OT: Vehicle Buying Advice: Round XXX | The Boneyard

OT: Vehicle Buying Advice: Round XXX

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Time for the semi-monthly vehicle buying request and time for the BY's collective gearhead knowledge bank.

Need: Vehicle for me.

Requirements:
1. Good ride. Spend lots of time between commute and shuttling teenagers (plus their friends of course)
2. Tow 5k lbs. short distances (24' boat and trailer). Selectable 4x4, AWD or full time 4WD are highly preferable
3. Gas mileage above 20 mpg hwy
4. Reliability.

Cost: $25k or less. This will be a used vehicle.

Vehicles considering:
1. 2013-2014 Acura MDX
2. 2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3. 2014-2017 Nissan Pathfinder

Acura is big in the lead right now.

Jeep's reliability scared the bejeesus out of me.
Nissan's CVT transmissions are equally frightening.
Acura requires premium fuel but I'd fill up on regular most of the time.

Newer Honda Pilots are still holding resale. Older ones suck on mpg.

Toyota 4 Runners suck gas. Highlanders are at tow limit.

Vehicle is being used down south. Driving in snow isn't a consideration.

Creature comforts like remote start and remote door/hatch are highly desirable.

I'd consider crew size trucks as well.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Time for the semi-monthly vehicle buying request and time for the BY's collective gearhead knowledge bank.

Requirements:
1. Good ride. Spend lots of time between commute and shuttling teenagers (plus their friends of course)
2. Tow 5k lbs. short distances (24' boat and trailer). Selectable 4x4, AWD or full time 4WD are highly preferable
4. Reliability.

Vehicles considering:
1. 2013-2014 Acura MDX

My 04 four runner died in June and I bought a
2016 Pathfinder. I didn’t think I’d like it because it’s a totally different truck compared to the four runner. Love it. Nice ride with a lot more tech. Rides like a car with the room of a family SUV.

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee a short time ago and it had major mechanical issues. I had to get rid of it and never considered buying another one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Acura’s are reliable with few problems and I always used regular with no problems, even the salespeople are divided on this. Sometimes on holidays I would feed premium as a treat.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Definitely check out the Mazda CX9. Has seating for 7 if you need it. Well built, comfortable and decent gas mileage for an SUV. Our daughter-in-law drives one - great vehicle. Our son was sales manager for a Mazda dealer for a while.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You thought about a Mazda CX-9?

Unless I've read soec sheets wrong, I think it Max's out at 3500 lbs. I can get away with 4500 pounds but 3500 is too low. For the midsize SUV market most of the be top outat 3500.

Otherwise, I've heard nothing but good about CX-9.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Unless I've read soec sheets wrong, I think it Max's out at 3500 lbs. I can get away with 4500 pounds but 3500 is too low. For the midsize SUV market most of the be top outat 3500.

Otherwise, I've heard nothing but good about CX-9.
Just bought a brand new CX5 and we’re loving it. I have no knowledge of towing capacity haha.

Reaction Score
I have a 2014 MDX. I like a lot about it. Drives really well. Convenient access to back seats. Only real issue I have is the tech and UI in general suck. Bad gps and and controls.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We bought a new one in 2016 because the used ones were still holding their value then, even though they were the older style. With such a low interest rate for the new one, and a five-year loan, the monthly nut was lower than it would have been for the used ones we were considering. Since we typically drive our cars into the ground it was a good choice for us (we were getting out of an Odyssey with more than 240,000 miles).

The newer ones must be holding their values even better because we get phone calls and e-mails from the dealership every week offering a brand new 2019 for the same monthly payments we have now if we want to trade in our 2016. We're not interested, but that doesn't seem to stop them from asking repeatedly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wife has a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. It's nice for a Fiat.

Well done. How is it overall? 3.6 or 5.7 2WD or 4WD? It's a Summit so safe to assume leather?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I have a 4 cylinder 4x4 tacoma in a 5 speed manual and it's awesome. You'd need the 6 cylinder if you wanted to tow a boat, but I'd definitely recommend it as a vehicle.

Reaction Score
Had a 04 GC. Died in May. Had a lot of electrical issues.

My 12 MDX is still going strong, although I'd make sure that the Bluetooth module around those years had some issues and would drain the battery. I ripped mine out anyways.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have a 4 cylinder 4x4 tacoma in a 5 speed manual and it's awesome. You'd need the 6 cylinder if you wanted to tow a boat, but I'd definitely recommend it as a vehicle.

Tacomas are great.

Had a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 for a few years. Traded it in about 5 years after I bought it and got 75% of price I bought it new. They still hold their value. One of the top 5 models every year for maintaining value. Getting anything in my price range means buying with close to 100k miles. Also, as my kids got older those back seats started getting real small.

I've looked at some Tundras and GMC Sierras. Haven't been able to find the price/feature/mileage combo I want yet.

Reaction Score
I drive a 2013 Tacoma Extended Cab Long-Bed with a towing package but 2WD. Gets about 20 mpg still with 80,000 plus miles. Just bought new tires but that's all I"'ve had to do other regular maintenance. Sits 4 or 5 adults in comfort. Love it!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had a 04 GC. Died in May. Had a lot of electrical issues.

My 12 MDX is still going strong, although I'd make sure that the Bluetooth module around those years had some issues and would drain the battery. I ripped mine out anyways.

@ZenConn ,
You ripped out your Bluetooth module??

About how many miles do you have?

Supposedly the SH-AWD gives it real strong traction and handling in all weather conditions.

Reaction Score
@ZenConn ,
You ripped out your Bluetooth module??

About how many miles do you have?

Supposedly the SH-AWD gives it real strong traction and handling in all weather conditions.

I have 72k miles on my MDX. Regular oil changes and whatever they recommend.
Traction is pretty good and even better with good snow tires. The 3rd row is good for transporting small children. A bit small for teenagers.

They have this Bluetooth hands free module and some are bad with parasitic draw which drains the battery. I went through two batteries from this so I decided not to spend more money to replace it.

Class-Action Suit Accuses Honda Of Selling Acura Vehicles With Battery-Draining Defect

Reaction Score
4-Runner - Will last forever, will go anywhere, yeah you'll spend more in gas, but depending on how much you drive every year probably not enough to kill you.

I'm biased of course as I have a slew of 1970's Land Crusiers that I drive throughout the year and my bride has a 100 series Land Cruiser as her winter sled and that gets between 13-16 mpg which sucks - but I know I'll probably have 300-400K relatively trouble-free miles before I get something new or decide to do a rebuild.

You don't need 4LO capability so that opens your options a TON.

I'd also look at a Porsche Cayenne, but it also has so-so mileage, but crazy enough the towing capacity is something like 7-7,500K if I remember correctly, but it's been a few years since I looked at them. Same thing with the Toureg 7-7500 towing capacity. The Toureg did come with a V10 TDI at one point which was a maintenance headache, but man could it tow a house. I can't speak to VW reliability, but Porsche reliability is pretty good based on friends experiences.

The Audi Q7 can tow 7K+ as well, but I"M always dicey on Audi and removing the front of the car to do any significant engine work - but they are nice looking cars, but I'd get on a Audi forum and suss the hell out of what the issue are with them, especially if you can't or don't want to DYI.

Reaction Score
Bought my son a 2014 XTerra. A little less plush or tech. But rugged, solid for this range of car and that engine will last forever.

Reaction Score
I had an mdx and now have the Jeep overland. The mdx is a much more car like ride. Never any problems. But I was never really enamored with it. I think I like the more off road ride of the Jeep.

One thing to consider. The pilot and mdx are basically the same substrate with different finishes.

Reaction Score

Requirements:
4. Reliability.

Vehicles considering:
1. 2013-2014 Acura MDX

My wifes been through them all. The Jeep Gand Cherokee always were excellent very few issues of any proportion in 3 in a row she had going back to the late 90's-2000's. Since 2010 she's had various including the Mazda CX9 which I find to have been the best of the lot she's had. As Housekey said seats 7, nice power and drive solid overall car good looking too. Her company has gone to company cars so she now has a loaded Rogue which is nice but not for you or me. Our company just went from Ford to Nissan also so I will be offered the Pathfinder which is a decent ride but not as good as my Explorer now which I would recommend you check out, good solid SUV which I like even on longer drives. My son had an Acura car TL it was one of the nicest rides I've had and man fast so I believe their SUVs have to be sweet. He did just get an Infinity QX35 which is the small combo of SUV/car and it's also a fantastic ride. Guessing their SUVs would be really nice to consider.

Check the Explorer, even if not a Ford fan you will be surprised. I wasn't convinced on choosing that after we had the Taurus offering but really like it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom