OT: NFL Draft | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: NFL Draft

Reaction Score
Eh, this class is deep in backs. You can certainly address the position. Get one in a later round. You could have 3-4 good backs for the money you'll pay Barkley.

He's going to make 8m, 10m, 13m in years 3-5 of his deal. That's insanity. And he's not gonna want pay cuts after that. And if he gets hurt...

If I had to pick and not trade, then in a vacuum, I'd probably take Roquan Smith or somebody like that.

jmo of course
The Barkley pick comes off as a marketing ploy. But he is rated as the best player in the draft. Barry Sanders did get the Lions rolling for a while.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Barkley pick comes off as a marketing ploy. But he is rated as the best player in the draft. Barry Sanders did get the Lions rolling for a while.

He's likely going to be a great player. I'm not trying to take away from that at all. I was just speaking to a team building perspective.

He will probably be really fun to watch.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We haven’t had a good running back or linebacker in like 5 years. We have done well thus far this offseason.
Guice, Chubb, Jones III, and Johnson would've been way(!) better value in the second/third round. Gallman showed potential behind that horrid OLine, and Perkins has potential. DG also seems to believe in Stewart being a contributor next year, so I don't think using the second overall pick on a RB was smart.

Reaction Score
Guice, Chubb, Jones III, and Johnson would've been way(!) better value in the second/third round. Gallman showed potential behind that horrid OLine, and Perkins has potential. DG also seems to believe in Stewart being a contributor next year, so I don't think using the second overall pick on a RB was smart.
Saquon is by all accounts a once in a decade running back, if you can get that in the draft, why would you not? He is a workhorse, catches extremely well out of the backfield, and protects, this was a very good pick no matter how you look at it.

Reaction Score
The Giants do need an offensive line. Not sure if Barkley is going to have a Fournette-like rookie year. Remains to be seen. They are also risking exposing the kid to injury more this season, so they better manage it right.

Reaction Score

The Giants got by most accounts, the best football player in the draft. I am not to concerned about value.

Reaction Score
Saquon is by all accounts a once in a decade running back, if you can get that in the draft, why would you not? He is a workhorse, catches extremely well out of the backfield, and protects, this was a very good pick no matter how you look at it.

Quarterback is both the most important position and the hardest position to fill. The Giants have an 87 year old QB who's been terrible recently. They were picking second in what's widely regarded as the deepest quarterback draft in ages. They took a running back. You have to be pretty stupid to do something like that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's terrific, I'll probably end up buying his jersey, but that's not the point. Even if he's better than the other top RB prospects recently, people are going overboard on the hype train. It's easy to forget how elite Barkley would need to be to justify his yearly salary/pick. Even if he's great, if he's anything below Bell or David Johnson's tier, then we're over paying someone you probably don't need to win a Superbowl. Last years top RBs were taken in rounds 3 and four. Active upper level RBs that were taken in rounds after the first include; McCoy, Freeman/Coleman, Bell, Johnson, Cook, Howard, Kamara, and Hunt. Point being, you can have a great running game with any of those guys, you don't even need the best of the best.

Next years QB crop is projected to be pretty terrible, even though that could change. This years was amazing, you had 4 guys worthy of being top 10. Rosen would be the first taken if he came out next year. Eli probably has two years left, so it'd be nice if we had his replacement lined up. HCPS also said this pick wasn't an endorsement for Webb, so it's not likely he's the answer.

Either way he's a Giant, and I'll be patiently waiting to watch him in the pre season. He'll make us better next year, and take some weight off of Eli. So there are some positives.

Reaction Score
He's terrific, I'll probably end up buying his jersey, but that's not the point. Even if he's better than the other top RB prospects recently, people are going overboard on the hype train. It's easy to forget how elite Barkley would need to be to justify his yearly salary/pick. Even if he's great, if he's anything below Bell or David Johnson's tier, then we're over paying someone you probably don't need to win a Superbowl. Last years top RBs were taken in rounds 3 and four. Active upper level RBs that were taken in rounds after the first include; McCoy, Freeman/Coleman, Bell, Johnson, Cook, Howard, Kamara, and Hunt. Point being, you can have a great running game with any of those guys, you don't even need the best of the best.

Next years QB crop is projected to be pretty terrible, even though that could change. This years was amazing, you had 4 guys worthy of being top 10. Rosen would be the first taken if he came out next year. Eli probably has two years left, so it'd be nice if we had his replacement lined up. HCPS also said this pick wasn't an endorsement for Webb, so it's not likely he's the answer.

Either way he's a Giant, and I'll be patiently waiting to watch him in the pre season. He'll make us better next year, and take some weight off of Eli. So there are some positives.
How aboit we give Webb a go?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The Giants got by most accounts, the best football player in the draft. I am not to concerned about value.
They may have, the next time a RB is the best player on a Super Bowl team, let me know.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Looking forward to his pre season as well. Hoping he shows something, as it would be nice to not have to draft a QB. But when he likely isn't the answer, we're gonna wish we had fixed this problem when 4/5 solutions were staring us in the face last year.

Reaction Score
You want a list of QBs picked in the top 5 who've won Super Bowls?
Considering the Giants had the #2 pick and you wanted them to take a quarterback it seems somehwhat relevant. You hinted there are no recent running backs who are the best player on a Super Bowl winner, I'm wondering who are all these top 5 picked QB's who have won Super Bowls recently.

You can do all the scouting you want and it's pretty much all a cr@pshoot. Barkley is the best player in the draft and the only thing I see stopping him from being a great player is a major injury. I find this QB class to be overrated, I think it's pretty clear they all have some flaws. If you had the no-brainer can't miss QB to succeed Eli you take him, that guy isn't in the draft IMO. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Webb turns out to be as good or better than these guys.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Considering the Giants had the #2 pick and you wanted them to take a quarterback it seems somehwhat relevant. You hinted there are no recent running backs who are the best player on a Super Bowl winner, I'm wondering who are all these top 5 picked QB's who have won Super Bowls recently.

You can do all the scouting you want and it's pretty much all a cr@pshoot. Barkley is the best player in the draft and the only thing I see stopping him from being a great player is a major injury. I find this QB class to be overrated, I think it's pretty clear they all have some flaws. If you had the no-brainer can't miss QB to succeed Eli you take him, that guy isn't in the draft IMO. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Webb turns out to be as good or better than these guys.
The point is you need a great QB to realistically win the Super Bowl, let alone make the playoffs. You're most likely to find great/long term starters in the top 5. It's fine if you think the QBs were bad, NFL GMs thought four of them were top ten picks, 2 in the top 3 picks, so I'm guessing at least one or two of these guys will be successful, especially when the alternative is a RB.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Like Nick Foles, the greatest QB there is.
Eagles have the best roster in the league, and Wentz still had a huge part in getting them to the playoffs. Also you could consider this an outlier, even though I think Foles has some talent, and can play in the right system.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Giants don't have cap space for Dez. Pipe dream. As it stands now, and this could change, OBJ is playing for 8 mill on his contract this year. Cap tight for G Men.
Now that Barkley is in, Giants have to many running backs you think? Pink slips maybe?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Possible franchise QBs? That's a huge overstatement for these 4 guys
Barkley is consensus talent RB on par with the Cowboys Elliott
IF they bypassed a sure franchise QB I would scratch my head but none of these guys are anywhere near that level
Your emotions are way out of whack on this pick. IMHO
But to each their own - We'll see
The football guru's on NFL Network said the same thing They didn't see a franchise QB in the lot.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
So is Webb their QB of the future, or is Manning running the front office? Either way, LOL.

Reaction Score

Geez imagine if all along the Giants drafted their QB of the future last year in the 2nd round? Certainly players have expressed the fact the kid has the goods from what they see all year in practice and quite honestly all of this years QB studs have concerns like any other kid coming out of college. I mean Barkley or a turnover machine in the weak PAC10? Barkley or a concussion protocol victim of the future?

Anyone saying Eli is through, well just give him a line and a running game then let's see. I like the pick the kid he is head and heels over the Chubbs/Guice's and such hence a #2. He runs through tackles but his peripheral slicing and dicing is Sayers-esque at times. We haven't seen anyone with this ability but certainly I get the questions of can the line help him become what he can be while keeping him healthy? I'm guessing they have a plan, let's see the rest of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom