OT Old School Rap | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT Old School Rap

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Gettin' the parties started!!

Reaction Score
Said before, but ATCQ is amazing.

Outkast, specifically Sothernplayalisticadillacmuzik.

Fugess, The Score.

Nas, Illmatic, which is arguably the best hip hop album of all time.

Reaction Score
Too many great names to mention all, but the ones who turned me on to the genre were Run DMC, BDP, Eric B & Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, Nas, and the Beastie Boys. So many other great groups out there as well, but that’s what initially prompted my interest.

Yo’ MTV Raps then took it across the nation and introduced me to west coast rap ... Ice T, NWA at first... and then everything that sprung from there with Death Row, and then Aftermath.

There’s a really good documentary on Showtime and Netflix called ‘Stretch and Bobitto, Radio that Changed Lives’ if you really liked 90’s NYC hip hop. Epic radio show on in middle of the night, I think out of Columbia U, not sure. Worth the watch if you like this genre

Reaction Score
Not sure if if was mentioned but for the west coast Pharcyde was one of my favorite. Dana Dane and Slick Rick also a couple more I didn't mention before that I liked. Schoolly D was raw as hell and the originator of gangsta rap one of my favorite too from Philly. "Parkside 52" and "Saturday Night" were a couple of my favorite of his songs. Cheeba Cheeba Yall!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was also a big Paris fan and loved these two songs. He sounds like Rakim with the Pro Black stance of Public Enemy.

Reaction Score

This song was banned by MTV because of his Pro Black Panther stance.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Too many great names to mention all, but the ones who turned me on to the genre were Run DMC, BDP, Eric B & Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, Nas, and the Beastie Boys. So many other great groups out there as well, but that’s what initially prompted my interest.

Yo’ MTV Raps then took it across the nation and introduced me to west coast rap ... Ice T, NWA at first... and then everything that sprung from there with Death Row, and then Aftermath.

There’s a really good documentary on Showtime and Netflix called ‘Stretch and Bobitto, Radio that Changed Lives’ if you really liked 90’s NYC hip hop. Epic radio show on in middle of the night, I think out of Columbia U, not sure. Worth the watch if you like this genre
One of the greatest hip hop shows ever. Stretch does not get enough props. That show was crazy. Props to you Samcro for bringing up this show up.

Reaction Score
De La Soul is always underrated, both lyrically and Prince Paul's production. Three Feet High and Rising is as good as any hip-hop album ever IMO. I appreciate their stuff and ATCQ even more once I got older and couldn't listen to the guns/drugs/killing people rap all the time. I have a playlist that mostly consists of De La, ATCQ and Digable Planets and it's hard to not be in a good mood after listening to it for a while.

My favorite old school joint. That harp...

Rakim holds up so well. Lyrics of Fury still amazes me to this day; probably my favorite Eric B. & Rakim track. I still rewind that song and listen to the second verse a few times each time it comes on.

Reaction Score
Didn't read whole thread so may be duplicative but...

Sugarhill Gang

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

Whodini

Kurtis Blow

Run DMC

Fat Boys

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
De La Soul is always underrated, both lyrically and Prince Paul's production. Three Feet High and Rising is as good as any hip-hop album ever IMO. I appreciate their stuff and ATCQ even more once I got older and couldn't listen to the guns/drugs/killing people rap all the time. I have a playlist that mostly consists of De La, ATCQ and Digable Planets and it's hard to not be in a good mood after listening to it for a while.

My favorite old school joint. That harp...

Rakim holds up so well. Lyrics of Fury still amazes me to this day; probably my favorite Eric B. & Rakim track. I still rewind that song and listen to the second verse a few times each time it comes on.

Probably their two best songs . Classic.

De La Soul - Stakes is high (HQ)
De La Soul - Held Down

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
One of my favorite all-time classics was Run DMC's "Here we go" live at the funhouse. The lyrics were crafty, funny and extremely relatable if you grew up during that time period, particularly w/in the tri-state area.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Slightly OT here, but the thread topic brought this to memory. Anyone in the BY recall the music show NY Hot tracks w/ Carlos Dejesus as host? This was the precursor to yo MTV raps and would have the who's who of hip hop and dance on the show. The show and the host would give up and comers some shine which usually resulted in stardom. Run DMC is one example.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
A shout out to the ladies:

Sheila E., Monie Love, Queen Latifah, Salt n Pepa, and a personal favorite; MC Lyte.

"Self destruction... you're headed for self destruction..."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom