OT: Pats-Colts | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats-Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeez. A ten page thread on this?

If any of your teams think they haven't cheated, just crawl out from under that rock.

Just to spread the smear to the Giants fans, does this not constitute cheating? :)

GiantsFlop.gif

Reaction Score
zyron said:
I love how you are trying to claim all these people and teams are cheating, but the only team that keeps getting caught is the Pats.

Success breeds envy and no one is been more successful over the past decade and a half than the Pats... Just sayin

Reaction Score
Success breeds envy and no one is been more successful over the past decade and a half than the Pats... Just sayin

I'm not sure how anyone can deny that this is a big part of it. When a team is vilified for engaging in conduct that is commonplace within the league then you know it's the team, rather than the conduct, that is driving the hysteria. People who are actually involved in the game - so obviously with far less credibility than message board posters - are lining up to say that this Ballghazi nonsense is laughable.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how anyone can deny that this is a big part of it. When a team is vilified for engaging in conduct that is commonplace within the league then you know it's the team, rather than the conduct, that is driving the hysteria. People who are actually involved in the game - so obviously with far less credibility than message board posters - are lining up to say that this Ballghazi nonsense is laughable.

Jerry Rice ✔ @JerryRice
Follow

11 of 12 balls under-inflated can anyone spell cheating!!! #Just Saying

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
For those doubting the fact that an under-inflated fooball makes a difference, check this article:

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/

The Patriots incredibly LOW fumbling rate is FAR beyond an 'anomoly' based on the statistics. There's a reason for it and I think we've finally found it.

Fumble-Chart-1.png

Last edited:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
For those doubting the fact that an under-inflated fooball makes a difference, check this article:

The Patriots incredibly LOW fumbling rate at home is FAR beyond an 'anomoly' based on the statistics. There's a reason and I think we've finally found it.

Fumble-Chart-1.png
Clearly Denver and Pittsburgh overinflate!

(At least, that's what I get out of the data....)

Reaction Score
Link doesn't work, I assume website crashed due to traffic.

Why does this just apply to home games? The chart below shows the home Pats offense has only fumbled 33 times or they've only lost 33 fumbles? Need to see total fumbles vs fumbles lost. For example on Sunday I remember the Pats fumbling at least once out of bounds, maybe twice.

The Patriots incredibly LOW fumbling rate at home is FAR beyond an 'anomoly' based on the statistics. There's a reason and I think we've finally found it.

Fumble-Chart-1.png
/x

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Link doesn't work, I assume website crashed due to traffic.

Why does this just apply to home games? The chart below shows the home Pats offense has only fumbled 33 times or they've only lost 33 fumbles? Need to see total fumbles vs fumbles lost. For example on Sunday I remember the Pats fumbling at least once out of bounds, maybe twice.

Sorry, I edited my post to reflect that it is NOT home fumbles, its total fumbles regardless of home/away since the teams use their own balls for away games too.

And I believe it is TOTAL FUMBLES, nothing to do with lost fumbles.(lost fumbles is not indicitive of anything)

Reaction Score
I think very few reasonable people think that the deflated balls amounted to some insurmountable advantage, heck i root for the colts and i don't. But it seems pretty much a fact that someone from the pats deliberately circumvented the rules, i.e. cheated. I think i would be disappointed if my team was caught doing that. I also understand the impulse to defend the team you love, on the other hand you can compare it to a parent that loves their kid despite them committing some petty theft every once in a while. Sure it's not a big deal, and i'm sure there is a list of redeeming qualities that offset it but you shouldn't be incredulous when others don't hold a very high opinion of them: there is a reason and it's not jealousy.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
I think very few reasonable people think that the deflated balls amounted to some insurmountable advantage, heck i root for the colts and i don't. But it seems pretty much a fact that someone from the pats deliberately circumvented the rules, i.e. cheated. I think i would be disappointed if my team was caught doing that. I also understand the impulse to defend the team you love, on the other hand you can compare it to a parent that loves their kid despite them committing some petty theft every once in a while. Sure it's not a big deal, and i'm sure there is a list of redeeming qualities that offset it but you shouldn't be incredulous when others don't hold a very high opinion of them: there is a reason and it's not jealousy.

Read the article in my post above and tell me if you still feel that deflated balls don't amount to an advantage.

Reaction Score
"It wasn't me!" from Brady, following suit with Belichick. Eleven balls magically deflated.

Brady didn't notice anything off with the footballs but a Colts defender holds one ball for five seconds and immediately notices it. Ok, boss.

Reaction Score
Read the article in my post above and tell me if you still feel that deflated balls don't amount to an advantage.

Did you actually watch the game? The Patriots (and Brady in particular) played better in the second half, AFTER the deflated balls were substitued out. I know this one article that you found on a gambling website is the be-all end-all when it comes to determining whether or not deflated balls pose an advantage though, not the results of the actual game in question.

Reaction Score

The Patriots incredibly LOW fumbling rate is FAR beyond an 'anomoly' based on the statistics. There's a reason for it and I think we've finally found it.

Fumble-Chart-1.png

This is interesting. I always assumed that New England's low fumble rate was a product of great coaching. But if the utilization of under-inflated footballs has been a long-standing tradition in Foxboro, maybe that is also a contributing factor.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Who else wants Brady to pull a Welker (2011, Rex Ryan foot fetish press conference) with the word, "balls?" Every answer should contain a double entendre. Mockeries need to be mocked.

I like my balls.
I don't want to play with anyone else's balls.
I don't want any other player touching my balls.
My balls
are perfect.

Reaction Score
Huge failure from Belichick and especially Brady today. Mark Brunell was so angry with Brady's press conference that he was almost crying. Brian Dawkins and Bettis also called out the absurdity of the charade. Nobody believes there was some magical fairy deflating Patriots game balls at Foxborough. They can deny all they want and hope the NFL can't come down on them but anyone who watched Brady's presser knows he was lying.

Reaction Score
Could the Patriots have chosen a lamer excuse on this one than blaming the weather? This might be one of those stories that starts out pretty harmless and grows into something a lot more damaging.

Reaction Score
From Troy Aikman:

“This whole comment by Roger Goodell based on the Saints when Sean Payton got suspended for the year, and he says ‘ignorance is no excuse,’ that’s going to come back to haunt him again,” Aikman said, via the Dallas Morning News. “That haunted him during the whole Ray Rice situation with he, himself, and now it’s going to haunt Roger Goodell in terms of what the punishment is for the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick. If ignorance is no excuse, and it wasn’t for Sean Payton. …[The Saints] did not give themselves a competitive advantage. Now twice, under Bill Belichick and possibly a third time, they’ve cheated and given themselves an advantage. To me, the punishment for the Patriots and/or Bill Belichick has to be more severe than what the punishment was for the New Orleans Saints.

Reaction Score
superjohn said:
Huge failure from Belichick and especially Brady today. Mark Brunell was so angry with Brady's press conference that he was almost crying. Brian Dawkins and Bettis also called out the absurdity of the charade. Nobody believes there was some magical fairy deflating Patriots game balls at Foxborough. They can deny all they want and hope the NFL can't come down on them but anyone who watched Brady's presser knows he was lying.

You wanted Brady to announce his immediate retirement right?

I actually laughed out loud at the Mark Brunell comment. Talk about lunacy. He was "almost crying."

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
From Troy Aikman:

“This whole comment by Roger Goodell based on the Saints when Sean Payton got suspended for the year, and he says ‘ignorance is no excuse,’ that’s going to come back to haunt him again,” Aikman said, via the Dallas Morning News. “That haunted him during the whole Ray Rice situation with he, himself, and now it’s going to haunt Roger Goodell in terms of what the punishment is for the New England Patriots and Bill Belichick. If ignorance is no excuse, and it wasn’t for Sean Payton. …[The Saints] did not give themselves a competitive advantage. Now twice, under Bill Belichick and possibly a third time, they’ve cheated and given themselves an advantage. To me, the punishment for the Patriots and/or Bill Belichick has to be more severe than what the punishment was for the New Orleans Saints.

The difference between those other scandals and this is that there is no direct evidence. It's all circumstantial.

I think the NFL did themselves a disservice when they came out early on and exonerated the refs earlier in the week. I don't think the ref crew checked the balls as closely as the NFL let on and, just like what Aaron Rodgers insinuated, the balls got through the controls.

Reaction Score
So your theory is that the Pats have been playing with underinflated balls for 7 years, that the Colts defender noticed it immediately upon intercepting a pass, but nobody else has noticed it in 7 years? Seems implausible.

If you want to get really intellectual about it, and not subscribe to proof of what we all know - the Pats put a huge emphasis on ball possession (ask Ridley), then do this:

How do the Pats do on punts and kickoffs? That ball is controlled by the refs.

How do the Pats do on run only plays?

The problem with the chart is that it equates run plays and pass plays, and the likelihood of fumble is different for the two, particularly when you consider that the Pats run a bunch of short pass plays to slot receivers who will not try to bull through defenders.

We all already knew that the Pats take great care of the ball. If you want to conclude that it's because of footballs, then you have a lot of work to do.

Reaction Score
You wanted Brady to announce his immediate retirement right?

I actually laughed out loud at the Mark Brunell comment. Talk about lunacy. He was "almost crying."
He was you moron, I'm guessing you didn't watch it. I laugh at everything you write on here.

Reaction Score
He was you moron, I'm guessing you didn't watch it. I laugh at everything you write on here.
I appreciate your passion for this topic.
In the end, I could care less about the whole thing - it's just a game. I watch because I like the human drama. Victory and defeat and all that.

As a guy whose job is to manage witnesses, I can tell you that Brady did great. I mean, A+. I'd be very comfortable putting him on the witness stand.

Do I think he was telling the truth? Gun to my head? Coin toss. Hard to say.

But it's entirely possible that the organization was having the balls altered to his liking without him knowing.

What I'd really like is for about 20 current and former QBs to line up and we randomly shot-gun them a ball, have them drop back and throw on a 3 count and then ask them to estimate the psi in the ball.

Brady gave all of the right answers. The only one I would have tweaked was the answer to, "why did you laugh this off on Monday morning?"

Answer should have been - at that point, I didn't know the NFL was investigating and I didn't know that 11 of 12 balls were low on air. I thought it was just a random sour grapes complaint from an opposing team's player. Now that I know there is more to it, I recognize the seriousness of the matter."

Reaction Score
"It wasn't me!" from Brady, following suit with Belichick. Eleven balls magically deflated.

Brady didn't notice anything off with the footballs but a Colts defender holds one ball for five seconds and immediately notices it. Ok, boss.

1. A Colts defender didn't notice. Bob Glauber of the Colts said H=Jacokson gave the ball to his equipment manager who noticed and reported it to Pagano.

2. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...teve-young-nfl-deflategate-patriots/22130249/

"Dan Marino made a great point -- that the last thing you're thinking about as a quarterback when you get to the line of scrimmage is, 'I wonder if this football is to 2 psi lighter?'" Theismann said.

Reaction Score
You really needed a comma here. You wanted this:

He was, you moron,

Instead, you went with:

He was you moron.

Which is hilariously poor grammar, because it suggests that BigErn and Brunnel were one and the same.

What you did is much like this sign:

moran.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member