OT: Seton Hall | The Boneyard

OT: Seton Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So reportedly Isaiah Whitehead is picking Seton Hall after SH has hired his HS and AAU coach Tiny Morton. This is after they already locked up Angel Delgado by hiring Oliver Antigua, who coached him in the DR. I know Kevin Willard was worried about losing his job but yeesh. I know this happens all the time and its not breaking the rules, but can you imagine the narrative if JC did something like this?

Reaction Score
What's interesting is I think the NCAA created a one-year cooling off period to prevent this very practice. So Morton shouldn't be able to join the Seton Hall staff until Whitehead's sophomore year, if I understand the rule correctly.

Rumor is St. John's gave the same offer to Morton.

Reaction Score
I know it happens all the time, but hiring two coaches in the span of one month for two recruits? That's the first time I've heard that done. Looks like they will need to provide more chairs for all the people that will be on the bench. It seems like Willard is finally giving in to the dirty shenanigans in recruiting in an effort to save his job.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
So reportedly Isaiah Whitehead is picking Seton Hall after SH has hired his HS and AAU coach Tiny Morton. This is after they already locked up Angel Delgado by hiring Oliver Antigua, who coached him in the DR. I know Kevin Willard was worried about losing his job but yeesh. I know this happens all the time and its not breaking the rules, but can you imagine the narrative if JC did something like this?

The practice would instantly be banned by the NCAA and they'd be looking for a way to take away a year of eligibility... but only after Gary Williams whined about it.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with it from Seton Hall, they've had a rough go of it in recruiting for a while and they are competing against Lavin and St. John's who have made a career out of doing this. Calipari does stuff like this along with many others, even the godly coach K has done it. Seton Hall decided they are going to do what it takes now to compete with the big boys. They have spent money on top recruiting assistants and are now swimming with the sharks.

Reaction Score
I agree if UConn and Calhoun pulled this they would get lambasted by the media. I get that Emmert is a vindictive scumbag who hates Calhoun and UConn but I've never understood why we are treated so differently by the majority of the media than everyone else is.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with it from Seton Hall, they've had a rough go of it in recruiting for a while and they are competing against Lavin and St. John's who have made a career out of doing this. Calipari does stuff like this along with many others, even the godly coach K has done it. Seton Hall decided they are going to do what it takes now to compete with the big boys. They have spent money on top recruiting assistants and are now swimming with the sharks.

I get the hiring of Fred Hill, especially since he has ties to the NJ area, but like tcf15 said when is the last time you ever heard of hiring 2 guys just to get 2 players? I remember there were articles on Howland about how he was desparate after he hired Korey McCray from the Atlanta Celtics AAU program, yet we got Zagoria applauding Willard for "thinking outside the box". I guess Willard has friends in the media.

Reaction Score
Coming from the school that stuffed the number 1 recruit in the nation in under the guise of him being a walk-on and the Rudy Gay charity game donation; pretty funny that you guys cry about gray area tactics.

Reaction Score
I get the hiring of Fred Hill, especially since he has ties to the NJ area, but like tcf15 said when is the last time you ever heard of hiring 2 guys just to get 2 players? I remember there were articles on Howland about how he was desparate after he hired the Korey McCray from the Atlanta Celtics AAU program, yet we got Zagoria applauding Willard for "thinking outside the box". I guess Willard has friends in the media.
Don't remember the last time 2 coaches were hired like this but Seton Hall was royally screwed over by Kyle Anderson and UCLA and I think they decided it's not happening again. If Whitehead is in fact signing with Seton Hall and Morton is promised something in the future, it's a bit shady but a great play on Seton Hall's part and will most likely bring them Isaiah Briscoe as well. I hate it but College Football and Basketball recruiting is a dirty business.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Coming from the school that stuffed the number 1 recruit in the nation in under the guise of him being a walk-on and the Rudy Gay charity game donation; pretty funny that you guys cry about gray area tactics.

We don't always cry about gray area tactics. For instance, when you guys hired Chris Webber to do a conference call we all chuckled.

Reaction Score

Oh my god, you are obnoxious. You had no clue what you were talking about with Facey, you're misinterpreting everyone's reaction to this.....just keep your uninformed comments to your own team's board.

Reaction Score

You got it wrong.

I'm not sure why the Drummond thing bugs you. The kid decided to go to college in late August. What exactly did you want UConn to do? And how is that gray area tactics?

As for the Rudy gay thing, there was national umbrage about what happened. The Washington Post wrote a story about it, Gary Williams cried. Preposterous that there was a hue and cry for a donation to Baltimore Parks & Rec. when all these coaches were funneling money to AAU coaches. A total joke, just like your post.

Reaction Score
Depending on how much these coaches are paid, somebody better keep a watch on money trading hands. You hire the kid's coach, he gets $400k for 2 years, funnels some of that money to some connected people.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I agree if UConn and Calhoun pulled this they would get lambasted by the media. I get that Emmert is a vindictive scumbag who hates Calhoun and UConn but I've never understood why we are treated so differently by the majority of the media than everyone else is.
Too many media guys fall into too few categories: attention whores, fan boys, and old bitter coaches.

Jay Bilas and Bill Raftery comprise the list of college basketball media whose opinion I honestly care to hear.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You're a garden-variety moron.

Reaction Score

Willard can hire Whitehead's mom for all I care, UConn didn't recruit either Whitehead or Delgado. This post is about the media's reaction to it, based on your posting history you're obviously too dense to understand that.

Reaction Score

I guess we're supposed to apologize for the fact that Drummond wanted to come here so badly he was willing to take money out of his own pocket? The only one I hear crying in this thread is you; go back to your own board where there's a four page thread celebrating over UConn missing a recruit you had absolutely no involvement with.

Reaction Score

crying.gif

Reaction Score
I know it happens all the time, but hiring two coaches in the span of one month for two recruits? That's the first time I've heard that done. Looks like they will need to provide more chairs for all the people that will be on the bench. It seems like Willard is finally giving in to the dirty shenanigans in recruiting in an effort to save his job.
The sad part is 2 coaches are going to lose their jobs at Seton Hall so they could sign a recruit.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
This is pretty funny. Here's what Tiny Morton is saying:

Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria 5m
Tiny Morton: "I expect to be the coach at Lincoln until somebody offers me a [college] job...Help me out."

Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria 4m
Morton says he "definitely" wants to be a college coach and his expertise is the NY/NJ area.

Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria 1m
Isaiah on if he would like to see SHU hire Tiny: "Definitely, that would make me even more comfortable."

Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria 5m
Tiny Morton said he spoke to Steve Lavin today and asked him whey they didn't a spot for him at #stjbb

Like he doesn't already have an offer on the table from SHU.

tumblr_min1uhYZBE1s5lf2ro1_400.gif

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Every time I read a post from you I'm reminded of the great words of wisdom spoken by the philosopher Archie Bunker such as "Stifle" and "Dingbat". Sean, Don't let the door hit you in the .

Reaction Score
Don't remember the last time 2 coaches were hired like this but Seton Hall was royally screwed over by Kyle Anderson and UCLA and I think they decided it's not happening again. If Whitehead is in fact signing with Seton Hall and Morton is promised something in the future, it's a bit shady but a great play on Seton Hall's part and will most likely bring them Isaiah Briscoe as well. I hate it but College Football and Basketball recruiting is a dirty business.

If Seton Hall also lands Briscoe, it is a good hire. Two potential top 20 kids in back to back seasons, plus some inroads in the NYC recruiting scene.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm glad UConn has never done this. I hope they never do. I'm sure there are some AAU and high school coaches that are good enough, but not tiny. He sucks.

Kembas AAU coach who went to Arizona was good enough.

caw

Reaction Score
Only Uconn fans are delusional enough to believe this Parks and Rec garbage.

Yeah, or someone who knows the AAU team down there and has seen how the money was spent. Dipwad.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Which AAU team? The one that was thrown together for one game so Rudy's camp could collect a paycheck...then subsequently disbanded?

Maybe KO should adopt similar tactics. You may beat Providence for a recruit.

Beating UConn for a recruit seems to be your guys' national championship. Congratulations! You won! We'll just have to settle for actual national championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom