Other School's Non-Conference Schedules | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Other School's Non-Conference Schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What about North Carolina-Downstate? Afraid?

Not at all..... Duke played them i think 2 years ago.... beat them by like 70-80 points......there was no rematch :p

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee has a good chance to win both games. Last year Harrison played on a hurt ankle vs Stanford.
Winning at Maples is as hard as winning at TBA (for visiting teams). And I seem to remember that Stanford had at least one player out
last Dec.
Tenn certainly has the talent to win both games.

Reaction Score
I know you wrote this over a month ago, but it brings up a trend worth pointing out. The Big 12 teams generally have ridiculously easy OOC schedules, and their gaudy records going into the conference portion of their schedule seem to elevate their conference RPI. For the past few seasons, Baylor bucked that trend by having an excellent OOC schedule, but this season, it is pathetic: UConn, Kentucky, and teams ranked over 200th in Sagarin. As the OOC schedules are being released, almost all the Big 12 schools have just terrible OOC schedules, as is pointed out within this thread on RebKell (LINK). The best Big 12 schedule (released thus far) is probably Oklahoma, followed by Texas (believe it or not). But Texas Tech, Iowa State, and WV have weak schedules. There were Big East teams that had weak OOC schedules, but how many were top 25ish teams that did it?
That's a point I made at an earlier time. It's really easy to pad a schedule OOC and with a decent record in your conference, voila. You are a top ten or maybe even a top 5 team because it seems most voters in the polls don't seem to notice. They just base their teams on their won-lost record. Maybe Baylor's out of conference record was due to the fact they knew they were losing most of their starting lineup in the upcoming season and wanted to do everything they could to insure a great OOC record.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Or maybe Mulkey knew that other than Sims and Prince that none of her players have ever played full games and wanted to build up their confidence.

I suspect that Baylor will lose to UCONN and UK but hopefully they will be ready to compete by conference. That will be their chance to build their RPI. Otherwise it could have been building their RIP.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
But Baylor's schedule is WAY to easy for a team with 4 McDonald's AAs. There is no reason that Mulkey could not have scheduled some top 25 teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think we as fans maybe overstate the importance of OOC scheduling. As a fan experience it sure helps to see great teams play OOC, but so many factors go into the equation in setting up an OOC headlined by money - ADs want home games because of expenses of travel and gate receipts, coaches and players want them because it is less disruptive to the academic side of things and the normal practice schedules. Only a few women's teams make a profit so the expense issue is more serious than fans realize. And then there is the issue with actually working out scheduling between teams for home and homes as decent teams are not interested in one off road games and some are not interested in competing up, or are annoyed with past recruiting losses or whatever.
One hopes that the big and successful programs will schedule good competition and mostly they do. I think the ACC and the Big12 have maybe been the worst offenders in terms of top conference teams playing dreadful OOCs - Maryland and UNC stood out for a number of years with gaudy w/l records to start the season. And I am a little disappointed in Baylor this year after a few really good OOC schedules. The Pac10 gets a little leeway in my view in that there are fewer OOC good teams available in easy travel distance and it is hard to schedule more than one eastern trip with one or two decent teams. Much easier for the other BCS conferences to find quality games at reasonable distances.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
For a moment I thought you said Paco gets some leeway. So I thought since when does anyone here get leeway.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
In some ways, you would be truly surprised.

As I input schedules I have traditionally been blown away by how weak - or more accurately, how few good teams - are scheduled by so many programs. In the old BE, Syracuse was good at weak scheduling, for example. UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee, often Rutgers were in classes by themselves.

KBA - I remember that Rutgers often had a tough schedule. What's their OOC looking like this coming season?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know you wrote this over a month ago, but it brings up a trend worth pointing out. The Big 12 teams generally have ridiculously easy OOC schedules, and their gaudy records going into the conference portion of their schedule seem to elevate their conference RPI. For the past few seasons, Baylor bucked that trend by having an excellent OOC schedule, but this season, it is pathetic: UConn, Kentucky, and teams ranked over 200th in Sagarin. As the OOC schedules are being released, almost all the Big 12 schools have just terrible OOC schedules, as is pointed out within this thread on RebKell (LINK). The best Big 12 schedule (released thus far) is probably Oklahoma, followed by Texas (believe it or not). But Texas Tech, Iowa State, and WV have weak schedules. There were Big East teams that had weak OOC schedules, but how many were top 25ish teams that did it?

The Big 12 fans will point to their conference being the #1 rated RPI conference as justification for not having to play a tough OOC schedule.

Such hatred! Duke is stacked; you shouldn't have any trouble beating North Carolina for the next few years.

What makes you think that I have hatred for UNC ? :rolleyes:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
KBA - I remember that Rutgers often had a tough schedule. What's their OOC looking like this coming season?

Not really sure. The one game that I'm sure about is that we play LSU in a Thanksgiving tournament in Brooklyn. I'm not sure if Tennessee is still on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Duke: Away games vs Cal, Kentucky, Marquette, Oklahoma. Neutral site games vs Kansas, Xavier, and Central Michigan. Home games vs: Purdue, Vandy, Old Dominion, Alabama, South Carolina-Upstate, Albany, and UCONN :oops:

Pretty solid schedule in my opinion. If we cant get to #1 in the AP.. perhaps we can get to #1 in the SOS ;)
After Uconn, Cal and Kentucky, schedule drops off.........

Reaction Score
Kentucky's Non Conference Schedule.

Two away games vs. "mid majors" @ Marist, @ MTSU

Pretty good schedule for the most part.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/kty-w-baskbl-sched.html

11/08/13 at Marist Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

11/10/13 at Wagner Staten Island, N.Y.

11/13/13 vs. Georgia Southern Lexington, Ky.

11/17/13 vs. Central Michigan Lexington, Ky.

11/21/13 vs. Lipscomb Lexington, Ky.

11/24/13 at Middle Tennessee State Murfreesboro, Tenn.

11/27/13 vs. Bradley Lexington, Ky.

12/01/13 vs. Louisville Lexington, Ky.

12/06/13 vs. Baylor Arlington, Texas

12/12/13 at Depaul Chicago, Ill.

12/15/13 vs. ETSU Lexington, Ky.

12/22/13 vs. Duke Lexington, Ky.

12/29/13 vs. Grambling St. Lexington, Ky.
The 40 minutes of "DREAD", Mitchell talked about, was playing UCONN

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The weak OOC Schedule is why most teams average attendance of less then 1,000 fans per game. That's even with games costing less then $20.00 to attend. I know I wouldn't bother to attend if I barely knew the name of the school my team was playing. Its also why teams can't even get their own students to attend games. Improve the schedule and do some marketing and you can get fans to start attending.

I think we as fans maybe overstate the importance of OOC scheduling. As a fan experience it sure helps to see great teams play OOC, but so many factors go into the equation in setting up an OOC headlined by money - ADs want home games because of expenses of travel and gate receipts, coaches and players want them because it is less disruptive to the academic side of things and the normal practice schedules. Only a few women's teams make a profit so the expense issue is more serious than fans realize. And then there is the issue with actually working out scheduling between teams for home and homes as decent teams are not interested in one off road games and some are not interested in competing up, or are annoyed with past recruiting losses or whatever.
One hopes that the big and successful programs will schedule good competition and mostly they do. I think the ACC and the Big12 have maybe been the worst offenders in terms of top conference teams playing dreadful OOCs - Maryland and UNC stood out for a number of years with gaudy w/l records to start the season. And I am a little disappointed in Baylor this year after a few really good OOC schedules. The Pac10 gets a little leeway in my view in that there are fewer OOC good teams available in easy travel distance and it is hard to schedule more than one eastern trip with one or two decent teams. Much easier for the other BCS conferences to find quality games at reasonable distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom