OT - Tad Matta out of tOSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Tad Matta out of tOSU

Reaction Score
Also, are we sure the Ohio State gig is as appealing as it's being made out to be? I assume they'll pay a lot and it's solid recruiting base, but it wouldn't be my first option if I were a coach at a strong mid-major. Nobody is ever going to care as much about OSU hoops as they do the spring football game.

Reaction Score
Far from a foregone conclusion that Marshall will leave a preseason top 10 team returning every player, nevermind his huge salary.

Yeah, plus he is finally playing in a better conference. Would be kind of a crazy time to leave.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ohio st is a big time athletic school that will pay a ton of money to its next coach. They're a huge step up in prestige for Marshall, you can't win at Wichita state forever.

Reaction Score
Ohio st is a big time athletic school that will pay a ton of money to its next coach. They're a huge step up in prestige for Marshall, you can't win at Wichita state forever.

Mark Few might disagree with you. Of couse Gonzaga isn't WSU, but has a similar profile, well except the fact that WSU has zero academic credibility.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
IMG_2670.JPG

Do they have any recruits/ players we can swoop in on.

Reaction Score
Brad Stevens would be crazy to leave the Celtics. He has the job he wants, imo. OSU BB coach is not a 'bigger' job.

pj

Reaction Score
Also, are we sure the Ohio State gig is as appealing as it's being made out to be? I assume they'll pay a lot and it's solid recruiting base, but it wouldn't be my first option if I were a coach at a strong mid-major. Nobody is ever going to care as much about OSU hoops as they do the spring football game.

If I were a coaching candidate, I'd rather be at Ohio State than Michigan or Michigan State, which have the same football competition, but two major schools in the state vs one. Plus the lesser history of success at OSU gives you more job security. Moreover, Ohio as a whole plus the Ohio River valley from Pittsburgh through Kentuckiana to St Louis, as well as the Great Lakes from Buffalo through Cleveland to Chicago, are a major basketball hotbed and recruiting area. Lots of top recruits out of Ohio.

Reaction Score

Ohio State is a top 10 job. Top conference, strong history, good recruiting territory, good home attendance, and a big budget athletic department.

Reaction Score
If I were a coaching candidate, I'd rather be at Ohio State than Michigan or Michigan State, which have the same football competition, but two major schools in the state vs one. Plus the lesser history of success at OSU gives you more job security. Moreover, Ohio as a whole plus the Ohio River valley from Pittsburgh through Kentuckiana to St Louis, as well as the Great Lakes from Buffalo through Cleveland to Chicago, are a major basketball hotbed and recruiting area. Lots of top recruits out of Ohio.

Ohio State is a top 10 job. Top conference, strong history, good recruiting territory, good home attendance, and a big budget athletic department.

It's a great job. Not sure it's enough for me to leave a Xavier or Wichita State in the middle of the summer. In that conference, I think it's the Indiana job and then all the others.

Reaction Score
It's a great job. Not sure it's enough for me to leave a Xavier or Wichita State in the middle of the summer. In that conference, I think it's the Indiana job and then all the others.

That's the thing. Donovon apparently wasn't interested in IU, so I would wonder why he'd be more interested in OSU?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Told you guys. That's why I thought it was dumb for Archie to go to IU. There were rumblings of this for a few years.
Archie could have waited but he wasn't guaranteed the OSU job. Beside that hoops is Numero Uno in Indiana and a distant second at OSU. Though I do recall a great basketball movie-- I think it was called Buckeyes.

Reaction Score

Actually, you can argue that Ohio St. has had more basketball success than Michigan and Michigan St. Ohio St. has won 22 Big 10 championships vs 14 at Michigan and 13 at Michigan St. Also, since 2006, Ohio St. has won 5 Big 10 championships vs 3 at Michigan St. and 2 at Michigan. Ohio St. has been to 11 Final 4s, Michigan 9, and Michigan St. 7.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Was hoping Kuwik, Dayton assistant and Matta/Stevens underling, would get a look, but he needs HC experience first I'd guess, they wouldn't hire him now, not a big enough name.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure I can see Marshall taking the job.

He already makes a fortune and he has a very good team returning. Ohio State isn't going to pay him any more than Wichita can and he'd be inheriting a rebuild in a very competitive league.

Chris Mack would seem like a natural. If Ohio State is into excuses and tantrums, maybe Mick Cronin has some appeal.

Reaction Score
Mick Cronin will never... ever... ever... EVER be the head coach at Ohio State. There's a lot of history there and OSU would never hire him even if he wanted to be hired (which I doubt). Cronin is forever blackballed at OSU.

My understanding is Chris Mack doesn't want any part of OSU. I don't think he's right for that job anyhow. I don't think he wants to be involved in some of the donor/alumni stuff required at OSU.

Billy Donovan could very well be in play. He's very close with both Urban and Thad. The timing of this move is suggestive of a possible NBA move. Let's be honest, if there was any chance of OSU landing him, it would be now as opposed to back in March or April when Oklahoma City was still playing. His season is over now. The OKC job is clearly not the most attractive now that the Thunder are (at best) fourth or fifth in the West pecking order. Since Donovan is familiar with all the pluses and minuses of coaching at a major football factory, he could make an informed decision. And since he knows Urban and Thad so well already, he would get some honest feedback.

Reaction Score
Despite the football school reputation, Ohio State had been top-15 in national attendance average all but two of Matta's 13 seasons (the first and last seasons being the two exceptions). They had top-10 attendance in seven or eight of 13 years and top-5 in attendance twice.

Fan support has never been an issue. People have always supported basketball, especially when it's winning. It's not the most raucous atmosphere most of the time, especially since it's a pro style arena and the acoustics are terrible, but people support the basketball program there.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Despite the football school reputation, Ohio State had been top-15 in national attendance average all but two of Matta's 13 seasons (the first and last seasons being the two exceptions). They had top-10 attendance in seven or eight of 13 years and top-5 in attendance twice.

Fan support has never been an issue. People have always supported basketball, especially when it's winning. It's not the most raucous atmosphere most of the time, especially since it's a pro style arena and the acoustics are terrible, but people support the basketball program there.
Granted both teams were bad but the atmosphere for our game there was terrible.

Reaction Score
Granted both teams were bad but the atmosphere for our game there was terrible.

You're absolutely right it was. The whole season was pretty bad. I think total apathy had set in. That's one of the reasons why a change was made. It has got to the point where the program was in a slow downward decline and the fans had taken notice. It spilled over into the gameday atmosphere. The game against UConn was one of pretty much every home game that was like that this season. In the past, games against notable opponents such as UConn would have been a LOT better than that atmosphere, but it was awful this year.

Reaction Score
Interesting that the AD waited to see how the recruiting season played out before pulling the trigger.

I wouldn't be surprised to see things go similarly around here. If KO stumbles through a mediocre year, Benedict may let him close the 2018 recruiting season before deciding what to do (and getting replacement candidates in place in the meantime).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom