OT : Tebow to Jets, Sean Payton 1 year suspension | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT : Tebow to Jets, Sean Payton 1 year suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
my reaction to all news:

1. Peyton goes to Broncos: WOW, that's stupid... 49ers are tailor made just need a decent QB
2. Payton goes away for a year: WOW, that's stupid... deplorable actions but a YEAR! Stallworth got 4 games for KILLING A DUDE.
3. Tebow to NYJ: WOW, that's stupid... they already have one QB who can't throw that they JUST EXTENDED

not to mention the 49ers added Moss and Manningham along with having Vernon Davis, have a great running game, defense and special teams, its fine with me though being a Giants fan the NFC is already stacked enough as it is lol, Stallworth was suspended for the season I believe, it was Lenard Little that got 4 games for killing somebody, then he drove drunk after that.

Reaction Score
not to mention the 49ers added Moss and Manningham along with having Vernon Davis, have a great running game, defense and special teams, its fine with me though being a Giants fan the NFC is already stacked enough as it is lol, Stallworth was suspended for the season I believe, it was Lenard Little that got 4 games for killing somebody, then he drove drunk after that.

Leonard little, that's what I meant.

Reaction Score
The suspensions are outrageous. There are rules in place regarding illegal contact. There's nothing at all wrong with a legal hit. The concept of 'bounties' in pro football, is as old as pro football, and i you don't play the game with the intention of physically beating your opponent into submission, you're not playing the game right.

What Goodell is afraid of, is that violence on the football field somehow makes it's way into court. A civil proceeding the NFL can handle, but if it gets to criminal court that could be a problem.

What the idiot just did with these suspensions without pay, instead of just fining them all into poverty for misconduct, is shine a spotlight right on that problem.

Reaction Score
The bounty story is over-hyped. This is common in some shape or form at various levels of football. But I understand why Mack Daddy Roger lowered the boom on them.

Reaction Score
From what I heard, one reason Manning didn't go to SF is Harbaugh would not have let Manning become the OC.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The Payton lied to the NFL about this and that was why he was suspended a year. Sorry but I have no sympathy for any of the coaches or players on the Saints who get suspended as well. Bounties are BS and have no place in football period.

Reaction Score
i don't think the Peyton/Williams suspensions are excessive at all. obviously Goodell has to stop this from happening and the best way to do that is with a strong message. how do you figure "bounty" is making this out to be more than what it is? money paid as a direct incentive to hurt an opposing player, what else would you call that but a bounty? it doesn't matter one bit if it's been happening forever, it needs to be stopped. this has nothing to do with the NFL being a dictatorship, but rather the obvious motive of keeping their product (the players) in working shape. if Favre got hurt against the Saints, the NFL loses money, plain and simple. i'm sure the potential liability plays into it, but there's nothing wrong with that.

as for Tebow, i would love to sit in on a team meeting while Ryan is cussing up a storm with every other word being an F bomb. i wonder if Tebow will pray for him during the meetings or wait to do it at home.

+1. Also, I think the kicker is that the Saints got caught lying to the league, and continued the practice after they were already investigated.

Reaction Score
The Payton lied to the NFL about this and that was why he was suspended a year. Sorry but I have no sympathy for any of the coaches or players on the Saints who get suspended as well. Bounties are BS and have no place in football period.

Lots of things exist in all little parts of society that shouldn't - morally, ethically.....whatever. Why should pro football be any different. Since the moment that players have been paid to play the game, the concept of bounties has been part of the game.

When it comes to those parts of society that shouldn't exist - morally, ethically....whatever........there's a lot to be said about the ability for whatever part of that society and whatever the topic is.....to police themselves.

When a player/coach/system goes out there and establishes that they are willing to go out there and go down the bounty road, they'll earn the label of being a paid assassin, and take it for whatever you think it's worth.......earning that label on the field, is going to put a target on your own back.

THe suspensions extending into the coaches and front offices are unprecedented and ridiculous. THis is going to have the reverse effect in the pro-football community than what Goodell intended. Jimmy Johnson is already talking about how ridiculous it is to suspend a coach and GM without pay for this.

You fine the hell out of the people involved and you have a league meeting with the owners and players union, and quietly tell everybody in the room what was going on in New Orleans, and then let the system take care of itself.

Goodell is dangerous to the league. Imagine what college basketball would be like if this guy was in charge.

Mark Bavaro has a funny story in this clip around the 9:00 minute mark about how the NY Giants handled bounties in the 1980s. Every player on the Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, and Cardinals took the field against Buddy Ryan's eagles, knowing exactly what was going on, and the Eagles made the playoffs in the Buddy Ryan years, but didn't really win anything with the targets they put on their own backs.

Pro football is an entirely different animal than college football. Totally different. Players are compensated financially directly by their performance on the field.

THe worst thing that can ever happen to college football is opening up the concept of actually being reimbursed with cash to play the game, no matter how benign it may seem.

Reaction Score
Oh by the way: rumor has it that Jeremy Shockey ratted out the Saints' organization.
Shockey denied the accusation he was the snitch that outed the Saints, but CBSSports.com now suggests the snitcher (sic) is now a UConn "football program aide".

"During a Tuesday appearance on America's Radio News Network, filmmaker and author Alan Donnes said that former Saintsdefensive quality control coach Mike Cerullo was a whistleblower in the bounty scandal that led to wide-ranging sanctions for the Saints, according to CBSSports.com Rapid Reporter Larry Holder.

'Donnes described Cerullo as a disgruntled former employee who couldn't find work after being let go after the 2009 season,' Holder wrote Tuesday afternoon. 'Donnes said Cerullo believed Sean Payton and Gregg Williams blocked Cerullo from getting a job in the NFL. Cerullo is currently a football program aide at Connecticut. When contacted by CBSSports.com on March 9 concerning Bountygate, Cerullo said he had no comment."

Reaction Score
Although I can't fathom why it would be necessary, except to miminize any undue influence or press about UConn's football program, if there's any truth to this, then someone in the...athletic departament, school admin, football ops (take your pick or come up with a better choice)...better be considering some sort of damage control plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom