Our 2020 Recruits! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Our 2020 Recruits!

Reaction Score
Geno did say Mir reminds him a little bit of Swin Cash, who was also an undersized post, yet she beat out the likes of Jones and Williams for a starting role early on in her playing career. Mir did avg 2 assists this past season while beating out Reece for Maryland GPOY. I think she’s the underrated one of the 2020 class, and will prove some people wrong, it’s seems like UConn has a position open at the 4 spot, and Mir could be the one to grab it like she’s going to grab a tone of rebounds throughout her UConn career.

Reaction Score
Wondering what posters think are the best positions for our recruits and how they would fit with others?
Here are my thoughts.

Nika- Pure point guard and probably just point guard, but could play with Paige playing the SG. Could do the same with Westbrook or CW. As a pressing defense & fast-breaking unit with unbelievable ballhandling/passing, I would find a combo of Nika, Paige, Ana, Aubrey and Alliah very interesting.

Paige- Great pure point guard but could be very good at SG as well. That probably only happens when in the game with Nika. When she and Westbrook are both on the court I think Paige is the point.

Mir- Hard to figure out. Somewhat like smaller Aubrey and has been compared to Gabby as a leaper, but Gabby had a stronger body to bang with the bigs. At PF I believe Alliah and Aubrey would be ahead of her. Maybe she could find a role at SF with a very different skillset from Ana. When you want defense and rebounding use her and Ana for shooting and passing.

Alliah- I think she will be a natural PF who could also back up Olivia at C and play some at SF as well. Ideally I think she beats out Aubrey for starting PF and when Olivia sits Alliah moves to C and Aubrey comes in to play PF. I think her versatile game insures she will get significant minutes along with Paige. If Piath is better than hoped for early on Alliah might not need to play C much, but I consider that more of a hope than an expectation.

Piath- I haven't seen enough video to have much of an opinion, but I presume she will be considered just as a C who depending on her offensive skills might be possible with Olivia but probably not. I suspect she won't get regular minutes but who knows. If you have enough size and can run the floor you might be able to contribute with rim protection and rebounding right away.

As for the other newcomer Westbrook, I believe her best position for Uconn will be shooting guard, but she can play PG and if playing smallball, SF as well. If she earns a starting position it is more likely to be at PG or SF instead of Ana. I am hoping she is not used much at point guard, because we already have Paige and Nika.

I hope with the anticipation of a much deeper bench, the starter minutes come way down and we press and fast break far more often. With these pieces you can put together units that emphasize ballhandling, shooting, defense and rebounding depending on what is needed. I hope next year at least 9 get regular minutes.

Reaction Score
I have great faith as well but would like to remind you that this is a WBB forum, where politics is not allowed. This particular thread is about UCONN 2020 recruits-about who you have yet to express an opinion. I think they are going to be great. What do you think about these 2020 recruits?
I think they are going to be Grrrrrreat Coco Husky!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I have great faith as well but would like to remind you that this is a WBB forum, where politics is not allowed. This particular thread is about UCONN 2020 recruits-about who you have yet to express an opinion. I think they are going to be great. What do you think about these 2020 recruits?
I think they will all be very good and that includes Mir, even though you don't think highly of her. I believe she will surprise you, especially when she learns the system.

Reaction Score
Wondering what posters think are the best positions for our recruits and how they would fit with others?
Here are my thoughts.

I think you nailed everything.

Nika-- a pg (1) only. I have no idea what to expect from her. None. Don't know if she'll be in regular rotation or maybe be terrific. And I don't know if she can play fast or mostly just play in halfcourt. Obviously it would be super if she can be a legit pg able to play in nay style and do it well.

Paige-- a pg (1) a sg (2) and a sf (3). It's hard to separate the 2 and 3 spots. In addition some teams small forwards play like sg's. And some bigger teams purposely play their sf outside because their 4's and 5's are more suited to being inside or 15 feet and in.

Evina-- a pg (1), a sg (2), a sf (3), a pf (4). I really don't know about her at the 4 but I wish I could watch the the below game. And I'm not sure if she a natural pg. In regards to her playing pf-- not every team plays big. Secondly, not every team that plays big can defend well. I'm not suggesting her as a full-time pf but maybe situational in which most teams don't have good bigs. Maybe a situational 4 as well as a situational 1. But again maybe she can't play it all. I can't find much videos on her in good games and the link below maybe she was just lucky grabbing 8 rebounds in a tight game of which 5 were OREB.

I definitely though see her as you do as a wing. But how knows? Maybe in wcbb and maybe for this team she can play up to the 4 at times or maybe more? Unless Anna at times can be a 4? Right now I see Aubrey at the 4. But what makes soph Aubrey a 4 vs sr aged Evina? Probably the 1 in ch in height? Probably. Obviously not ideal.

Edwards-- I see her just as you. A 4/5. I don't see her as a sf at all. She is another wish I had more tape.

Mir-- I agree with you. Not sure offensively where she fits in. Is she better guarding quick laterally or better guarding the post as long as they aren't too big? IS she a good passer meaning maybe she shoots better than Aubrey so you could put her the high in a high low? And just because you have her on the high as a high low it may not means you have to run the offense through the high. If for example Evina and Paige are in together they could hit Mir for mid range shots. Or even if you have her on the perimeter-- and she isn't much of a threat you could still have Paige, Evina and either Anna or CWill with Olivia and you still would be able to run a good offense.

Reaction Score
I think you nailed everything.

Nika-- a pg (1) only. I have no idea what to expect from her. None. Don't know if she'll be in regular rotation or maybe be terrific. And I don't know if she can play fast or mostly just play in halfcourt. Obviously it would be super if she can be a legit pg able to play in nay style and do it well.

Paige-- a pg (1) a sg (2) and a sf (3). It's hard to separate the 2 and 3 spots. In addition some teams small forwards play like sg's. And some bigger teams purposely play their sf outside because their 4's and 5's are more suited to being inside or 15 feet and in.

Evina-- a pg (1), a sg (2), a sf (3), a pf (4). I really don't know about her at the 4 but I wish I could watch the the below game. And I'm not sure if she a natural pg. In regards to her playing pf-- not every team plays big. Secondly, not every team that plays big can defend well. I'm not suggesting her as a full-time pf but maybe situational in which most teams don't have good bigs. Maybe a situational 4 as well as a situational 1. But again maybe she can't play it all. I can't find much videos on her in good games and the link below maybe she was just lucky grabbing 8 rebounds in a tight game of which 5 were OREB.

I definitely though see her as you do as a wing. But how knows? Maybe in wcbb and maybe for this team she can play up to the 4 at times or maybe more? Unless Anna at times can be a 4? Right now I see Aubrey at the 4. But what makes soph Aubrey a 4 vs sr aged Evina? Probably the 1 in ch in height? Probably. Obviously not ideal.

Edwards-- I see her just as you. A 4/5. I don't see her as a sf at all. She is another wish I had more tape.

Mir-- I agree with you. Not sure offensively where she fits in. Is she better guarding quick laterally or better guarding the post as long as they aren't too big? IS she a good passer meaning maybe she shoots better than Aubrey so you could put her the high in a high low? And just because you have her on the high as a high low it may not means you have to run the offense through the high. If for example Evina and Paige are in together they could hit Mir for mid range shots. Or even if you have her on the perimeter-- and she isn't much of a threat you could still have Paige, Evina and either Anna or CWill with Olivia and you still would be able to run a good offense.

Some additional thoughts, I think the offense can survive one athlete that might not fit in the scheme like Mir or Aubrey but it would be difficult if they were both in at the same time. As for Nika, I have watched her videos and feel confident that her passing is near Paige, she pushes the ball every chance she gets to create a fast break opportunity, and in the half court creates for others off the pick and roll, and goes hard to the basket as well. On defense she gets many clean breakaway steals of the dribble and looks good and aggressive on that end.

The downside is I think her shot is suspect. I don't know if defenses will lay off her or not. She hits some mid-range pull ups, but I think her shots are usually a three or a hard drive to the hoop. She also puts up good rebounding numbers at least in her league, so to me the scoring/shooting is the only concern, everything else looks good at least from the highlights.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If the sports advertising and promotion department is smart, they would capitalize on her beautiful smile, and feature her on some posters/team advertisements in the near future. She's very photogenic. I wish I had a smile like that. :D
Anybody asking the men’s team players to smile pretty for promotional materials?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Stick to basketball, people
HN this is not basketball related, but WHO is your avatar? She is familiar but I can't place her. It must be my old age catching up with me, or the fact that I've been basically under house arrest because of my son's orders that I stay inside as much as possible since I have underlying conditions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think they will all be very good and that includes Mir, even though you don't think highly of her. I believe she will surprise you, especially when she learns the system.
Surprises can work both way. I presume you mean in a good way and I hope you are right. Last UCONN player to surprise me in the way I presume you are thinking? Stephanie Dolson

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
HN this is not basketball related, but WHO is your avatar? She is familiar but I can't place her. It must be my old age catching up with me, or the fact that I've been basically under house arrest because of my son's orders that I stay inside as much as possible since I have underlying conditions.
She is Yennefer of Vengerberg, a sorceress in the Netflix series called The Witcher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom