OT : Tebow to Jets, Sean Payton 1 year suspension | The Boneyard

OT : Tebow to Jets, Sean Payton 1 year suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wow. Heck of a lot that just happened in the span of a few minutes in the NFL.

Jet's trade 4th (Edit : and 6th) round pick for Tebow.
Sean Payton suspended 1 year.
Mickey Loomis suspended 8 games and fined $500k
Saints franchise fined $500k and lose 2nd round picks in 2012 and 2013
Gregg Williams suspended indefinitely.

Reaction Score
Wow. Heck of a lot that just happened in the span of a few minutes in the NFL.

Jet's trade 4th round pick for Tebow.

The Jets????!?!?1? Wow, clearly John Elway really does hate Tim Tebow.

Reaction Score
I find this kind of ironic. The players who actually did this receive nothing? Or am I missing a part of the story?

Reaction Score
Jets just trying to compete with Giants for the back page of the NYPost.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The Jets????!?!?1? Wow, clearly John Elway really does hate Tim Tebow.
Right? And Jacksonville couldn't at least match a 4th and 6th rounder?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
what a great off the field setup the jets have now. dirty san will be banging hs girls and tebow will be out spreading cheer at the clinics.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The New Orleans/Williams suspensions are absolutely ridiculous. This is something that almost every team does and has been going on in the sport forever. This just turned into a PR nightmare with the media and the use of the word 'bounty' (which is making this out to be much different than what it really was). The Saints just happend to have a disgruntled employee who went 'rat' on them and it was an opportunity for the NFL to make a public statement. Don't think for a second this isn't related to the potential lawsuit/criticism the NFL will be getting from the concusion/injury problems of former players. If the NFL gets sued, they will now be able to point to this decision to show how serious they are about protecting player safety.

I hope Williams/Peyton/Saints argue this suspension in court and go against the commisioner on this. But we know that will never happen as the NFL is a complete dictatorship and if they challenge the power, they will be stomped down. But this is completely ridiculous!

Reaction Score
i don't think the Peyton/Williams suspensions are excessive at all. obviously Goodell has to stop this from happening and the best way to do that is with a strong message. how do you figure "bounty" is making this out to be more than what it is? money paid as a direct incentive to hurt an opposing player, what else would you call that but a bounty? it doesn't matter one bit if it's been happening forever, it needs to be stopped. this has nothing to do with the NFL being a dictatorship, but rather the obvious motive of keeping their product (the players) in working shape. if Favre got hurt against the Saints, the NFL loses money, plain and simple. i'm sure the potential liability plays into it, but there's nothing wrong with that.

as for Tebow, i would love to sit in on a team meeting while Ryan is cussing up a storm with every other word being an F bomb. i wonder if Tebow will pray for him during the meetings or wait to do it at home.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
The New Orleans/Williams suspensions are absolutely ridiculous. This is something that almost every team does and has been going on in the sport forever. This just turned into a PR nightmare with the media and the use of the word 'bounty' (which is making this out to be much different than what it really was). The Saints just happend to have a disgruntled employee who went 'rat' on them and it was an opportunity for the NFL to make a public statement. Don't think for a second this isn't related to the potential lawsuit/criticism the NFL will be getting from the concusion/injury problems of former players. If the NFL gets sued, they will now be able to point to this decision to show how serious they are about protecting player safety.

I hope Williams/Peyton/Saints argue this suspension in court and go against the commisioner on this. But we know that will never happen as the NFL is a complete dictatorship and if they challenge the power, they will be stomped down. But this is completely ridiculous!

1. "Everybody else is doing it" does not qualify as justification for something that is against the rules and I would hope that we could all agree that implementing an incentive system for injuring opposing players is not within the rules
2. My understanding is that in addition to the actual bounty program, the Saints were told by their owner to immediately cease and desist on this and they ignored him - at what point do you throw the book at someone? In a situation like this.
3. The PR nightmare, IMO, would have been if the NFL didn't do anything meaningful as a result of this or had only penalized the players themselves - I think this penalty is in fact a very good PR move by the NFL - they are shown as penalizing offenders of a safety policy and they aren't seen (yet) as picking on the players as opposed to the coaches / front office

Just my opinion though.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Hold the fort: word on the street is that Tebow's contract may have language in it that nullifies this trade.

Stay tuned...

Reaction Score
Hold the fort: word on the street is that Tebow's contract may have language in it that nullifies this trade.

Stay tuned...

For his sake, I hope so. Nothing against the Jets, really, but that seems like the worst place for him and I do want to see him succeed.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Oh by the way: rumor has it that Jeremy Shockey ratted out the Saints' organization.

What a boring day in the NFL today...

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
1. "Everybody else is doing it" does not qualify as justification for something that is against the rules

I am not saying that "everybody else is doint it" is a justification for doing it. There should be a penalty--that I do not disagree with. But the severity of the penalty is ridiculous when you know that everyone is doing the same exact thing. I think a 1 year suspension for Williams and a 4-8 game suspension for Payton would be significant enough penalty. I think the current penalties are way too far over the line.

1. I would hope that we could all agree that implementing an incentive system for injuring opposing players is not within the rules

This is where I think the PR and media storm is involved. Everyone hears the description of the program and thinks it is an incentive to injur players ("Sweep the leg Johhny!"). But that is not how it really works in the locker room. Whether the program is in place or not, in the NFL you try to hit the other guy as hard as humanly possible. This incentive program wasn't to have people go diving at knees, taking head blows, or gauging eyes in the pile. This was about hitting someone hard enough to make them leave the game. The players didn't do anything different on the field because of the program. It just gave them something to get excited about in the film room and for locker room banter. The program had no impact on what players were going to do on the actual field.

The way it is portrayed is that it was an incentive for players to take cheap shots and take out other players in an illegal or dirty fashion. But that just isn't how this worked...but no one in the general public or media thinks of it that way.

But as you said....just my opinion and we reasonable minds can disagree.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Now espn is reporting the jets trade has a possible hang up and might even be off. Tebow to rams if it does fall thru.

Reaction Score
Now espn is reporting the jets trade has a possible hang up and might even be off. Tebow to rams if it does fall thru.

Wow. That makes even less sense than the NYJ. "Let's sit Bradford so we can play Tebow."

None of the teams that could use a QB are willing to give up a 4th round pick?

Reaction Score
Wow. That makes even less sense than the NYJ. "Let's sit Bradford so we can play Tebow."

KIM when he originally was being drafted a lot of teams saw him as a TE or elsewhere, so it's possible there arent' any teams that view him as a starting caliber QB. does StL need a TE?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

See the issue is they could use a QB, not a RB who occasionally completes a throw or two.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I am not saying that "everybody else is doint it" is a justification for doing it. There should be a penalty--that I do not disagree with. But the severity of the penalty is ridiculous when you know that everyone is doing the same exact thing. I think a 1 year suspension for Williams and a 4-8 game suspension for Payton would be significant enough penalty. I think the current penalties are way too far over the line.

This is where I think the PR and media storm is involved. Everyone hears the description of the program and thinks it is an incentive to injur players ("Sweep the leg Johhny!"). But that is not how it really works in the locker room. Whether the program is in place or not, in the NFL you try to hit the other guy as hard as humanly possible. This incentive program wasn't to have people go diving at knees, taking head blows, or gauging eyes in the pile. This was about hitting someone hard enough to make them leave the game. The players didn't do anything different on the field because of the program. It just gave them something to get excited about in the film room and for locker room banter. The program had no impact on what players were going to do on the actual field.

The way it is portrayed is that it was an incentive for players to take cheap shots and take out other players in an illegal or dirty fashion. But that just isn't how this worked...but no one in the general public or media thinks of it that way.

But as you said....just my opinion and we reasonable minds can disagree.

Firstly, love the Karate Kid reference. That Johnny, he's a creampuff. Secondly, I think your interpretation of the real workings of the locker room are understandable but the problem is that I doubt that its universal. In other words, I'm sure a lot, if not most of the players, approach it in that way. Hit people as hard as you can with legal hits - knock someone out you get a prize. But I'm pretty confident that there will always be bad apples who don't think that way and just think "Get him out of the game". Do you remember that jackass who body slammed Jim McMahon after a play was over? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/789822-the-40-most-vicious-cheap-shots-in-sports-history/page/35 One of the cheapest plays I've ever seen in football and according to the Saint's bounty system, may have been worth a payout. Listen to the whole clip - the guy had a list of players' numbers on his towel who he wanted to put affliction on (or whatever the broadcaster said). Not everyone is going to go with the spirit of the system and that's the problem. No system of payouts for players being knocked out of games (regardless of whether it was a legal or illegal hit) should exist.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Stay tuned...
Wow... step away for a few hours, and look what happens!

Reaction Score
Roger Goodell is a complete tyrant, and New Orleans is one of the four or five teams most hated by the NFL, so not really sure what else people expected.

Seriously wouldn't shock me with this guy to force teams to move to Nairobi, if he got the itch to expand into Africa.

He's a complete power hungry lunatic.

Reaction Score
Goodell represents the interests of the owner of the franchises. How can the Saints be one of the most hated franchises when they sucked for so long?

U

UCONNfan1

i'm not sure what the big deal is with Tebow. people have gone absolutely bonkers over him, and i see him as a solid back up QB. he's deficient in too many areas to be a franchise QB, or permanent starter. just my opinion. he has a lot to work on if he wants to make it as a starter. there's a reason Denver went after Manning instead of staying put with him. i'd hope they know more than we do.

Reaction Score
Do you remember that jackass who body slammed Jim McMahon after a play was over? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/789822-the-40-most-vicious-cheap-shots-in-sports-history/page/35 One of the cheapest plays I've ever seen in football and according to the Saint's bounty system, may have been worth a payout. Listen to the whole clip - the guy had a list of players' numbers on his towel who he wanted to put affliction on (or whatever the broadcaster said). Not everyone is going to go with the spirit of the system and that's the problem. No system of payouts for players being knocked out of games (regardless of whether it was a legal or illegal hit) should exist.
That is worse than anything I've ever seen the Saints do. And all he gets is an ejection.

Reaction Score
Payton had already been caught and lied about the bounty scandal and apparantly told his assistants to cover it up so if thats the case Payton gambled with his own stupidity.

Reaction Score
my reaction to all news:

1. Peyton goes to Broncos: WOW, that's stupid... 49ers are tailor made just need a decent QB
2. Payton goes away for a year: WOW, that's stupid... deplorable actions but a YEAR! Stallworth got 4 games for KILLING A DUDE.
3. Tebow to NYJ: WOW, that's stupid... they already have one QB who can't throw that they JUST EXTENDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom