OT - Tad Matta out of tOSU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Tad Matta out of tOSU

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Arizona prez: No way I'll let Ohio St. hire Miller

If Ohio State is interested in Sean Miller as its next men's basketball coach, the Buckeyes will have a battle to bring him in from Arizona.

"The Ohio State University is great university, but they are not going to get Coach Miller," university president Dr. Robert Robbins told The Arizona Republic on Tuesday. "They will have to come over me to get him, as the saying goes, over my dead body."

Miller's name was one of many floated after the Buckeyes cut ties with Thad Matta on Monday and began a national search at a relatively late time in the offseason.

Robbins told the newspaper he takes such rumors "very seriously."

"I just think he is a quality guy," Robbins said of Miller. "I will do everything in my power to try to convince him to stay."

Reaction Score
I'd take Crean in a heartbeat. He is one of those guys I'd put in the D. Category. Pretty solid coach overall.

You continue to reach new depths of just plain stupid...

Tom Crean, who could not get the Indiana Hooosiers past the Sweet 16, even with a top-10 talented roster in either 2012-2013 or 2015-2016? And at the same time has alienated people at both places where he coached (excellent point gtcam)?

LOL
What the hell has he won? He has burned bridges with players, families and alumni at Marquette and IU

If they want Ollie I will write a great recommendation!!
Now I understand where you are coming from

Out of all the "down on Ollie" people on here, Freescooter is the worst - and will post his anti-Ollie take every chance he gets. In addition, he will post total crap, biased opinions and false information to support his narrative. He has been doing it for years. Here is another perfect example. Anyone who would even say he would take Tom Crean over Kevin Ollie as the head coach at UConn at this point is a moron, a troll... or something even darker.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well Tom Crean at least recruits top 10 rosters. Ollie specializes in 1 and donee but not the good kind. Look the guy has 2 years to turn things around. I doubt he does it given next season's roster. Another March sitting home and he might be gone then. Remember the current AD doesn't have any reason to keep a guy who doesn't produce especially if he keeps playing in front of 8000 in Hartford and 6000 in Gampel. You can win or lose but if the fans lose interest you won't last long.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Well Tom Crean at least recruits top 10 rosters. Ollie specializes in 1 and donee but not the good kind. Look the guy has 2 years to turn things around. I doubt he does it given next season's roster. Another March sitting home and he might be gone then. Remember the current AD doesn't have any reason to keep a guy who doesn't produce especially if he keeps playing in front of 8000 in Hartford and 6000 in Gampel. You can win or lose but if the fans lose interest you won't last long.

He also specializes in winning tournament games he plays in. We've got the best combo of guards and small forwards in the AAC next season. Time to sack up and get behind KO. Its foolish to think we are going to do better at this point. Remember Memphis had to go with Tubby Smith...

Reaction Score
Why does Steven's name come up for college jobs? Is there any reason to think he wants to go back? I think Cooley and Martin are both realistic possibilities.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It'd be funny if Martin parlayed his final four into a job at Ohio St. I'm guessing that'd be a regrettable hire for Ohio St.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Btw who wants to bet we see a Sean Miller pay raise after the president publicly admits he'd do anything to keep him there? I'd demand another million if I was Miller.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Arizona prez: No way I'll let Ohio St. hire Miller

If Ohio State is interested in Sean Miller as its next men's basketball coach, the Buckeyes will have a battle to bring him in from Arizona.

"The Ohio State University is great university, but they are not going to get Coach Miller," university president Dr. Robert Robbins told The Arizona Republic on Tuesday. "They will have to come over me to get him, as the saying goes, over my dead body."

Miller's name was one of many floated after the Buckeyes cut ties with Thad Matta on Monday and began a national search at a relatively late time in the offseason.

Robbins told the newspaper he takes such rumors "very seriously."

"I just think he is a quality guy," Robbins said of Miller. "I will do everything in my power to try to convince him to stay."

Miller should totally parlay this into a fat new deal. Making 3mil or so now iirc. Shoot for 4 Sean!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

So basically you are saying Tom Crean can't coach. Yet you want him as UCONN's coach. Does not compute.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hoiberg would be insane to turn this down, they'll pay him well, and he's probably not lasting in Chicago after next year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hoiberg would be insane to turn this down, they'll pay him well, and he's probably not lasting in Chicago after next year.
I agree - Fred is a great coach and better suited for college ball - the best choice so far- I like him better than Miller(no chance)
Huggy Bear is revered at his alma mater he ain't going nowhere
McDermott is intriguing
Martin is a laugh - he will implode there
Cooley can recruit BUT like Crean - one has to also coach and win in the big games
The Wacky Leprechaun? Highly unlikely but for one I would love not seeing him ay Cinci anymore - he is so tiring

Wonder why no one looks at the SMU coach - I am impressed with him

Reaction Score
WTF? Is it because of the time frame that OSU can't do better than McDermott? This is an awful hire for a school that can print money (as they showed when they paid nearly around $1.75 buyout alone to get their women's coach from Washington). Even Cooley & Frank Martin would have been much better.

Last edited:

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
WTF? Is it because of the time frame that OSU can't do better than McDermott? This is an awful hire for a school who can print money (as they showed when they paid nearly around $1.75 buyout alone to get their women's coach from Washington).
McDermott can coach, I'd be intrigued to see what he could do at a bigger program like tOSU. Certainly not the worst option and at this point in the year they'd have to offer a lot of money to lure any big name from their current position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom