OT - Tad Matta out of tOSU | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Tad Matta out of tOSU

Reaction Score
McDermott can coach, I'd be intrigued to see what he could do at a bigger program like tOSU. Certainly not the worst option and at this point in the year they'd have to offer a lot of money to lure any big name from their current position.
The dude couldn't get to the sweet sixteen with Doug McDermott for 4 years. He also failed at Iowa State.

Reaction Score
Well they swung and missed on Miller, Mack and Hoiberg which were probably their top 3. Would Ed Cooley or Frank Martin be any better? I dunno.

Reaction Score
LOL if tOSU thought they had a shot at Miller.

OSU could probably write a bigger check than AZ but yeah, I'm not sure there are any schools that he would leave for at this point.

Reaction Score
McDermott can coach, I'd be intrigued to see what he could do at a bigger program like tOSU. Certainly not the worst option and at this point in the year they'd have to offer a lot of money to lure any big name from their current position.

Assuming Mac takes the gig (which could still fall through as I type this based on a report or 2)...the question becomes does Marcus Foster go the Grad Transfer route (unanimous 1st team All-BE).

After the MAC tweet about MF on the 3rd you would have to think this would come as a complete shock to the kid. Fun to speculate. Foster could change the fortune of a team. Maybe take a fringe S16 team to SA. Maybe a bubble team to the S16+.

I don't think a great hire for Ohio State if comes to fruition. Decent not great. JMHO

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well they swung and missed on Miller, Mack and Hoiberg which were probably their top 3. Would Ed Cooley or Frank Martin be any better? I dunno.

Dunno how it'd work out on the court, but they'd f@#$kin love Martin at OSU.

Reaction Score
Wow. Can't believe OSU didn't have a candidate already lined up when they fired Matta. What was the AD thinking?

Reaction Score
Out herein Columbus they are saying they already have someone lined up. You don't make a move unless you are prepared to move on... kind of like Edsall's hire so quickly after firing Captain Red Pants...

Pete Thamel is just throwing out the usual suspects right now but OSU is thinking big outside Sean Miller..
His preferences are
1. Brad Stevens (no chance)
2. Tony Bennett (good chance)
3. Jay Wright (possible chance)
4. Sean Miller (possible chance to better if wants to come home but can win with the recruits he is getting)
5. Billy Donovan (good chance)

This is looking more and more like AD Gene Smith is just flying by the seat of his pants. 5 of their "top choices" have rejected him, with no end in site. McDermott would rather stay at Creighton then go to OSU? Really??? Wow.

Frankly, this is a terrible look for anyone running one of the "top" athletic programs in the country. Smith has seriously miscalculated and over-estimated his options and the gravitas of this job. It will be interesting to see how this continues to play out.

Reaction Score
Hope Cooley goes there... that'd be great and funny. Sorry MAL.

Any decent guys for OSU planning on transferring yet or too early for that?

Reaction Score
If you're Marshall, McDermott and the like, why wouldn't you stay put - they make coin, they are the man, and they have a chance to compete and win, not only league titles, but national titles and it's likely they've got more security than at a P5 gig where fan expectations are routinely out of whack.

Go to OSU and you're always second fiddle to Football. You're always going to be compared to OSU football and Urban. That guy is top 5 every year (I haven't looked at the rankings during his tenure, but you get the idea) and you'll be measured against that with the fans - that sucks donkey dick.

If I'm a guy that has had sustained success at a "mid-major" the only job I'm leaving for is Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Duke, UCLA - salary, brand recognition, tradition, recent success, #1 sport on campus, facilities, P5 conference affiliation. However, if I'm a guy that has had one or two good years, I jump at the chance to leave to a P5 gig - i.e. Andy Enfield FGCU to USC.

But I know next to nothing, so after writing this watch Jay Wright or Mark Few make the jump to OSU.

Reaction Score
Not a single school in the Big East is a "top job". A top job is a big school with football money that is more attractive than a number of NBA jobs. Ohio State is one of them, Providence and Co. is not. I don't think they actually want Cooley anyway however.

Reaction Score

It's not close to the job at OSU but it's a good job in the BE and some guys prefer to stay put. I mean he has a great gig at a solid hoops school where he seems to be making inroads. Why take on the stress related to the P5 stuff, minus the more than likely 2-3M annual bump of course?

Reaction Score

McDermott is a significant downgrade from Matta... but, hey, when you get this far down the wishlist that is to be expected.

Not sure "stronger" is correct. The NBE would have improved if Crean would've taken over the Creighton team.

Ohio State fans are breathing a sigh of relief and disgust at the same time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was shocked when I heard on the radio that McDermott had turned down the job. Typically when a high profile job like that is offered it's because a handshake deal is already in place, no? Somebody had to have messed up on tOSU's end because this has been about as embarrassing as it can go in the college athletics world of jock swinging. Getting stood up publicly by the coach at Creighton is a rough look (and Creighton is a good job, don't me wrong...but I'm assuming this was their option B or C as it was). The Big East power brokers have to be happy though. Creighton isn't even one of the top jobs in that conference and one of the premier schools in the country couldn't lure him away.

Reaction Score
Ohio State never really had a shot at Sean Miller nor did they think they did. They may have had a shot if timing were better, but this season of all seasons they weren't prying Miller away. They knew that. Never thought otherwise.

They made a firm offer to Chris Mack and loose offers to Billy Donovan and Chris Holtmann. Donovan never really said no but the money kinda turned Ohio State off to the idea. Holtmann never turned down Ohio State, he just wanted more time than OSU wanted to give back on Tuesday. However, after going through McDermott and some other guys yesterday, OSU revived talks today with Holtmann. Things are getting pretty serious.

Basically it's looking like Holtmann could wind up being the guy for OSU.

Reaction Score
They're now in a position where they will likely overpay for someone. Very odd transition, although my recollection is Matta turned the job down when he was hired only to recant later and take it irritating the Eggsavier fans. Karma?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom