OT: This was not the Patriots year. We knew that. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: This was not the Patriots year. We knew that.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
To be honest , Foles is not your traditional
Back-up QB. He went to the team / system he had success with. I just thought it would take him some time to get the timing down with the recievers and that happened.

Reaction Score
They were favored right up to the second Brady dropped the football.

And they were playing a team with its backup quarterback.

Horrible loss. Horrible. Worried about the future - aging quarterback, no backup plan, a coach who just had his invincibility bubble popped.

Dicey times.
Aren't you a Vikings fan?

That Brady fumble is going to be hard to forget. Giselle certainly was not pleased. Poor Tom.

Reaction Score
BTW, both reviews on Eagles TDs were called correctly. So pats fans can Shut up about that. On the second especially, clearly he was a runner regardless of what chris c wants to say.

I also do not get how CT residents can be Pats fans...
I detest everything about the organization

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Aren't you a Vikings fan?

That Brady fumble is going to be hard to forget. Giselle certainly was not pleased. Poor Tom.

Yup.

I’ve been a Vikings’ fan long enough to remember when Patriot fans were still Giant fans.

Tom Brady will forget about that fumble at about 8:30 tomorrow morning when he wakes and finds out that he’s still Tom Brady.

Reaction Score
This seems like fake news. No connection to the Pats down there for any reason.

It could be that New Haven is in New England, and that Foxboro is as close to New Haven as the Meadowlands, without any of the hassle. And the biggest factor: the Patriots were very good when I began watching them in 76. I also went to school in Boston and lived there after. Half my neighborhood was full of Patriots fans. They were on TV every weekend.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t know. I’m a giants fan.

You have to get to Super Bowls to win and lose them. I've watched my team in 10 of them. Lost half of them. I will be over this one the quickest of all.

Rodney Harrison was not wrong when he said, "How in the world are the Patriots even in the Super Bowl with this defense?" He already had the answers to that question though: Brady and Gronk.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It could be that New Haven is in New England, and that Foxboro is as close to New Haven as the Meadowlands, without any of the hassle. And the biggest factor: the Patriots were very good when I began watching them in 76. I also went to school in Boston and lived there after. Half my neighborhood was full of Patriots fans. They were on TV every weekend.
No. The AFC was minor league compared to the NFC, at least until the Steelers and Dolphins had some success and grabbed front runner fans. The Giants played home games for a year or two in the Yale Bowl. The Patriots were dog poo in the 70’s.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No. The AFC was minor league compared to the NFC, at least until the Steelers and Dolphins had some success and grabbed front runner fans. The Giants played home games for a year or two in the Yale Bowl. The Patriots were dog poo in the 70’s.
I looked up the historical record. Below .500 for the decade and 2 playoff appearances, losing in the first round both times. Enough to make you a fan, but I doubt most of New Haven was on board.

Reaction Score

I'm not an old geezer like you.

Reaction Score
Meh. I thought the team that played better won. Better team? IDK. They seemed about evenly matched.
Fact is, Pats could not get the stop when they needed it. Foles hit some clutch throws throughout. Play calling by the Eagles was ballsy. Went for it on 4th. Went for TD instead of FG. They played the game they needed to play to win.
Pats seemed like they were always one play behind, right up until they took the lead, which they promptly surrendered.
Once, early, Pats went for it on 4th and did not make it. Should have kicked FG or punted to trap them deep. Un-patriot's like call led to bad result.
Not concerned about Brady's fumble. Guy came in low, out of his periphery - nice play. Not much you can do about that.
Ref calls on the catches were good calls. Well officiated game.
All in all, Patriots need to get better on D - offense was fine. Get Edelman back, add one speed guy, and you're fine. Need help on D. Hightower and draft a couple guys.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Gotta love all these arbitrary distinctions and rules for fandom. I was a fan of the Pats even when they sucked but let’s get real - Would half of the people who went to UConn post 1990 have attended/been fans if not for the Dream Season and later successes? Fandom begins in different ways, and you don’t get a medal just because your dad happened to like a crappy NFL franchise and you stuck with it.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Because I know what I’m talking about? Pats fans in CT started appearing after they hired Parcells. Congrats on being the only kid in New Haven that liked them.

Reaction Score
To be honest , Foles is not your traditional
Back-up QB. He went to the team / system he had success with. I just thought it would take him some time to get the timing down with the recievers and that happened.

Team, yes.
System, no way. Unless you think Chip Kelly was secretly feeding him playcalls.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I'm from New Haven. Graduated HS in '95. I had a social studies teacher who was a Pats fan. My best friend Mike, who didn't care about sports, said he was a Pats fan because it made him unique. That's it. I literally knew 2 Patriots fans. And one of them was a Pats fan to be rebellious. College was when I finally met a huge Pats fan.

My uncle, born and bred in Marblehead, was a huge Niners fan...up until 2001. He denies it now, says he just liked Montana. OK.

I don't blame people for jumping on the bandwagon--Brady is the GOAT in my mind, and it's not really close--but let's not pretend it's the not the biggest bandwagon in sports history. There were a complete afterthought in New England until B&B. Diehard Pats fans between 1985 and 2001 were scarce.

Anyway, I don't mean to argue on a bad night for you. Pats have had an amazing run and they've got as good a chance as anyone at winning next year.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with Upstater. The conclusion I typically come to at the end of an NFL season is that every team is bad. This one was no different, and so while I agree that Pats fans should have known they weren't going to win it this year, Eagles fans could have said the same thing. They were missing arguably their two best players.

Reaction Score
Gotta love all these arbitrary distinctions and rules for fandom. I was a fan of the Pats even when they sucked but let’s get real - Would half of the people who went to UConn post 1990 have attended/been fans if not for the Dream Season and later successes? Fandom begins in different ways, and you don’t get a medal just because your dad happened to like a crappy NFL franchise and you stuck with it.

UConn has just as many fans as ever now!

Anyhow, yes, I lived through Fairbanks, Erhardt, Meyer, Rod Rust and Dick McPherson. Given the tenor of this board lately and the complete disloyalty to UConn, you can bet that these guys would never have stuck with a team through those 2 decades. Then again, the majority of these guys are lame Yankees fans. Talk about frontrunners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom