OT: National Dog Day (August 26) Your favorite kinds are? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: National Dog Day (August 26) Your favorite kinds are?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Now Im conflicted.... do I go for a late afternoon walk in the park to look at the dogs... or head to the Ice Cream Parlor for 4 hot dogs Carolina Style :confused:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
View attachment 33951
My guy is a Great Dane/Boxer mix. He is 1.5 years old and is a fabulous dog. ( I have never had either of these breeds). He has the gentleness and love of a Dane ( loves kids, other animals, people in general), sits in your lap, and is an overall loverbug, combined with the energy, playfulness of a boxer.

Meet my 100lb boy, Hagrid.
Nice looking dog!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
This was Otis on fourth of July

Attachments

• IMG_3241.jpg
    IMG_3241.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 109

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sunday park dog census... 1 Schnauzer, 1 toy poodle... a rottweiler puppy, 1 whippet, 1 greyhound (who attempted to lick me), 2 lab puppies (one was pretty curious as I walked by) , and 4 undefined

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
View attachment 33951
My guy is a Great Dane/Boxer mix. He is 1.5 years old and is a fabulous dog. ( I have never had either of these breeds). He has the gentleness and love of a Dane ( loves kids, other animals, people in general), sits in your lap, and is an overall loverbug, combined with the energy, playfulness of a boxer.

Meet my 100lb boy, Hagrid.

Does it look something like this?

great-dane-8723642-59970d377dff6__700.jpg

Reaction Score
View attachment 33930

Yes today is National Dog Day.... how about we use this thread to celebrate them.... feel free to post pics of your pooch... or tell us about them. or mention some of your favorite breeds.

My two favorite dogs were my Akita (Shao Hsiung), who I showed to his championship in only 8 shows, any my Komondor (Zeke) who protected all in the family, even the rabbit and cats.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Something like that. However, the boxer in Hagrid has tempered his size quite a bit. That is one gorgeous creature you have there!

No, not mine. Stock photo. Mine are smaller. They just think they are the biggest thing in the room or at least the most important. I work for them. The small pup:

Maggie.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am guardian to eight Golden Retrievers and cannot imagine life without canine companionship. The pack is comprised of 13-year-old sisters, three of their daughters, ages 7, 8, and 9, a 6-year-old stud (icon photo) and two of his offspring, a male and a female, from the March 17, 2017 litter. They are all AKC champions--it's a minor business of mine--including both 17-month adolescents who earned their championship credentials this summer, but I've had mixed breeds and numerous canines who I didn't show and I didn't love them any less.

Congratulations to all who have opened their hearts and homes to these loyal and loving creatures. May all your four-legged family members live long, happy and healthy lives.
Do you walk them at Chatfield Hollow?

Reaction Score
I'd post photos but find it almost impossible to get the sizes right, Anyway, our current roster is a Dandie Dinmont Terrier (yes, that's actually a breed of dog), a Maltese-long haired Chihuahua mix and a Chihuahua that was supposed to be a foster dog and just stayed on. Anyone who's done fostering knows how that works. All rescues and all really nice, if stubborn. They get along with our seven cats, which is important, as you can imagine.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My alpha

Beautiful pup. Maybe you can answer a question for me. The training facility we used for puppy training of our latest just categorically refuses to take on Golden puppies, saying that aggresive temperment issues have been surfacing with increasing frequency - going off without warning and in a major way. Truth, fiction, prejudice??

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Do not presently have a dog. But best dog we ever had was a Norwegian Elkhound. Very smart, did some Lassie saving life stuff.

This is a stock photo, ours (Buffy) was actually buff/tan colored.

Norwegian-Elkhound.jpg

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Beautiful pup. Maybe you can answer a question for me. The training facility we used for puppy training of our latest just categorically refuses to take on Golden puppies, saying that aggresive temperment issues have been surfacing with increasing frequency - going off without warning and in a major way. Truth, fiction, prejudice??
I've heard about increased nipping in some Golden strains but nearly anyone can name a dozen breeds that are more problematic so this seems odd to me. Besides, as you write, Rocky, they're puppies and all puppies are mouthy. The time to train good manners is when they're young so this breed refusal is puzzling to me.

In general, as I'm sure you know, Golden Retrievers are great family dogs and are trusted around children. They're smart enough to work with the disabled and special needs people and athletic enough to perform in the field retrieving fowl. In fact, about the only thing a Golden can't do is guard your house. It pains me to hear about this training facility but, hopefully, this is an isolated case.

There are no "bad breeds," just people who don't have the understanding or patience to train their canine companions to be good citizens. (In fact, my big guy earned his Canine Good Citizen award).

At twilight, when the golfers have departed, I take six of my Goldens (at 13, the sisters are too fragile) onto the La Costa Country Club Golf Course where they play and mingle with a dozen or more other dogs. There's the occasional minor squabble, especially where food is involved, but the pack has established its order and everyone gets along.

Anyone who's been around dogs for an appreciable amount of time realizes that they're much more agreeable than humans. :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Some really cure pictures. Can't swear to a favorite breed, but we have had -
2 American Eskimo's (sometimes called a Spitz), beautiful dogs, tough and long lived (15 and 17 ours lived to)
1 Cocker Spaniel - he looked like an old man, made it past 10, and was just content to be a doggie
3 Shih-tzus, 2 still with us. Probably my favorite breed, maybe
1 Coton de Toulear, also still with us.

Our male Coton and 2 female Shih-tzu's (our first female dogs) are a family, as we got them all at once just over 9 years ago. He is the last male for us, he is a marker and we couldn't break him of the habit. Otherwise, dumb as could be, but lovable and knows it. Repairing damage will cost a bit when he is no longer here.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
When I found him at the shelter, he weighed a mere 70 lbs, you could see his ribs,
and he was afraid of everything, having been badly abused. He grew healthy and happy, and eventually weighed in at about 130 lbs. of smart, stuborn, loyal, loving and stubborn Chessie. (Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are known to be smart, loyal and very stubborn.) He had been with me for two years before he first barked. Scared himself silly, wondering what had made that loud sound. Around here they say of retrievers, "You tell a Lab, ask a Golden, and negotiate with a Chessie."

He loved kids, hens, and even the Maine Coon Cat we rescued. I spoke only Spanish with him, but he already knew English when he got here. He added a northern U.K. dialect when my wife joined us.

This is a stock photo of another dead grass Chessie. They love getting wet.
Whenever I would jump into the river in front of the house, he would dive in and try to "save" me and tow me to shore.

image.jpeg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Man, is that a misleading title from Triad. I was all
Excited about another Hot Dog day and deciding between Sabrett’s, Hummells, Boars Head, Nathan’s or some other regional maker (Fenway Franks, Dodger Dogs) but NOOOO, this thread was of the living 4 legged type....:oops:
BTW I like mustard, relish and with either raw onions or sauerkraut! ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bump for 2019

A video featuring a beagle.... my favorite breed of dog :)

Cute beagle. I gotta say you are covering all your bases with your profile pic. Davidson didn't last long, on to Charlotte. Is there any team from North Carolina you don't root for (other than those ruffians from Chapel Hill of course)?

Reaction Score
Man, is that a misleading title from Triad. I was all
Excited about another Hot Dog day and deciding between Sabrett’s, Hummells, Boars Head, Nathan’s or some other regional maker (Fenway Franks, Dodger Dogs) but NOOOO, this thread was of the living 4 legged type....:oops:
BTW I like mustard, relish and with either raw onions or sauerkraut! ;)

No dog here, but when in the mood for one or two, my favorite "breed" are the Hummels (natural casing) with a nice "coat" of yellow mustard and sauerkraut. A visit to Dino's (North Haven, CT) on a Tuesday, for their Dog Day (buy one dog get one free), these are the large dogs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
TRIAD:
View attachment 33930

Yes today is National Dog Day.... how about we use this thread to celebrate them.... feel free to post pics of your pooch... or tell us about them. or mention some of your favorite breeds.

TRIAD: this is a layup: my vote is for those that carry trays of food on their backs and respond to "Here Dookey"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom