OT: Olympics WNT Soccer | The Boneyard

OT: Olympics WNT Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I know there are a few here who also like the WNT in soccer. The Olympics for them actually start tomorrow (Wed 8/3).

USA vs New Zealand NBCSN at 6:00 PM (Eastern)
You beat me to it... I will be watching wearing the flag!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and the men didnt qualify for Rio?

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Nope.

Check with your cable/satellite provider but there should Soccer and Basketball specialty channels. On DirecTV, it's 205-1 for soccer and 205-2 for basketball. They'll be showing most of the men's and women's games without the constant interruptions.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No they lost an automatic bid to Honduras in the semi's of CONCACAF qualifying. Then they lost in the last chance playoff games to Colombia.

Remember the Olympics is a U23 tournament for the men, not the full national team. And there are only 16 places. Teams like Italy, Spain, England, Portugal, Netherlands didn't make it either.

It is a great opportunity for our younger players to get some excellent experience though, and we should be making it from CONCACAF.

Reaction Score
Nope.

Check with your cable/satellite provider but there should Soccer and Basketball specialty channels. On DirecTV, it's 205-1 for soccer and 205-2 for basketball. They'll be showing most of the men's and women's games without the constant interruptions.

The WNT in soccer will be televised on NBCSC and streamed on NBC's on-line network. The team plays Senegal next on the 6th at 11 AM EST. Just about everything that happens will be available to watch. Hopefully the US teams do well and come home in one piece.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
New Zealand isn't terrible. Should be a good match. They have maybe 4 or 5 notable players that people who are fans of Women's soccer would recognize by name.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The Canada v. USA game from London 2012 is currently being re-aired. I'm sure our good Canadian neighbors are delighted to see it one more time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'll say it. It will be nice to see a Wambach-free squad finally. She hung on way too long and sucked up way too much oxygen.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I'll say it. It will be nice to see a Wambach-free squad finally. She hung on way too long and sucked up way too much oxygen.
Blasphemy... (I partially agree with you but being born in Rochester, NY myself and still living in the Greater Rochester Area I am required to rebuke what you just said.) How dare you!

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The USWNT crashes out on penalty kicks to Sweden; finished 1-1 after 120 minutes. First time in their Olympic history the US has failed to advance to the semifinals.

It's been a rough time for US Soccer at just about every level.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am bummed for the US women's soccer team. It's surprising that they were unable to achieve wins against what seemed like lesser competition. Was it coaching? The players? Mental mistakes? We were expected to be in the gold medal game I thought, not going home early without even a bronze...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The USWNT crashes out on penalty kicks to Sweden; finished 1-1 after 120 minutes. First time in their Olympic history the US has failed to advance to the semifinals.

It's been a rough time for US Soccer at just about every level.
I am bummed for the US women's soccer team. It's surprising that they were unable to achieve wins against what seemed like lesser competition. Was it coaching? The players? Mental mistakes? We were expected to be in the gold medal game I thought, not going home early without even a bronze...
Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but they have not been playing well this tournament. Got by a weak NZ team. France outplayed them, but Solo stood on her head. And then looked pretty bad against a poor Colombian team. Coaching? Maybe, they had to go against their old coach, Pia Sundhage. They have some of the best talent they've had in years.

In soccer, pretty much anything can happen on any given day. But with the way they've played this tourney, maybe some heads should roll.

Also no team has even won the WC and Olympics in succession. ????

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Haven't had the chance to watch it yet, but they have not been playing well this tournament. Got by a weak NZ team. France outplayed them, but Solo stood on her head. And then looked pretty bad against a poor Colombian team. Coaching? Maybe, they had to go against their old coach, Pia Sundhage. They have some of the best talent they've had in years.

In soccer, pretty much anything can happen on any given day. But with the way they've played this tourney, maybe some heads should roll.

Also no team has even won the WC and Olympics in succession. ????
Exactly, what they were trying to do was going to difficult no matter what. I did however expect them to prevail.

Reaction Score

U.S. dominated play and had the ball in the Swedish end for long periods. But despite this dominance, they have been unable to create enough good scoring chances and unable to finish when they do get an opportunity. Sweden smartly opted to pack everyone back on defense and it worked.

Reaction Score
The refereeing was poor in this game, particularly the one AR. It is a bad idea to insist on having only female referees when there are only a handful of qualified ones in the world. It is a bigger problem in women's soccer than it is in women's college basketball - and it is a big problem in the latter.

Reaction Score
USWNT's Hope Solo "we lost to a bunch of cowards. The better team did not win' #Rio2016 [/QUOTE]

Such poor sportsmanship..... not happy the US lost but i am glad Hope Solo lost..... New Jersey Devils had the left wing lock..... and effectively defended the competition.... it was not pretty game though..... after they won Stanley Cup..... losing side congratulated them, did not call them cowards. And Hope look in the mirror.... you misplayed both goals vs. Columbia.

Reaction Score
The refereeing was poor in this game, particularly the one AR. It is a bad idea to insist on having only female referees when there are only a handful of qualified ones in the world. It is a bigger problem in women's soccer than it is in women's college basketball - and it is a big problem in the latter.
I wish I could like this post 100 times.

They really need to take a cue from the NBA - the best officials get to officiate, regardless of gender. If you really want equal playing fields, then the women deserve the best available refs.

Reaction Score
Ya .... quote was beneath the dignity of any Olympic competitor..... funny but i expected Hope to offer some quote like that.....

My focus is on the good old US of A.... and continued winning with good sportsmanship....

Reaction Score
USWNT's Hope Solo "we lost to a bunch of cowards. The better team did not win' #Rio2016

The USWNT will be better off when she's gone. Her repeated immature actions, not to mention her domestic violence case, are not a good look for a team that tries to be role models for young girls.

Reaction Score
Solo's attempts to freeze the last kicker, described by the BBC as 'so much faffing about' and including a sudden need for a brand new pair of gloves was pretty pathetic gamesmanship, though it might have been 'bravery' in her mind.
Good on the Swedish player for laughing it off and wrong-footing her in the end.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
And had she gone clean sheet on the PK's, we'd be touting her as the best keeper in the game, which she is.

Still: There is a time to speak up, and a time to shut up. Hope doesn't grasp the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom