OT - Tad Matta out of tOSU | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Tad Matta out of tOSU

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Interesting that the AD waited to see how the recruiting season played out before pulling the trigger.

I wouldn't be surprised to see things go similarly around here. If KO stumbles through a mediocre year, Benedict may let him close the 2018 recruiting season before deciding what to do (and getting replacement candidates in place in the meantime).
I thought he stepped down because of health

Reaction Score
I thought he stepped down because of health

They basically said in the press conference it was mutually agreed upon that it was time to make a change based on performance. I think his health issues played a role, but it was basically a forced resignation.

Ohio State has said they will pay out the last three years of his contract rather than buying him out. He's going to be involved in the coaching search and help the athletic department for the short term. Some believe he's going to stay on as a consultant. So yeah, he was basically fired but officially he's going to be under contract and it is an amicable split.

Reaction Score
I don't know what Thad Matta does when he's not coaching basketball, but to look like that at age 49, he needs to do less of it.

He looks like that because of spending the last 10 years on pain pills due to his botched back surgery which caused his drop foot. He has serious medical issues. There have been days he can barely get out of bed or walk.

Reaction Score
Great and then we land Sean Miller?

Maybe they will hire Glenn Miller and he will take VJ and JD with him and restore OSU to it's former glory (wait what former glory). Never gonna happen, but it would be funny as if it did to see this board spontaneously combust over it.

Reaction Score
Great and then we land Sean Miller?
Don't know who we could land but he was a mistake. At the time Calhoun retired, if he had done it right we could have had any number of big time guys. Instead he let his ego get in the way. Now that Ollie is driving us to the bottom it is going to be tougher. We will need to:
A. Pay a lot of money for a bigtime guy
B. Land an up and comer who is maybe a year away from big time consideration;
C. Get lucky with a guy who had modest success elsewhere but is a really good coach; or
D. Land a really solid "retread" who can reestablish the program as a legitimate national power. Doesn't have to win NCAA championships but does need to make us a fixture in the tournament for 4-5 years.

Reaction Score
Thad Matta was known as a tireless worker, a tireless game-planner, and a tireless recruiter. He brought OSU the most basketball success it has enjoyed since the early 1960's. With that being said, when it goes bad, it goes bad. Transfers, lack of recruiting success, and a lack of W's brought on the events of this week. I am not saying that his health wasn't a contributing factor here, but I am saying that he is still the coach today if they had 25 wins last year rather than 17 wins.

Reaction Score
He looks like that because of spending the last 10 years on pain pills due to his botched back surgery which caused his drop foot. He has serious medical issues. There have been days he can barely get out of bed or walk.
It's sad, the guy can barely walk and is in constant pain.

Reaction Score

Sure he looks old for his age, but he's 49, not 29. If you could not have guessed his age with 24 guesses, you're not doing well. Even if you thought he looked older, you know he's not over 70, going backwards from there with 24 guesses gets you to 46. Mathing. It's hard.

Reaction Score
Thad Matta was known as a tireless worker, a tireless game-planner, and a tireless recruiter. He brought OSU the most basketball success it has enjoyed since the early 1960's. With that being said, when it goes bad, it goes bad. Transfers, lack of recruiting success, and a lack of W's brought on the events of this week. I am not saying that his health wasn't a contributing factor here, but I am saying that he is still the coach today if they had 25 wins last year rather than 17 wins.

Unfortunately, that sounds all too familiar these days..

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Don't know who we could land but he was a mistake. At the time Calhoun retired, if he had done it right we could have had any number of big time guys. Instead he let his ego get in the way. Now that Ollie is driving us to the bottom it is going to be tougher. We will need to:
A. Pay a lot of money for a bigtime guy
B. Land an up and comer who is maybe a year away from big time consideration;
C. Get lucky with a guy who had modest success elsewhere but is a really good coach; or
D. Land a really solid "retread" who can reestablish the program as a legitimate national power. Doesn't have to win NCAA championships but does need to make us a fixture in the tournament for 4-5 years.
Would you rather have KO or Tom Crean as our coach? That's likely the best you are going to do in this crap league.

Reaction Score
Would you rather have KO or Tom Crean as our coach? That's likely the best you are going to do in this crap league.
I'd take Crean in a heartbeat. He is one of those guys I'd put in the D. Category. Pretty solid coach overall.

Reaction Score
I know 2 men who had the dropped foot problem. One had the surgery and is fine and the other had the surgery too late and has a bad limp. I don't know how Matta was able to coach with it.

Reaction Score
I'd take Crean in a heartbeat. He is one of those guys I'd put in the D. Category. Pretty solid coach overall.
Now that was a surprising choice by you.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

LOL
What the hell has he won? He has burned bridges with players, families and alumni at Marquette and IU

If they want Ollie I will write a great recommendation!!
Now I understand where you are coming from

Reaction Score

Yep. His undoing started two years ago when a big recruiting class which was well ranked all basically left after their frosh years including Daniel Giddens the big kid who is somewhere else now. It was a mass frosh exodus which you rarely see for whatever reason. Kids just did not fit. Hard to recover quickly from that kind of turnover which we've seen some here. That said, Osu expects Uk like results. Cal to OSU? You heard it hear first.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Lots of great hot takes in here. Thought I would come in to find some. Anyway, feel bad for Matta. Getting pushed out of what you like to do when your health is affecting you, especially at 49, sucks bad. I hope for his sake he is able to coach again someday if he wants to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom