OT: USA v Jamaica WCQ @ Kingston | The Boneyard

OT: USA v Jamaica WCQ @ Kingston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have just taken the lead 1 - 0 late first half on a cross to Altidore who heads it in.

BeInSport

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well that would have been pretty poor if we had dropped those two points, managed to snatch victory from the jaws of a draw that would have felt as bad as defeat. Onward.

Reaction Score
SO far we have maximum home points and 4 away points. We have the upper hand in qualifying and Jamaica is done. If we win the next two, it would take disaster to not make up.

Now if Mexico can start actually winning some games we would be in a much better position...

Reaction Score
Good to see Altidore showing up a little more consistently. I have no doubts we will finish top 3 in The Hex, but our back line is horrendous. They seem lost on set pieces and allow too many people to run free in the box. I don't know if it is poor communication, confusion of scheme, or L.O.F.T (lack of fecunditying talent), but without major improvement over the next 12 months we will not advance to the knockout stage of the WC.

Reaction Score
What is wrong with them on the counter attack? They are fumbling the ball around out there. They can't seem to control it.

I had thoughts that the Jamaican pitch was bad. Could that explain it?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

It was actually pretty good by the standards of their stadium. They just had a huge track meet there this week (where Gatlin beat Bolt), so they had the grass in top shape to begin with for appearances.

Reaction Score
What is wrong with them on the counter attack? They are fumbling the ball around out there. They can't seem to control it.

No speed. Some skills but no one outruns anyone.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's less about the speed and more about the first touch and the passing. We don't have the skill sets to counter-attack; plain and simple. If you look at classical counter-attack teams of the past (i.e., Italy or Holland), the ball goes from end-to-end by touching the foot of four different players "one-touch" in about 5 seconds. In other words, it's the ball running faster, not the players running faster.

The US has made a living off of having an extremely fit and fast soccer team for about 2 decades now. It's not the speed. It's the first touch quality. We don't have it (with the exception of perhaps Dempsey)...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's the first touch quality. We don't have it (with the exception of perhaps Dempsey)...

That's true, but they still have their moments. Altidore's goal was against Germany was the result of two 1st touches.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's less about the speed and more about the first touch and the passing. We don't have the skill sets to counter-attack; plain and simple. If you look at classical counter-attack teams of the past (i.e., Italy or Holland), the ball goes from end-to-end by touching the foot of four different players "one-touch" in about 5 seconds. In other words, it's the ball running faster, not the players running faster.

The US has made a living off of having an extremely fit and fast soccer team for about 2 decades now. It's not the speed. It's the first touch quality. We don't have it (with the exception of perhaps Dempsey)...

This^^^^. Though it has improved greatly over the years, we still have a few club foots on the first team. In 90, 94, and 98 there was no more than one or two guys who had an international level first touch.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wish I could have seen this game. I have no idea what channel "BeInSport" is. Anyone going to the Costa Rica Gold Cup game at the Rent?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have a group going to that game.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That's true, but they still have their moments. Altidore's goal was against Germany was the result of two 1st touches.

And I wouldn't classify the Altidore goal as a "counter-attack" either. A nice build up, a beautiful cross from Zusi in the corner, and a very fine volley finish from Altidore. But not a counter...

EDIT: I'll call it a pseudo-counter, because they covered a lot of ground in a short period of time, but the Germans outnumbered us in the box 6-2. Still, it was a classy goal! :cool:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And I wouldn't classify the Altidore goal as a "counter-attack" either. A nice build up, a beautiful cross from Zusi in the corner, and a very fine volley finish from Altidore. But not a counter...

EDIT: I'll call it a pseudo-counter, because they covered a lot of ground in a short period of time, but the Germans outnumbered us in the box 6-2. Still, it was a classy goal! :cool:

A pseudo-counter? Suck it up and call it what it was: a counter-attack. Only 4 in the box when the ball was played in and no one was marking Altidore. This video shows that attack from the beginning. Start at the 1:50 mark.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
A pseudo-counter? Suck it up and call it what it was: a counter-attack.

You can't call it a counter attack when the opposing team has three times as many defenders in the box as you have attackers. It means they clearly weren't on the attack for you to "counter-attack" against, right? I was just trying to give you props for pointing out that the US squad showed first-touch quality there. And I'm still willing to give you props for that. And I really like the way that Zusi is developing....I think he is the right winger of the future for this team...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You can't call it a counter attack when the opposing team has three times as many defenders in the box as you have attackers.

Oh, BS. Three of the guys in the box weren't anywhere near Altidore, two were barely in the box at all. Altidore wasn't even marked, because the one guy near him was back on his heels.

Germany was advancing when USA intercepted a pass and immediately advanced the ball - 2-touch, 2-touch, 1-touch, carry and pass, 1-touch, 1-touch, Goal! The defense wasn't close to being set. That's a counter-attack in any country or league in the world.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh, BS. Three of the guys in the box weren't anywhere near Altidore, two were barely in the box at all. Altidore wasn't even marked, because the one guy near him was back on his heels.

Germany was advancing when USA intercepted a pass and immediately advanced the ball - 2-touch, 2-touch, 1-touch, carry and pass, 1-touch, 1-touch, Goal! The defense wasn't close to being set. That's a counter-attack in any country or league in the world.

Your statement contradicted your point.

Yes, I agree; Germany did a horrible job marking Altidore, as three of the guys were nowhere near him. There were five defenders in the box without argument and we can argue the sixth. I also agree with your assessment of "2-touch, 2-touch, 1-touch, carry and pass, 1-touch, 1-touch, Goal!" Also, by definition, not a counter-attack. That's just an attack. We were unarguably outnumbered two to one in the box during the attack. That's just not a counter. But it's a really really nice goal, so it's okay...

Reaction Score
I am more encouraged than I have been with ball movement. We are not Spain, but the ball is beginning to flow much better. Altidore finding space. Zusi is probably their best player right now and will be missed against Honduras. Germany mailed the game in I thought, but Jamaica HAD to win to stay alive. We still managed find space.

The Jamaican goal, as best I could see on the 3 x 5 card live streaming, was offsides. The guy camped behind the wall and I am sure that every defense-man was waiting for a flag to go up. But Howard should have come out on that. Bad play on his part.

Looking forward to Honduras on Tuesday. I am mad that I will be on vacation for Costa Rica.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also, by definition, not a counter-attack. That's just an attack. We were unarguably outnumbered two to one in the box during the attack.

Everyone was running one way and in an instant everyone was running the other way. It was 1 v 1 right in front of the goal. 1 v 0 actually. I admit you know more soccer than I do, but you're wrong here. Admit it and move on. Or are you of those guys that makes it a point to condescendingly say "pitch" whenever someone says "field" or "keeper" whenever they say "goalie"?

Reaction Score
I wish I could have seen this game. I have no idea what channel "BeInSport" is. Anyone going to the Costa Rica Gold Cup game at the Rent?

Will be at the game with 4-6.

Reaction Score
Zusi a guy with good skills but no flat out speed. Got to have him out there but having someone to get the ball to with pace would help him. Back in the days of Cobi Jones we'd just send it down and hope for someone to run on or force a turnover. We've come far from that for the better. But without Donovan we seem to lack pace. Actually we lose more than just that but we do need some more pace to open things up further for Dempsey, Altidore and Zusi. Another option for Bradley to pass to who can also pressure the ball. Just one observation but point well taken on the inconsistency of quick accurate passing. I have been a huge fan of Spanish football for decades for just that reason.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Everyone was running one way and in an instant everyone was running the other way. It was 1 v 1 right in front of the goal. 1 v 0 actually. I admit you know more soccer than I do, but you're wrong here. Admit it and move on. Or are you of those guys that makes it a point to condescendingly say "pitch" whenever someone says "field" or "keeper" whenever they say "goalie"?

Dude, if you believe that it was a 1 vs. 1 or a "1 v 0 actually", then there is no point to arguing further. Both your video and mine show that the US was outnumbered in the box and that it was a matter of extremely poor marking, not a matter of the Germans getting caught out on an attack (hence the words "counter-attack").

It was a great goal. It was a great result. But just call it what it was....or don't, it doesn't matter. I'm just letting you know what it wasn't...

Reaction Score
Enough with that goal against Germany. Howabout that game against Panama last night? Thats the best I've seen them play in a long time. Easily could have been 3 or 4 nil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom