. That and with defenders in her face while jumping flat footed from the floor. As @visitingcock said above there is a big difference when a player has a running start.
I believe you see fewer dunks in the women's game primarily because of the differences in height, arm length & hand size between the genders.
Hand size has to be eliminated here due to ball size between genders. No pun intended. ;) Women's basketballs are smaller than men's due to hand size.

sun

Reaction Score
Please show me a video of any woman dunking on a shot that that is not a breakaway

has she dunked one time in a game in her hs career?

Why and what would does it prove or disprove?
If you don't think that a WBB can or should dunk then what does it matter?
Ayanna is already practicing her ability to dunk in a game.
She will be the one to decide if and when she's ready to do it.
We're not going to stop her or any other WBB player from doing it.
It's not like Ayanna is 7 feet tall, but another WBB player might be.
It's time to accept the inevitable. that some day some WBB will be dunking more and the fans and her team will appreciate it and they won't care about any fan criticism about it.
Obviously Paige is a fan of WBB players being able to dunk.
And I'll bet that when Ayanna or any other UConn player dunks that her fans will love it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why and what would does it prove or disprove?
If you don't think that a WBB can or should dunk then what does it matter?
Ayanna is already practicing her ability to dunk in a game.
She will be the one to decide if and when she's ready to do it.
We're not going to stop her or any other WBB player from doing it.
It's not like Ayanna is 7 feet tall, but another WBB player might be.
It's time to accept the inevitable. that some day some WBB will be dunking more and the fans and her team will appreciate it and they won't care about any fan criticism about it.
Obviously Paige is a fan of WBB players being able to dunk.
And I'll bet that when Ayanna or any other UConn player dunks that her fans will love it.
I am not opposed to any woman dunking the ball. However, this post is about a freshman over/under getting game time dunks. It is preposterous for a freshman who has never dunked in a game ( to my knowledge). Show me any women’s college basketball player who has gotten 5 dunks in a season. Maybe you can.

If our new 2022 recruit dunks in a game, as she has done in high school, I may whoop and holler a bit but it means no more than a ten foot jump shot and less than a 3 pointer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is exactly what he did say. He has no problem with dunking, as long as you can make it.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts:
-The over or under should be based on 1 or 2. 5? Possible, but unlikely.
-I would not want to be the UConn player that tried a wide open dunk and missed (per Ayanna's video in above post). Would do everything possible to avoid Geno on the bench (where they would be shortly).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom