OT: Vehicle Buying Advice: Round XXX | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Vehicle Buying Advice: Round XXX

Reaction Score
Nice feedback so far.

This is what I am down to based on availability.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder SL- Second from the top trim level with technology upgrade and trailering package. Has about 38k miles. Red exterior, almond interior. Should get 25 mpg and can tow 5k lbs. Checks off all the boxes I need. Dealter is asking $23k.

2012 Lexus GX 460. Base model. Still loaded. 80k miles. Gold exterior, tan interior. About 20 mpg. Asking $24k.

2013 Acura MDX 3.7L Technology Package. 70k miles, should get about 22-23 mpg. This is the last year of the model run. 2014's and newer get a 3.5L engine and about 3-5 mpg more. Otherwise this is fine. Black with a dark tan interior.

2013 GMC Acadia Denali AWD. 67k miles will get about 22-23 mpg. Mrs. Diesel currently has a 2016 GMC Acadia Denali and I'm well aware of how it functions.

As for some of the other vehicles others have mentioned:

CR-V, RAV-4, CX-5- All great cars. I've owned a CR-V, my parents currently have a CX-5. None of them are close to the towing power I need.

Ford Explorer- Nice option. Nothing in my price range within 100 miles. Newer ones are still in owners hands and mostly you see 10+ year old ones for sale with well over 100k miles. Unfortunately the 2WD models on tow 3,500. Need to step up to AWD or the top of the line engine to get 5,000 lbs towing.

Subaru Legacy- Nice. Max's out around 3500 lbs for towing.

Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner, Honda Ridgeline, Nissan XTerra and Toyota Sequoia- All great choices. Car market where I live either has 1-2 year old models still above $35k (most above $40k) or really old ones with 150k miles. If owners get past the first 25,000 miles or so, they hold on to these vehicles for another decade. Fully aware of the Acura-Honda, Lexus-Toyota and Nissan-Infiniti relationship in their model lineup.

Audi, Porshce, Volvo- Not risking reliability or repair costs.

I'm finishing up a business trip out in California and have working this all online and via email. So nice to do most of the leg work without having to go to dealerships and go through all the crud.

Not much to add other than I mentioned I have a 2014 MDX. Prior to that I had a 2008 MDX which would've been the same model as the 2013 you are looking at. We don't drive a lot, so I think we only had 66k miles on it. We had no issues outside of usual maintenance. Gas mileage did suck though.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nice feedback so far.

This is what I am down to based on availability.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder SL- Second from the top trim level with technology upgrade and trailering package. Has about 38k miles. Red exterior, almond interior. Should get 25 mpg and can tow 5k lbs. Checks off all the boxes I need. Dealter is asking $23k.

2012 Lexus GX 460. Base model. Still loaded. 80k miles. Gold exterior, tan interior. About 20 mpg. Asking $24k.

2013 Acura MDX 3.7L Technology Package. 70k miles, should get about 22-23 mpg. This is the last year of the model run. 2014's and newer get a 3.5L engine and about 3-5 mpg more. Otherwise this is fine. Black with a dark tan interior.

2013 GMC Acadia Denali AWD. 67k miles will get about 22-23 mpg. Mrs. Diesel currently has a 2016 GMC Acadia Denali and I'm well aware of how it functions.

As for some of the other vehicles others have mentioned:

CR-V, RAV-4, CX-5- All great cars. I've owned a CR-V, my parents currently have a CX-5. None of them are close to the towing power I need.

Ford Explorer- Nice option. Nothing in my price range within 100 miles. Newer ones are still in owners hands and mostly you see 10+ year old ones for sale with well over 100k miles. Unfortunately the 2WD models on tow 3,500. Need to step up to AWD or the top of the line engine to get 5,000 lbs towing.

Subaru Legacy- Nice. Max's out around 3500 lbs for towing.

Honda Pilot, Toyota 4Runner, Honda Ridgeline, Nissan XTerra and Toyota Sequoia- All great choices. Car market where I live either has 1-2 year old models still above $35k (most above $40k) or really old ones with 150k miles. If owners get past the first 25,000 miles or so, they hold on to these vehicles for another decade. Fully aware of the Acura-Honda, Lexus-Toyota and Nissan-Infiniti relationship in their model lineup.

Audi, Porshce, Volvo- Not risking reliability or repair costs.

I'm finishing up a business trip out in California and have working this all online and via email. So nice to do most of the leg work without having to go to dealerships and go through all the crud.

I may get a GX 460 myself. Gas mileage is terrible but it is an absolute tank. Indestructible and reliable, as a rebadged luxo spec Land Rover Cruiser Prado should be. Resale value on them is very high, even up to 200k miles.

Side comment, I am not fond of parking overly long or wide cars in my garage or elsewhere. All the other three on your list are a lot wider and longer than the GX.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I may get a GX 460 myself. Gas mileage is terrible but it is an absolute tank. Indestructible and reliable, as a rebadged luxo spec Land Rover Prado should be. Resale value on them is very high, even up to 200k miles.

Side comment, I am not fond of parking overly long or wide cars in my garage or elsewhere. All the other three on your list are a lot wider and longer than the GX.

Uh, absolutely not a Land Rover Prado - as a member of many Land Cruiser forums you should be stoned for saying that. You can take a Rover or a Jeep deep into it, but if you want to get back take a Land Cruiser.

Resale on Land Cruiser, Prado, etc. in all variants is very high because there's company documentation that Toyota builds each for a useful life of 350K.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Uh, absolutely not a Land Rover Prado - as a member of many Land Cruiser forums you should be stoned for saying that. You can take a Rover or a Jeep deep into it, but if you want to get back take a Land Cruiser.

Resale on Land Cruiser, Prado, etc. in all variants is very high because there's company documentation that Toyota builds each for a useful life of 350K.

That was a typo by me. Land Cruiser Prado (not Land Rover Prado). The GX 460 is absolutely a Land Cruiser Prado.

Reaction Score
That was a typo by me. Land Cruiser Prado (not Land Rover Prado). The GX 460 is absolutely a Land Cruiser Prado.

Of course I knew that - but co-mingling those two deserves scorn - that's from the Land Cruiser nerd in me

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Of course I knew that - but co-mingling those two deserves scorn - that's from the Land Cruiser nerd in me

Scorn accepted. While many Land Rover/Jag products appeal to me I won't touch them. A colleague at work has a Jag F-Pace. They came to get it for a routine, free oil change, and left him a LR Discovery Sport loaner. They kept it for 8 days. For an oil change.

Reaction Score
Scorn accepted. While many Land Rover/Jag products appeal to me I won't touch them. A colleague at work has a Jag F-Pace. They came to get it for a routine, free oil change, and left him a LR Discovery Sport loaner. They kept it for 8 days. For an oil change.
First they had to drill...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To wrap up this round of car buying, I ended up getting a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L.

It was much older than I anticipated, but it had everything I needed and price was right. Also passed eye test of my daughter who insisted I not get a "mom car". She was really pining for a crew cab pick up truck but she said Pilots and Grand Cherokees were manly.

Tows 4500 lbs and got me 23 mpg on a 150 mixed use trip.

I had a few Jeep Grand Cherokee and Nissan Pathfinder I was looking at, but the Honda undercut them by $3k-$5k.

A trip back along technology lane. A 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L has hands free Bluetooth, XM Serius, leather seats which were pristine (Driver's seat was more worn but still nothing wrong), 4 12V / USB outlets, heated front seats, rear A/C, tow package with integrated 7 pin connector, variable cylinder management V-6......................

It's a Honda and their 3.5L is in millions of Pilots, Odysseys and Ridgelines.

Whether you are looking new or used, it's a golden age of quality vehicles that cater to your every need.

I'll use it for 2-3 years before my daughter takes it over for senior year of HS and college. Once her college costs are funded, I'll have a bit more fun with car shopping.

Reaction Score
To wrap up this round of car buying, I ended up getting a 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L.

It was much older than I anticipated, but it had everything I needed and price was right. Also passed eye test of my daughter who insisted I not get a "mom car". She was really pining for a crew cab pick up truck but she said Pilots and Grand Cherokees were manly.

Tows 4500 lbs and got me 23 mpg on a 150 mixed use trip.

I had a few Jeep Grand Cherokee and Nissan Pathfinder I was looking at, but the Honda undercut them by $3k-$5k.

A trip back along technology lane. A 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L has hands free Bluetooth, XM Serius, leather seats which were pristine (Driver's seat was more worn but still nothing wrong), 4 12V / USB outlets, heated front seats, rear A/C, tow package with integrated 7 pin connector, variable cylinder management V-6.......

It's a Honda and their 3.5L is in millions of Pilots, Odysseys and Ridgelines.

Whether you are looking new or used, it's a golden age of quality vehicles that cater to your every need.

I'll use it for 2-3 years before my daughter takes it over for senior year of HS and college. Once her college costs are funded, I'll have a bit more fun with car shopping.
Hondas are manly....said no man ever.

Thing is likely bullet proof and will make a great car for your daughter in a few years. Good luck with it.

Reaction Score
As you can see from the CFP thread on the football board I'm rocking some white crew socks tonight. Just to mess with my kids I am so close to going for the New Balance white on white dad sneakers.
I've tried to burn that image from my memory.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I replied to the vehicle buying advice thread. Not sure what you’re whining about.

Don’t be a dick. The thread goes back a long time. Your post was meaningless because nobody could tell what the “good question” you referenced is.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah good question, I’m in the market myself.

Well, if you are looking at a sedan, you have a gluttony of choices. With gas prices low, owners are trading them in for SUV's and manufacturers have an overage of built vehicles. Do a Google search of vehicles being discontinued in 2019. If you can find any 2018's of those models sitting on dealer's lots, you may be able to get a very nice new vehicle at rock bottom prices.

Reaction Score
My wife drives the 2013 Durango with 5.7 liter. Citadel version. Will tow more than you need with ease.

We have 134k on it. Regularly maintained. Yes, I get it's a Dodge but it's been pretty trouble free up to this point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom